Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 496 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Riley Chow
  • Profile picture
    leothescorpio
    Topics:

Alsoz awarding Blanchett over 3 black women + breakout performer would be problematic as hell. If there is a year Cate wouldn’t want to win, this is it.

Profile picture
    Moonshadow
    Topics:

Anyone else see this article that claims Dolly Patton’s Heartstrings wasn’t eligible for TV Movie? “These Old Bones” is 85 minutes long.

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2020/netflix-2020-emmy-best-tv-movie-dolly-parton-black-mirror/

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Of course!  I wrote it.  Looking through old posts of mine in the forum, I see that I knew that it was eligible in January, but in April, I thought that it was ineligible.  I must have been confused by the erroneous runtime listed on IMDb.  This is a massive error.  Thanks for the alert.

Profile picture
    JakeT
    Topics:

I’m still not sure this unlikeable character point that keeps coming up is valid, as if you think voters can’t distinguish between the always lovely and very-much-liked Cate Blanchett and the character she plays. For the record, I think Regina has the edge. But I’m still hoping Haas pulls off the win.

Profile picture
    JakeT
    Topics:

Why would you say Washington is going to take away votes from King, specifically?

Profile picture
    Anthony 🐜
    Topics:

So Mark Ruffalo is really leading the odds on Gold Derby?

Can’t be me.

nomam

Profile picture
    Mladen
    Topics:

Alsoz awarding Blanchett over 3 black women + breakout performer would be problematic as hell. If there is a year Cate wouldn’t want to win, this is it.

And this is why Hollywood is so phony about its diversity. These amazing performances, especially the one by King should not be more special because it is black actress. It is special and amazing because it is INCREDIBLY POWERFUL performance by AN ACTRESS.

Taste is subjective and we should fight against racism in the industry. That said, we should also not be afraid of telling what was the best performance.

I absolutely understand what you said. It would be perceived as a problem in the industry. It is just sad. Hollywood has started to take itself far too serious for anyone’s sake.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

So Mark Ruffalo is really leading the odds on Gold Derby?

Can’t be me.

This is Mark Ruffalo’s career-best work. Come through on those GD odds with the Emmy win!

Why would you say Washington is going to take away votes from King, specifically?

Probably something super-offensive like all black women cancel themselves out, just like all white women do.

Profile picture
    DvirBA
    Topics:

If Marc Ruffalo loses I’m DONE.
    The best performance we’ve seen on TV this Emmy cycle

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

i think Mescal takes this

FYC 2020 EMMYS

COMEDY- SCHITTS CREEK in all categories, Maya Rudolph, Eddie Murphy

DRAMA- Killing Eve in all categories, HBC, Cicely Tyson, The Crown in directing

LIMITED- UNBELIEVABLE, Normal People in writing and directing, Toni Collette, Tituss Burgess

FYC OSCARS- Amy Adams

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

It’s interesting because the Best Limited Series/TV Movie Actor race this year is very similar to 2018’s Limited Actress race. You have one person contending for a nominated series (2018: Dockery; 2020: Irons), one for a nominated TV Movie (2018: Dern; 2020: Jackman) and three others who are either their show’s only nomination or whose show is shortlisted in several categories but not series.

I have Paul Mescal and Jeremy Pope at the top because both would fit the mold in this category — at least that of the last three years: the young, hot rising star giving a breakthrough performance. Mescal is contending for the more acclaimed series, but Pope’s “Hollywood” got four acting noms. The latter is also playing an aspiring screenwriter who isn’t credited for his work because he’s black and gay — don’t underestimate that narrative. Ruffalo ranks in third because he was singled out and gives the showiest performance in the category. In fourth I have Hugh Jackman, whom I would rank higher if TV Movies weren’t so disadvantaged in the acting races (see the Allison Janney snub that I predicted from the get-go). And Irons I have in fifth. He’s in the limited series winner, but I don’t think it’s a role they are going to reward.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I actually have Jackman in last and also think we’re underestimating Pope. I mean he has a very strong narrative here and his performance is beloved by people in the industry.

I’ll say this again but I also really wouldn’t be surprised if Uzo Aduba took this. I mean it’s very clear voters didn’t get past episode 5 of Mrs. America but that means they saw Uzo Aduba’s showcase episode and she’s playing Shirley Chisholm! I think Ullman will take votes away from her (I think Martindale is a non factor here) which is why I have Jean Smart second.

With Ruffalo what confuses me is the fact that he got an individual TCA nod but the show didn’t. I mean he’s only the third Limited/Movie Male Actor to get an individual TCA nod since 2004 (the others being Al Pacino and Darren Criss) and that usually indicates who the frontrunner is. However the year both Pacino and Criss won the Emmy and got nominated at TCA not only did their shows get nominated at TCA but they WON at TCA.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Hugh Jackman would win why?  On that note, As the only editor predicting El Camino and with over three quarters of users picking Bad Education, I should explain myself.  I was one of only two editors predicting “Bandersnatch” over Deadwood before the Creative Arts last year.  Ever since “The Abominable Bride” beat All the Way, my rule has been to go with the default winner/established brand if nothing properly steps up as a challenger.  This is because people are not going to vote for something that they have never seen, but they will vote for something that they have seen at some point.

Deadwood had eight nominations opposite two for “Bandersnatch”, but the former missed acting, writing, directing and casting, so it was not really that strong.  These established brands like Black Mirror and Sherlock do not need to amass as many nominations each year because they are the default votes for people who have not seen any of the nominated films (or any of the competing titles).  Oversimplifying, but say that we counted all of the branches that nominated Deadwood over Black Mirror as voting for Deadwood.  I would then count every branch that nominated neither as being for Black Mirror.

The same thing is happening this year.  Bad Education only has one nomination aside from movie, so most voters probably did not see it.  We know that the industry has seen El Camino from its guild nominations, but it does not even need that because it will be the default vote of people who have not seen any of the nominees, since it has Breaking Bad in the title.  Voters have at least seen Breaking Bad, just like they had seen episodes of Black Mirror and Sherlock, even if not the ones that were actually eligible.

Both Bad Education and El Camino scored fewer nominations than I was expecting, but El Camino missing stuff like editing does not really matter because it did not need it anyway, like how Black Mirror missed pretty much everything last year.  What is really bad though is that Bad Education missed Allison Janney.  Missing to Mrs. America would have been fine, but Holland Taylor in Hollywood?  That crosses the line from Janney being pushed out by the heavy competition into just being rejected.  The actors are supposedly the ones carrying Bad Education, yet they snubbed a recent Oscar and Emmy winner giving a performance arguably better than her Oscar one.

I have American Son second as a wild card.  Given that voters do not care about this category, I could see them throwing a vote to something that depicts a Black Lives Matter incident on screen.

Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

I see that he is ranked last but Jeremy Pope is second to Paul Mescal. Hugh Jackman and Jeremy Irons are not contenders for the win.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

I see that he is ranked last but Jeremy Pope is second to Paul Mescal. Hugh Jackman and Jeremy Irons are not contenders for the win.

But Pope is in a poorly received series where he himself has mixed reviews. The only Hollywood Actor who has a chance is probably Parsons, cause he has such a showy role, but the problematic nature of the role holds him back.

Let’s Go Bucks

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions’ is closed to new replies.