Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 496 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Riley Chow
  • Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Having now seen all the competition I’ve decided Haas should sweep. I can see why people expect/want King/Blanchett to win and the political climate makes that likely/inevitable, but for me Haas gave the most natural performance that lingers. Her material was just another level.

FYC:

Antonio Banderas and Asier Etxeandia, Dolor y Gloria (Best Actor/Supporting Actor)
    Emily Beecham, Little Joe (Best Actress)
    Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren, The Good Liar (Best Actor/Actress)

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

I’ll be very disappointed if This Extraordinary Being doesn’t take it. It’s one of the best directed episodes I’ve ever seen on TV.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

We already saw that standout episodes are capable of prevent vote splitting, like Marcia, Marcia, Marcia did in 2016 with another two ACS contenders on writting. “This Extraordinary Being” is Watchmen standout.

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Having now seen all the competition I’ve decided Haas should sweep. I can see why people expect/want King/Blanchett to win and the political climate makes that likely/inevitable, but for me Haas gave the most natural performance that lingers. Her material was just another level.

I think this race is becoming a question of “will people watch Unorthodox?” In my mind, if they do, then Haas wins. I don’t see a world in which you watch the show and still decide to give the Emmy to King or Blanchett.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I’m cautious about Watchmen overcoming a vote-split in directing. Writers are savvier than directors. Veep S5, People vs OJ Simpson and Game of Thrones S8 all had triple nominations in directing. All were predicted to win and all lost, despite winning their series races. GoT even managed to win the casting award largely based on its strength with directors I’m assuming.

The race is further complicated by the fact that the ‘standout’ Watchmen episode was already bested by another episode (the premiere) at DGA. The consensus that exists among us might not exist within the industry, even when factoring in the current socio-political environment.

Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

You’re right, in fact the show’s political message may work for all of the episodes not just for “This Extraordinary Being”.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

If we learned anything from nominations though, it is that we underestimate factors from the current socio-political environment in the industry.  HBO does not tend to play favourites, but even they seem to be telling voters which way to vote in the category with how they have focused their campaign for Watchmen.  I was among the two percent and the only editor to predict Nicole Kassell for DGA (and the odds favoured Stephen Williams ahead of her), but for the Emmy that is being voted on in summer 2020, I am going with the black (Canadian) man for the episode with this Rotten Tomatoes critics consensus: “Revealing and relevant, ‘This Extraordinary Being’ cleverly shows the long-term effects of generational trauma and deep-seated racism.”

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

This Extraordinary Being is also more impressive on a technical level with the black-and-white cinematography and the smooth editing transition between Regina King and Jovan Adepo’s movements.

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

I don’t understand why DGA went with the pilot in the first place. Overcoming vote splitting and beating the juggernauts GOT and Succession only to win for the obviously “inferior” directional achievement just feels weird

I’d feel more comfortable predicting This Extraordinary Being had DGA made it the frontrunner but they just.. didn’t

Well. At least it’ll most likely win Writing I guess

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

This Extraordinary Being is the single most creative, most brilliant, most genius episode of TV of this past Emmy season. I will be damned if it loses directing.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

This Extraordinary Being is also more impressive on a technical level with the black-and-white cinematography and the smooth editing transition between Regina King and Jovan Adepo’s movements.

This is true, but it is not a deciding factor in my predictions, seeing as DGA indicated that they find the challenges inherent with a pilot more impressive to surmount. The reasons that I cited are kind of newer things that are in play.

Profile picture
    jacob121
    Topics:

Someone with more time please dig up the old thread where there were multiple pages of people laughing at my prediction that Gossett Jr. could win. I’ll wait. 🙂

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Not quite multiple pages.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

And I remember talking about a Watchmen dominance in this category on the first page of that tread. I’m glad we all were able to update our predictions and call this.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Yeah, predicting Jesse Plemons was fun while it lasted.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions’ is closed to new replies.