Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 496 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Riley Chow
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What are you talking about? Regina will be a deserving winner.

Kerry Washington too would be a deserving winner.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

Kerry Washington too would be a deserving winner.

Definitely. But I was talking about who will most probably win and I don’t think she has a shot.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I just found out that Stephen Williams directed How to Get Away with Murder’s “Kill Me, Kill Me, Kill Me,” which is probably top 5 for me. Now I want him to win even more!!

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Predictions

Series: Watchmen

Movie: El Camino (RU: Bad Education)

Actor: Paul Mescal, Normal People (RU: Jeremy Irons, Watchmen)

Actress: Regina King, Watchmen (RU: Shira Haas, Unorthodox)

Supporting Actor: Louis Gossett Jr, Watchmen (RU: Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Watchmen)

Supporting Actress: Jean Smart, Watchmen (RU: Toni Collette, Unbelievable)

Direction: Stephen Williams, Watchmen (RU: Nicole Kassell, Watchmen)

Writing: Damon Lindelof & Cord Jefferson, Watchmen

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I just found out that Stephen Williams directed How to Get Away with Murder’s “Kill Me, Kill Me, Kill Me,” which is probably top 5 for me. Now I want him to win even more!!

Stephen Williams is the unsung hero of Lost.  He was a producing director for five years and was never nominated for directing at the Emmys or DGA.  He was mostly freelance last decade.  He did the episode that finally got The Americans into writing, featuring the criminally-snubbed guest spot by Lois Smith.  The next year, he directed Viola Davis’s tape from the second season that was upset.  The year after that, he directed Thandie Newton’s tape from the first season that was also upset.  You could say that this bodes poorly for Jean Smart.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Stephen Williams is the unsung hero of Lost. He was a producing director for five years and was never nominated for directing at the Emmys or DGA. He was mostly freelance last decade. He did the episode that finally got The Americans into writing, featuring the criminally-snubbed guest spot by Lois Smith. The next year, he directed Viola Davis’s tape from the second season that was upset. The year after that, he directed Thandie Newton’s tape from the first season that was also upset. You could say that this bodes poorly for Jean Smart.

I feel more comfortable predicting Uzo Aduba now lol.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

The next year, he directed Viola Davis’s tape from the second season that was upset.

He directed “There’s My Baby” too? What a king.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

I’m not entirely sure why, but I started looking at some more of Hollywood. It’s definitely watchable, and it has some legitimately nice moments, but it’s still not very good. The older actors are far and away the best part. From what I’ve seen Mantello is my favorite. Parsons and McDermott aren’t bad nominees, they’re both actually very good here, but Mantello would’ve been a better choice than both. LuPoje and Taylor is more of a tossup for me. I’m not sure which I prefer. Darren Criss is good, but his role really doesn’t give him much to do. For the younger actors, Pope and Picking are the standouts for me. I wasn’t as sure of Pope before, but I feel like he gets better as it goes on. Corenswet has some okay moments, but as a whole his performance doesn’t work for me. The real weak link is Laura Harrier. I’ve seen her before this and thought she seemed good, but she really doesn’t pull through here, and whenever people praise her acting or seem like their in awe of her talent, it’s laughable as she’s so clearly just not that good.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Anyone else finding it kind of hard to reconcile that the group that chose Jodie Comer over Sandra Oh last year would not choose Shira Haas over Regina King and the group that chose Patricia Arquette over Patricia Clarkson would not consider Tracey Ullman?

Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

I have rewatched Watchmen quite recently and the material for King is simply not there. This one should be between Haas and Blanchett. Also, regarding Mrs. America ladies which are nominated I would vote for Margo Martindale, but who should be winning is Toni Collette.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Regina having the material or not seems almost irrelevant to me. I don’t see how Watchmen wins series and one or both of writing and directing (plus one or both supporting races), but fails to win for three-time Emmy winner Regina King. Different branches, I know, but the optics of Regina not being swept up would be kind of ugly, no? I keep going back to the fact that she’s won twice for a show that was nowhere close to winning the top prize, and then a third time for a canceled Netflix series that no one watched. The love for her is indescribable. Plus, there is also love for this performance; I may not understand all of it, but those final two episodes are really amazing for her. This show doesn’t work without her.

As for supporting, I don’t understand the Tracy-Patty comparison. Patty Arquette was the only nominee from her show in that category and had that surplus of support from her Dannemora nom. I hardly believe Ullman is actually unanimously seen as the standout. If anyone prevails, it will be Uzo Aduba, and I don’t see that happening because that would require for all three of Collette, Smart and Taylor to get close to no votes, which seems unrealistic. Collette should be winning, and she still can. I get that Ullman probably gives the loudest performance (hence the Patty comparison), but I don’t know if that matters in this race.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I highly doubt Collette can still win. Her show bombed completely. If any non Mrs. America actress wins it is Jean Smart imo.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

What, and Patricia Arquette’s show last year did so incredibly well? Toni was still nominated while her more talked about co-stars were snubbed, which must mean something, no? I will never understand it, but that’s just how it is now. The lead actress snubs are ugly, but the show still got into limited series, writing and casting, so I wonder if “bombed” is maybe taking it a bit far. It getting blanked outside of Collette would warrant such a label, but not this.

I never said she will win, I said she can. This race is completely wide open, and even if Watchmen sweeps, there is no guarantee Smart will be swept up. Outside of her big episode, she doesn’t have all that much to do, and there are episodes in which she pops in and out randomly and has very little to do.

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

For me out of the three Mrs America ladies nominated, Tracey Ullman is the clear standout (I’ve spoken with a lot of people who agree with me).

FYC 2020 EMMYS

COMEDY- SCHITTS CREEK in all categories, Maya Rudolph, Eddie Murphy

DRAMA- Killing Eve in all categories, HBC, Cicely Tyson, The Crown in directing

LIMITED- UNBELIEVABLE, Normal People in writing and directing, Toni Collette, Tituss Burgess

FYC OSCARS- Amy Adams

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

And I’ve spoken to a lot of people who thought Aduba or Martindale was the standout — which hardly matters because most people I talked to considered Byrne and Paulson to be the capital S standouts, and look what happened.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions’ is closed to new replies.