Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 496 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Riley Chow
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I don’t see Watchmen winning lead actor and supp. actor. I would so love for it to win the latter category for any one of those three men, but I have realized that there is no unanimous favorite among the three. And Hollywood did too well in the acting races to be ignored, so I have to go with Parsons for my prediction.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

Profile picture
    Anthony 🐜
    Topics:

Isn’t that just as bad as one of the two white women in limited actress winning when there are three deserving women of color nominated?

Look, I completely agree with you. But believe me that there will be comments if Watchmen sweeps but doesn’t pick up either one of lead actress and supp. actor. I, too, would see nothing wrong with it, unless deserving people of color are snubbed across the board. And you’re right, it could very possibly be white people who are behind such comments. Don’t forget that these forums were also filled with comments that suggested that people of color only got nominated because of the climate, an argument I’ve always absolutely hated. I hated it when Viola Davis won her Emmy; I hated it when all of four of 2018’s guest acting races went to actors of color; and I will hate it now too. We’ll never know the real reason why someone was nominated or snubbed, but people only jump to such conclusions for non-white people.

Also, for the record, I am not predicting Regina because of this climate, but because she’s in the limited series winner, a three-time Emmy champ and gives a performance that is very well liked. As I’ve said now many times, she brought it home in those final two episodes, which I am sure voters will recognize too.

I totally understand where you’re coming from, but context and proportionality has to be taken into account with stuff like this. Just as the previous poster said, King losing to Haas for example would make perfect sense in context, because she has the performance to back up a win. Even in a socially charged climate like now. Regina King would absolutely stand and cheer for a Haas win, contrary to what some people might like to believe.

It’s not the people being irked about certain black performances winning awards that’s problematic. It’s the ones (especially non blacks) that “expect” a black win just because, and if it doesn’t happen, they quickly play the race card. There’s nothing more disrespectful than a white person trying to play the black card. Like Ava DuVernay losing the Directing Emmy to a show like Chernobyl, a directing achievement through and through. Not a single black person was driven to outrage, because it makes sense. Chernobyl was one hell of a directing achievement. Yet there was a whole group of non blacks gathering to proclaim their absolute horror at a black woman losing the Emmy to a white man. Ridiculous.

When white people try to lead the outrage and race conversation on black issues, especially when black people are QUIET AND INDIFFERENT TO WHATEVER THE OUTRAGE IS, that’s irksome and incredibly pretentious.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Like Ava DuVernay losing the Directing Emmy to a show like Chernobyl, a directing achievement through and through. Not a single black person was driven to outrage, because it makes sense. Chernobyl was one hell of a directing achievement. Yet there was a whole group of non blacks gathering to proclaim their absolute horror at a black woman losing the Emmy to a white man. Ridiculous.

Thank you so much for mentioning this particular example. Because I remember this article from last year, in which they said this:

“Some saw Chernobyl’s triumphs as robbing Ava DuVernay’s highly praised When They See Us, a searing look at the Central Park Five’s story—another instance of American awards voters’ preference for European history over their own country’s dark past.”

WTSU underperforming as much as it did was surely disappointing for a lot of people, but the race card was immediately pulled. But what if voters just preferred Chernobyl as a show? What if it had nothing to do with the story itself? Conclusions were very quickly, and unfairly, drawn. The whiteness of last year’s winners wasn’t, of course, great nor a good look, but it doesn’t automatically mean the TV academy is racist (though it also doesn’t automatically mean they aren’t). It’s complicated and always will be.

Profile picture
    JanisEye
    Topics:

Chernobyl deserved all of its wins. Truly a masterpiece and I don’t use that word lightly.

Profile picture
    PleaseFeedTheTroll
    Topics:

Are you guys really that bored? Watchmen is winning supporting actress and actor easily. If a guy who is not in Watchmen wins supporting actor, then it is going to be Burgess. No one watches Miss America, and Hollywood has terrible reviews in addition to it not having the greatest viewership either. The fact that “experts” are even insisting on those being in the running is because they are white. If the reception and popularity or non-popularity of the shows were the same but the race of the casts were swapped, there is no way in hell that the people in here foaming out of the mouth about political narratives or whatever interrupting Miss America or Hollywood from their wins remain as insistent. In fact, those same people are probably going to be insisting that the nomination is political and the award. That pattern of behavior right there exhibits the racial bias that the usual awards watchers online have.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I keep remembering that this year is significantly different from last year because of unprecedented external factors when predicting King and Aduba over Haas and Ullman.

This is a big part of why I have them too, but the Emmys have continually surprised us the last couple of years with how strong the winners have been. There variably has been pressure on the Oscars and Emmys to vote a certain way, but they ultimately just choose what they like sometimes. I just want to point out that it would be pretty bad on our part if they surprised us for arguably the third year in a row. If they can switch from Elisabeth Moss still giving an excellent performance to Claire Foy giving an even better one or Donald Glover doing groundbreaking work as Teddy Perkins and everything else that he accomplished on the second season to Bill Hader giving an even better performance, it is well within their means to recognize that although Regina King continues to be outstanding, they can hop over to Shira Haas with what was even more powerful work. I mention Tracey Ullman because she deserves it too. Your mileage will vary of course on these, but I would say that the telecast acting winners have been so justified lately. I never agree with the Oscars, but I actually seem to be on the same wavelength as the Emmys right now.

Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

Thank you so much for mentioning this particular example. Because I remember this article from last year, in which they said this:

“Some saw Chernobyl’s triumphs as robbing Ava DuVernay’s highly praised When They See Us, a searing look at the Central Park Five’s story—another instance of American awards voters’ preference for European history over their own country’s dark past.”

WTSU underperforming as much as it did was surely disappointing for a lot of people, but the race card was immediately pulled. But what if voters just preferred Chernobyl as a show? What if it had nothing to do with the story itself? Conclusions were very quickly, and unfairly, drawn. The whiteness of last year’s winners wasn’t, of course, great nor a good look, but it doesn’t automatically mean the TV academy is racist (though it also doesn’t automatically mean they aren’t). It’s complicated and always will be.

I still think that Niecy Nash should have been in Supporting Actress for When They See Us because the fourth episode would have been a powerhouse submission that would have been deserving of a win last year.

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

If they can switch from Elisabeth Moss still giving an excellent performance to Claire Foy giving an even better one or Donald Glover doing groundbreaking work as Teddy Perkins and everything else that he accomplished on the second season to Bill Hader giving an even better performance, it is well within their means to recognize that although Regina King continues to be outstanding, they can hop over to Shira Haas with what was even more powerful work.

I mostly agree with this sentiment, and I’m fully on the same page that Emmy acting winners the past few years have been pretty great for the most part, but just to play devil’s advocate, there are for sure external factors for those two examples you gave just as their are external factors for King and Aduba this year. For one, I think Atlanta (and maybe even Teddy Perkins specifically) may have always been too cool and inaccessible for the Emmys and Hader with his stellar performance and industry-centric show was the perfect second option. And with Foy, outside of it being her final season and her giving the performance of the decade, I still think actors don’t really love Moss due to her personal stuff (let’s not get into that if you disagree but I’m somewhat convinced).

Point being, while I don’t anticipate any of the winners being weak, I do think it’s pretty likely they will be strong (Regina King) but perhaps not the strongest possible(Shira Haas).

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

What, and Patricia Arquette’s show last year did so incredibly well? Toni was still nominated while her more talked about co-stars were snubbed, which must mean something, no? I will never understand it, but that’s just how it is now. The lead actress snubs are ugly, but the show still got into limited series, writing and casting, so I wonder if “bombed” is maybe taking it a bit far. It getting blanked outside of Collette would warrant such a label, but not this. I never said she will win, I said she can. This race is completely wide open, and even if Watchmen sweeps, there is no guarantee Smart will be swept up. Outside of her big episode, she doesn’t have all that much to do, and there are episodes in which she pops in and out randomly and has very little to do.

Collette was the one that made all the precursors unlike Merritt Wever and Kaitlyn Dever. She’s also the most recognizable name of the three so it’s not a shock that she was able to get in. That doesn’t mean Unbelievable didn’t fall flat on its face ’cause it did.

You mean Chernobyl with its 18 nominations spread out over almost every single branch in the Limited Series category? That Chernobyl? Hence my comparison to it. 3 acting nominations is support enough for me. When They See Us with all the Emmy acting support in the world (9 acting nominations) couldn’t sweep and walked away with 2 Emmys. Only one for acting.

Watchmen has 26 noms from the same network and pretty much hit everywhere it could get in as well. Also, the WTSU comparison doesn’t make sense (I don’t know why you’d compare the two other than both having racial themes); Chernobyl was a heavy hitting competitor with plenty of tech support and therefore more voters gravitated towards that. There is no formidable opponent to Watchmen this year. In fact, it has the strengths of both WTSU and Chernobyl with acting, writing, directing, and tech support allllll around. It has all of its bases covered.

Profile picture
    Villeneuve
    Topics:

Kerry would be the worst winner of the last several years, so don’t even say that there are multiple black winners who deserve to win, the only one who really has the performance is Regina, Haas or Blanchett winning would be amazing as well, casue they were great, specially Cate who is the best one in the category and now probably won’t win

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Unbelievable and “Kimmy vs the Reverend” are analogous to Better Call Saul and Unbelievable Kimmy Schmidt for me.  Sure, their support is obviously broad enough for a series nomination, but there is no passion and they are not going to default to a win with their key misses.  The Emmys will always find somebody, even outside of the series nominees like Louie Anderson or Ben Mendelsohn.

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Octavia was just brought up in the Globes thread, and I’m not sure if we discussed that really post-GD awards. When nominations came out, I think many of us (myself included) chalked that nom up to a name-check. But then the GD awards nominated her, not that those are flawless either, but still. If a name-check is going to happen I’d argue either at the Emmys or the awards here, it’s usually in a weak category, not something as crowded as limited actress this year. So basically, how did we miss it this bad? Is it a result of our bubble being too much of an echo chamber? Was it all the old academy talking? And if you are going to die on the hill that nobody watched Self-Made and Octavia got in only on her name, why her and not Helen Mirren for Catherine the Great?

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

What’s more shocking is that she was in ninth place for “Truth Be Told” with us.

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

Kerry would be the worst winner of the last several years, so don’t even say that there are multiple black winners who deserve to win, the only one who really has the performance is Regina, Haas or Blanchett winning would be amazing as well, casue they were great, specially Cate who is the best one in the category and now probably won’t win

Lmfaoooooooooooo

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Nominations: Movie/Limited Reactions’ is closed to new replies.