Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 2)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 496 through 508 (of 508 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca Giliberti
hopelesstar
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

If we went by the nominations, then it seems like voters haven’t watched anything outside of Succession and maybe the Crown. It’s so hard to tell.

Edit: They probably haven’t seen The Crown either because those two noms don’t represent S3 well at all.

And with “voters” I mean the actors’ branch because the writers and directors certainly watched and loved both Ozark and The Crown.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If we went by the nominations, then it seems like voters haven’t watched anything outside of Succession and maybe the Crown. It’s so hard to tell.

Edit: They probably haven’t seen The Crown either because those two noms don’t represent S3 well at all.

Well in terms of ‘voters’ it’s quite obvious the writers have seen both Better Call Saul and Ozark for them to have exploded in writing.

In terms of the acting branch it’s clear they’ve seen Succession. Maybe they’ve seen The Morning Show (but then why would you nominate Steve Carell?) They could very well have seen Ozark and just decided to snub Pelphrey and McTeer in the same way they chose to snub Jessie Buckley for Chernobyl (I have a weird feeling we’re generally underestimating Ozark considering how it exploded with writers and other crafts people whilst Succession more or less only exploded with actors and editors).

I think the writers have seen all the shows nominated for Series though (apart from maybe The Mandalorian lol) which is why they dropped Killing Eve, Stranger Things and Handmaid’s for three Ozark episodes.

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

The actors were, quite frankly, lazy. They were aware of the climate and I guess did well on that front, but it seems as though they actually forgot to watch the recent seasons of these shows (save for Succession). I don’t know anyone – anyone! – who wouldn’t say Pelphrey was the standout next to Linney. I don’t know anyone who would watch THT S3 and check off Wiley before Dowd and Strahovski. And where are Julie Dretzin and O-T Fagbenle? I mean, this is ridiculous. They check off Brown, Rashad and Cephas Jones from TIU, but don’t go back to McRaney, who has a giant monologue in the finale? Then they go for Streep and Dern in supp. actress but couldn’t get Kidman across the finish line? They watched The Crown and thought none of O’Connor, Lapotaire, Menzies and Dance deserved nominations? And let’s not even mention BCS, a show they clearly aren’t watching.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Would Watchmen win over Succession if it had competed as a drama series? I think it would, moreover it would have more acting nominations thanks to guest categories.

“Watchmen” would have still been the nominations leader at this year’s “woke” Emmys, but I think that “Succession” would have maintained most (not all) of its nominations haul and made it to the finish line as the Drama Series victor. The thinking would be that one is “due,” and the other’s time will arrive later.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

So nominations are so bizarre, the only shows with coherent noms are Succession and Killing Eve.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Maybe they’ve seen The Morning Show (but then why would you nominate Steve Carell?)

Because Carell is known in the industry as being a really nice guy and to them it’s impressive he played a role like this

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

The actors were, quite frankly, lazy. They were aware of the climate and I guess did well on that front, but it seems as though they actually forgot to watch the recent seasons of these shows (save for Succession). I don’t know anyone – anyone! – who wouldn’t say Pelphrey was the standout next to Linney. I don’t know anyone who would watch THT S3 and check off Wiley before Dowd and Strahovski. And where are Julie Dretzin and O-T Fagbenle? I mean, this is ridiculous. They check off Brown, Rashad and Cephas Jones from TIU, but don’t go back to McRaney, who has a giant monologue in the finale?

I think it’s more than obvious that not enough actors watched S3 of both Ozark and The Crown. I just don’t see how voters would watch the most recent season of both shows and still decide to snub the likes of Pelphrey, Lapotaire and O’Connor. I think Dretzin suffered from her show having aired way long ago and not enough voters remembered her. O.T. is a mystery to me. He has been a series regular since season 1 and he’s a PoC. So…I really don’t know what happened.

FYC Emmys: Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress), Olivia Colman (Drama Actress), Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress), Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress), Zendaya (Drama Actress), Alexis Bledel (Drama Guest Actress)

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

They have watched the crown and thought, like most of us, that it was a complete forgettable bore.

Pelphrey is inexplicable tho if the have watched Ozark. Unless they don’t want to vote for actors who are only doing 1 season, which would explain Gugu’s snub too?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

They have watched the crown and thought, like most of us, that it was a complete forgettable bore. Pelphrey is inexplicable tho if the have watched Ozark. Unless they don’t want to vote for actors who are only doing 1 season, which would explain Gugu’s snub too?

Isn’t Carell only on TMS for one season? Otherwise I’d be inclined to agree as that is what they did with Corey Stoll for the first season of House of Cards.

I agree more with Estrelas that not enough actors saw The Crown or Ozark. After all at least with The Crown that makes sense because if they only saw the first three episodes of season 3 the only people an actor who is a fan of the show would probably check off are Colman and Bonham Carter seeming how focused episodes 2 and 3 were on them (they could have also checked off Watkins but his performance isn’t really one Emmy voters tend to go for imo).

FYC Emmys : THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, SUCCESSION AND THE CROWN IN ALL CATEGORIES. Tony Shalhoub ("Maisel"), Cate Blanchett ("Mrs. America"), Matthew Macfadyen, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook ("Succession"), Tracey Ullman ("Mrs. America") and Louis Gossett Jr. ("Watchmen")

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I think it’s more than obvious that not enough actors watched S3 of both Ozark and The Crown. I just don’t see how voters would watch the most recent season of both shows and still decide to snub the likes of Pelphrey, Lapotaire and O’Connor. I think Dretzin suffered from her show having aired way long ago and not enough voters remembered her. O.T. is a mystery to me. He has been a series regular since season 1 and he’s a PoC. So…I really don’t know what happened.

Voters made a concerted effort this year to seek out established names and POC nominees. They can’t nominate everything and everybody. Someone would inevitably miss out, and lack of name recognition might be a big cause of that.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

That said, I was always worried abour Fagbenle and Dretzin because no one outside of Gold Derby talked or wrote about them. Rob’s interview and my article are the only things I saw for Fagbenle. There is a general problem among pundits who only talk about and push the main players and some fringe contenders.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

They have watched the crown and thought, like most of us, that it was a complete forgettable bore. Pelphrey is inexplicable tho if the have watched Ozark. Unless they don’t want to vote for actors who are only doing 1 season, which would explain Gugu’s snub too?

O’Connor and Hunter could’ve been hurt by only appearing in the second half of their seasons as well.

Viewing 13 posts - 496 through 508 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.