Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Nominations: Variety Reactions

Emmys 2020 Nominations: Variety Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Riley Chow
Atypical
Brayden Fitzs..
  • Profile picture
    Paul Sheehan
    Topics:

Comment here about the 2020 Emmy nominations for variety. The best ones will be featured in an article.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Yes Daily Show

James Corden missed !!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Nate
    Topics:

No Late Late Show?

And it looks like that sliding scale slid down to only three shows for sketch.

It looks like Sticks and Stones is the show to beat in special.

And congrats to both the Fab 5 and the Shark Tank crew for both making it into host!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

I quite accidentally predicted a Corden snub in favor of Kimmel for Variety Talk Series and got 5/5 in the category. Honestly, the 100/1 odds on Kimmel were irresistible, lol. Do not overthink it is the point, I guess.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Guess I have to lump Reality reactions in here. Nice to see some new blood in Host! The “Queer Eye” guys deserve it, but the “Shark Tank” hosts, not so much. Happy for “A Black Lady Sketch Show” making the cut! It’ll lose to “SNL,” but getting this level of exposure is the prize. Angela Bassett!!! “The Masked Singer”? Jesus. “Making the Cut” was right there…get that third consecutive Emmy win, “RuPaul’s Drag Race”!

Variety: Dumping Corden was a genuine shocker! That would have been the sixth nominee without the nominee caps in place.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Corden got snubbed?

Well hello let's celebrate that

FYC: Lil Baby
    The Bigger Picture - ROTY, SOTY, Rap Song, Mel. Rap Perf.

FYC: Phoebe Bridgers - Best New Artist
    Punisher - AOTY, Alt. Album
    Kyoto - ROTY, Rock Performance
    I Know The End - Rock Song, Best Music Video
    Punisher (song) - SOTY, Pop Solo
    Graceland Too - Americana Song, Americana Performance

FYC: Conan Gray - BNA
    The Story - SOTY

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dominique Deveraux
    Topics:

A Black Lady Sketch Show was snubbed for Variety Writing, but I am happy to see the show itself was nominated for Variety Sketch Series.

FYC 2021 Oscars: Jennifer Hudson (Respect), Viola Davis (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom), Glenn Close (Hillbilly Elegy), Ariana DeBose (West Side Story)

FYC 2021 Grammys: Ledisi (Trad. R&B Perf. - "Anything For You")

Who am I? You'll find out soon. Ciao, for now!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

After James Corden and The Late Show continued to clean up last year with nine nominations including a program win over both Hannah Gadsby and Beyoncé, Corden and The Late Show got just one nomination this year, despite the same savvy/thirsty submissions strategies.  No idea where that came from, but good riddance!  Nothing against Corden of course and I appreciated the game play, but he has been amply awarded, so I am happy that others will be getting a turn.

Jimmy Kimmel bounced back to its best haul in years, but we can chalk that up to him hosting.  It is taking a little longer than anticipated, but I still imagine that he is on the way out to give someone else a turn.

Another pleasant surprise was sketch series only having three nominees.  I did not think that the academy would have it in them to draw that line.  To my credit, an apparent tie in variety series directing resulted in an extra nominee. Saturday Night Live has its fewest nominations in four years!

Trevor Noah finally exploded in nominations, tripling its haul from last year.  It is honestly win-competitive, which is not something that has been the case for any talk series but Last Week Tonight in years.

Good to see the Fab Five finally nominated.  It really was just a persisting anomaly.  Glad that they dropped Honest Trailers.  They got four consecutive nominations.  They are not what they were.  Move along!  With Between Two Ferns ineligible for movie because of its runtime, I am glad to see it kind of fraudulently in Honest Trailers‘ place in short form.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

What was surprising about Variety Sketch Series? That they actually followed their new rules and capped the nominees? The “sliding scale” language is vague. Only 14 contenders on the ballot, which translates to “0-4 nominees.” Why 3 and not 4? Is this proportional only? What would disband the category all together? 3 or fewer shows on the ballot? Disqualifications?

Never thought about anyone genuinely competing with John Oliver until now. What’s Trevor Noah been up to lately that led to the uptick in nods? Increased quality in his shows? New writers? Finally finding his “groove” post-Stewart? I think I read an article about Noah saying that he’s found his “voice” in the quarantined shows. Better late than never lol!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

Yep, after six-nominee slates, I expected them to take advantage of the vague language and max out at four.  Two years of thirteen submissions is actually what it takes to disband the category without intervention, so they are not even officially on probation yet.

I do not watch The Daily Show (because it is on too often), so no idea.  The Creative Arts should reveal what mood the voters are in overall this year.  TCA could also be telling.  In terms of specific races, editing is double Dave Chappelle versus double John Oliver versus single Trevor Noah.  Writing is the other one to watch.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kay
    Topics:

Can Trevor Noah win? I want his show to win soooo bad.

And good riddance to James Corden. Serves him right for stealing Beyoncé’s Emmys. I hope he gets zero noms next year

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

I did end up switching to The Daily Show.  We know from the nominations that it is within striking distance, so can it close the gap?  Something like comedy series might be too high-profile for the voters to really shake it up, but something like talk series, where they probably do not have a strong preference anyway, is an easier outlet for enough of them to vote with a social agenda to contribute to a plurality.  We already saw this in the nominations.  Black performers comprise a third of the primetime acting nominees, but the majority of the Creative Arts acting nominees.  This is double what we got in primetime last year, but triple what we got at the Creative Arts.

Diving deeper into the nominations, the only one that John Oliver actually has over Trevor Noah is technical direction. Oliver got song and production design, but Noah did not submit for either. (Noah got short form, but Oliver did not submit for that.) Oliver has two editing nominations, but he only submitted two. Noah submitted eight times in editing, so it is miraculous that he even got one nomination. Other than in technical direction, there is not really any way to tell from the nominations who did better in that round.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.