Home Forums Television 2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 6)

2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 513 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
Riley Chow
boss
  • Profile picture
    nat1612
    Topics:

New poster to these forum but I have been reading these forums for quite awhile now. I’m certainly no expert so my comments are purely based on my opinions.

I just finished watching the 3rd season of The Crown, and while the show has AMAZING  production values, I actually found this season quite boring. I would have preferred they kept the same actors and just aged them up, and while Olivia Colman & HBC are great actors, I just don’t feel there was enough material for them to truly shine and deserve a win in their respective categories.

I enjoyed BLL but not as much as the first season, and Meryl was so hyped up prior that I was essentially left underwhelmed at the end of it. I would prefer Laura Dern over Meryl Steep if only one could be nominated.

Again, THT has amazing production values and some great performances, but boring and depressing. It’s just not enjoyable to watch.

Finally I think most in this forum underestimate MBB. Perhaps not on her ability to be nominated or win, as that’s not always based on who actually gives the best performance, but certainly on her impressive skills as an actress. She is playing a true character here, the complete opposite of her real personality, even down to changes in accent (obviously), tone of voice, and even the way she smiles. And the role offers her so much more range which she handles with ease each and every time. The material she had in season 3 gave her a much better performance imo.

Profile picture
    Lance
    Topics:

Schitts Creek is such an underestimated show. I was so glad that the Emmys finally gave the show the recognition it deserved, hopefully the Globes and the Emmys can give it some more noms and maybe even some wins for O’Hara and Levy (both of them). Maybe even Writing, cause the writing on the show is some of the funniest on television.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Awkwafina’s comedy series “Nora From Queens” premiers January 22nd.

Profile picture
    GregSprinkles
    Topics:

No, they don’t. A performer that appears in half/more than half of the episodes of a season shouldn’t compete with one or two episode stints.

I believe there should be an appeal process for people who appear in half or more of a season. One instance where this could’ve been justified was Louis Herthum in the first season of Westworld. He had an absolutely brilliant showcase in the first episode that really wowed a lot of people. But after that, his character gets decommissioned and all of his other scenes were just him standing still, looking like a deactivated robot. I specifically remember he appeared in half of the episodes that season. So despite only having one episode where he actually did anything besides stand still and stare blankly, he was forced to compete in supporting where he never stood a chance of getting a nomination.

Another instance where this could be justified is Jerome Flynn in the last season of Game of Thrones. He appeared in exactly three scenes over the course of an entire season. Unfortunately for him, there were only six episodes, and all of his scenes were in different episodes. Carice van Houten probably had more screentime in her single episode than he did over the course of the season, but because he was in half of the episodes, he wasn’t eligible for guest. For the record, I’m not saying he should’ve been nominated in guest. I’m just saying that it’s ridiculous for someone to be forced out of guest when they only have three scenes.

If there was an appeal process, performers who had the same amount of material as a guest but the episode count of a supporting player could have a chance to be eligible in the category that they’re more suited for.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Awkwafina’s comedy series “Nora From Queens” premiers January 22nd.

She’s coming for that Comedy Actress Emmy

Profile picture
    Lance
    Topics:

Succession better get the nominations it deserves. It was the best season of television this year in my opinion, and that TWIST!!!!! It should get noms for Series, Lead Actor (Cox and maybe Strong), Supporting Actor (Culkin), Directing and Writing ( Tern Haven). I would really like if Sarah Snook could get in for Lead but the competition is too stiff. Even Macfadyen could possibly get in Supporting if the category is as open as it seems now.

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

Freddie Highmore was amazing on the winter finale of The Good Doctor. It’s unfortunate that the Emmys always ignores him.

Profile picture
    musterd
    Topics:

No, they don’t. A performer that appears in half/more than half of the episodes of a season shouldn’t compete with one or two episode stints.

The principle looks sound but then you end up with a situation like Jared Harris missing a Guest nom for The Crown because he has 2 second scenes in more episodes which disqualified him. And he would have been a very deserving winner in Guest.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by musterd.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by musterd.
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

New poster to these forum but I have been reading these forums for quite awhile now. I’m certainly no expert so my comments are purely based on my opinions.

I just finished watching the 3rd season of The Crown, and while the show has AMAZING  production values, I actually found this season quite boring. I would have preferred they kept the same actors and just aged them up, and while Olivia Colman & HBC are great actors, I just don’t feel there was enough material for them to truly shine and deserve a win in their respective categories.

I enjoyed BLL but not as much as the first season, and Meryl was so hyped up prior that I was essentially left underwhelmed at the end of it. I would prefer Laura Dern over Meryl Steep if only one could be nominated.

Again, THT has amazing production values and some great performances, but boring and depressing. It’s just not enjoyable to watch.

Finally I think most in this forum underestimate MBB. Perhaps not on her ability to be nominated or win, as that’s not always based on who actually gives the best performance, but certainly on her impressive skills as an actress. She is playing a true character here, the complete opposite of her real personality, even down to changes in accent (obviously), tone of voice, and even the way she smiles. And the role offers her so much more range which she handles with ease each and every time. The material she had in season 3 gave her a much better performance imo.

I think that you get bored too easy and that you missed the point in regards of THT since is not meant to be enjoyable in the sense of ¨to feel good after you have finished an episode¨, and The Crown is too psychological and retrospective to be as enjoyable and fun to watch like ST for example.

But kudos to your description of MBB acting, she is constantly underestimated here, because people cannot stand the fact that her talent is as big as her stardom. She has a tremendous versatility (much bigger than some of the favorites of this forum) as a performer and there is nothing she cannot do, so far, Strahovski is the only actress that I would reward in front of her.

Profile picture
    sofan
    Topics:

The principle looks sound but then you end up with a situation like Jared Harris missing a Guest nom for The Crown because he has 2 second scenes in more episodes which disqualified him. And he would have been a very deserving winner in Guest.

The blame lies with the showrunners/writers they should be able to conclude a guest arc on less than half of the episodes (see Cherry Jones in Succession season 2) and if they can’t do that (see Holly Hunter in Succession season 2) then that arc is not a guest arc but it is more important to the story. This is why, in my opinion, that rule is actually important.

Profile picture
    GregSprinkles
    Topics:

The blame lies with the showrunners/writers they should be able to conclude a guest arc on less than half of the episodes (see Cherry Jones in Succession season 2) and if they can’t do that (see Holly Hunter in Succession season 2) then that arc is not a guest arc but it is more important to the story. This is why, in my opinion, that rule is actually important.

I still think people should be allowed to go guest if they’re in half the episodes. I’ll never not feel bad for Peter MacNicol. Having a nomination revoked for 15 seconds of screentime (even if it was one of the funniest moments in the entire show) is just wrong. At least he finally got another nomination this last season.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

AFI TOP 10 TV PROGRAMS OF 2019

Chernobyl
    The Crown
    Fosse/Verdon
    Game of Thrones
    Pose
    Succession
    Unbelievable
    Veep
    Watchmen
    When They See Us

Special Award – Fleabag

Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

AFI TOP 10 TV PROGRAMS OF 2019 – Chernobyl The Crown Fosse/Verdon Game of Thrones Pose Succession Unbelievable Veep Watchmen When They See Us Special Award – Fleabag

I was iffy on Watchmen being an Emmy player, but now I don’t have any doubt.

Profile picture
    kellis
    Topics:

I was iffy on Watchmen being an Emmy player, but now I don’t have any doubt.

Golden Globe and Emmy Drama Series nominee Watchmen. Yup yup.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Also got banned because...reasons? So, I guess ciao.

Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

Also I think if we’ve learned anything in the past few years it’s this: NEVER doubt Regina King at the Emmy’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.