Home Forums Television 2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 6)

2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 519 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
Riley Chow
boss
  • jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

Watchmen has gotten in at WGA, ADG, CDG and now ACE Eddie. It only missed at CAS, conversely the only place Stranger Things has made it in so far.

A decent guild run so far but could easily be snubbed, unfortunately, given Emmy voters’ tastes and the heavy competition. They haven’t exactly been friendly towards Lindelof properties historically, even when they have been hyped and praised by critics. The real test, I think, will be if it can get in at PGA or DGA (it was never getting in with the SAG crowd so that snub doesn’t concern me as much). I still think King makes it, though, even without series.

Also, re: Unbelievable – nothing is “locked” for Emmys in December.They tend to have a short memory. Being easily accessible on Netflix will help but definitely not guaranteed at all.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  jacob121.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  jacob121.
    nat1612
    Participant
    Topics:

Watchmen has gotten in at WGA, ADG, CDG and now ACE Eddie. It only missed at CAS, conversely the only place Stranger Things has made it in so far.

I’m not surprised Watchmen didn’t get a nomination at SAG. I’ve only watched the first 2 episodes so far, but it is extremely weird and doesn’t seem their type at all. Not sure Emmy’s will be much different. Whereas SAG have always loved ST.

mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not surprised Watchmen didn’t get a nomination at SAG. I’ve only watched the first 2 episodes so far, but it is extremely weird and doesn’t seem their type at all. Not sure Emmy’s will be much different. Whereas SAG have always loved ST.

Technically it did get a SAG nomination (stunt ensemble). And if it hits PGA/DGA, it’s in at the Emmys regardless of the idiotic globes shut out.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I can’t wait for people to underpredict Handmaid’s at the Emmys once again when it’s been getting at almost every single guild. Praise be.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, re: Unbelievable – nothing is “locked” for Emmys in December.They tend to have a short memory. Being easily accessible on Netflix will help but definitely not guaranteed at all.

PGA and DGA are yet to be announced but so far it has hit critics’ lists, AFI, WGA, Critics Choice, Golden Globes and SAG. None of the previous limited series in recent years that has aired in summer/fall managed to accomplish all of these. I think it is in.

Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

PGA and DGA are yet to be announced but so far it has hit critics’ lists, AFI, WGA, Critics Choice, Golden Globes and SAG. None of the previous limited series in recent years that has aired in summer/fall managed to accomplish all of these. I think it is in.

It is in. The subject matter is there and it’ll mostly likely be Netflix’s main pony here.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t wait for people to underpredict Handmaid’s at the Emmys once again when it’s been getting at almost every single guild. Praise be.

Yes, agree, one of my favorite things is watching the members of this forum realizing how they f*cked up their predictions once again because of THT.

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes, agree, one of my favorite things is watching the members of this forum realizing how they f*cked up their predictions once again because of THT.

Who was not predicting The Handmaid’s Tale for its first two seasons? Obviously, if it is nominated by every guild this season people will keep predict as well.

Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

We have seen so many fall miniseries do markedly better at the guilds than the Emmys (Escape at Dannemora, Maniac, Sharp Objects, Show Me a Hero come immediately to mind), but a major exception has been Godless, which bodes well for Unbelievable with it also being Netflix and Unbelievable has gotten more than Godless too.

Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not ready for This Is Us to flop here as well… now what will I defend and root for that everybody hates??

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Currently (this is excluding the smaller guilds which is probably a large oversight)

Watchmen- Critics Choice, WGA
    Stranger Things- SAG
    Succession- Critics Choice, WGA, Golden Globes
    Handmaids- WGA, SAG
    BLL- GG, SAG (but SAG underperformance)
    Morning Show- GG, SAG over performance w/o Ensemble
    The Crown- GG, SAG, WGA, Critics Choice

I can’t tell how there’s any sense of whats doing the second best besides The Crown. Handmaids has hit both guilds but lost critical support and won’t have visibility from the second biggest awards show of the year. Succession/Watchmen has writers and critics (which isn’t shocking) but only the former can get a real visibility boost with the Globes. BLL is in trouble if it can’t get Kidman/Meryl in at SAG nor anything at WGA, but then again how could the Morning Show get Crudup/Carrel but not an ensemble nom over Stranger Things? and Stranger Things looked done but then it came back right as it needed to today? Handmaids has the most guild crossover which means the most academy voters, but will it win anything?

Point being, The Crown doesn’t seem to have any threat for series at all, even with a somewhat underwhelming reception.

Couverture
    Participant
    Topics:

The Crown slightly underperformed with Editors otherwise it is doing great. The Editors only nominated Watchmen of the shows you mentioned so there is slight support outside of writers/critics. I expect it to hit DGA.

Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

PGA can go to The CrownGame of Thrones, Succession or even The Morning Show at this point.  That will reveal what is really ahead because this all has been inconclusive so far.  Game of Thrones winning would put to rest whether it would have won with actual competition at the Emmys, especially since it has done better at the Emmys than PGA historically.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Who was not predicting The Handmaid’s Tale for its first two seasons? Obviously, if it is nominated by every guild this season people will keep predict as well.

Come May/June, people will find new reasons as to why it’ll underperform. And look, ofc it can still underperform, but if someone’s telling me that, for instance, MBB is ahead of both Strahovski and Dowd in that SA race, then I just won’t get it – or that five million different people are ahead of Moss. I will boldly proclaim that Handmaid’s is getting into series, actress, supporting actress (Strahovski, maybe Dowd), supporting actor (Whitford, maybe Fiennes), guest actress (it could get up to three), guest actor (it could also get up to three) and perhaps writing and directing. It’s not gonna win anything beyond the guest categories and maybe, maybe supporting actress (though it’s shaping up to be the HBC award), but it’ll surely get around 20 nods again.

I will also say right now that Aniston and Crudup will probably be TMS’s representations at the Emmys. The TV academy will not go for this show in drama series, let alone the writing and directing categories. Carell is a SAG-only thing (hopefully). The show is too OTT, soapy and ridiculous to land with Emmy voters – in the same way that I never ever predicted Empire to get beyond Taraji P. Henson.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

You haven’t keep up with the discussions here, on the contrary you have never said that. Luca is correct. People here always think that the show will be snub and always overperforms (in their eyes). They are constantly not predicting it… Now with SAG, most of the people commenting on the forum did not predicted either the show or Moss.

I made my prediction back in July and I still stay behind it, THT is a lock for Drama, Moss, Strahovski, Whitford, Bledel, Writing, Directing, Editing, Cinematography, Music and Costumes. With strong possibilities for Dowd, Fiennes, Brewer, Fagbenle, Dretzin and Meloni.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.