Home Forums Television 2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 6)

2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 513 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
Riley Chow
boss
  • jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

it’s frustrating Handmaid’s won so many awards for 3 episodes this year.

Amen. The same season of a show shouldn’t be able to compete twice – you would think that this would be obvious to the Emmy rule makers but at least now they are making moves after the embarrassment of having three episodes become the second most nominated drama series.

I feel like King (and Watchmen in general) would be stronger in drama than limited, and nothing has happened to suggest it won’t be submitted as a drama despite the uncertainty over a second season.

Nothing except the explicit words of the creator and show runner?

King won in literally the least competitive year in that category like ever lol.

You can continue to undercut her win all you like but that doesn’t change the fact that she beat heavy hitters like Dern and Falco for a vehicle that not even television die-hards watched. That is a show of true popularity (not even touching her Oscar win, of course). My point being, she’s a threat regardless of where she is campaigned.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Nothing except the explicit words of the creator and show runner?

except Lindleoff doesn’t really have the power here, HBO does, and they have pretty consistently called this a SEASON, not a series. And honestly, maybe you can call this too big of a swing, but Watchmen is the closest they’ve come to a new GOT in terms of a genre critical and commercial breakout. As much as I’d like to see it, I doubt HBO drops this after one season.

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder when season 4 of Fargo will premiere. If it premieres in time that’ll just add to the competition in the limited series categories.

They have lost Mrs. America and Devs to Hulu, so right now they don’t have any limited series contender for this year unless you count American Horror Story: 1984. That’s why I think they’ll make sure it airs just in time.

Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

You can continue to undercut her win all you like but that doesn’t change the fact that she beat heavy hitters like Dern and Falco for a vehicle that not even television die-hards watched. That is a show of true popularity (not even touching her Oscar win, of course). My point being, she’s a threat regardless of where she is campaigned.

Lol I’m not undercutting her win. That specific year was truly weak as hell, and nobody watched Dern or Falco’s shows/movies either lol so it’s not like she beat them when their shows were juggernauts lol. You clearly are a stan though so you’re not going to see things clearly. She wouldn’t beat Blanchett, Kidman, Witherspoon or Wever when their shows are wayyyy more up the Emmy’s alley than a comic book adaptation.

Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Other changes, not necessarily in that link and sometimes seemingly directly in response to a specific nomination:
    – You cannot get nominated for crossovers if you are also submitting for your main series, e.g. Viola Davis on Scandal
    – You cannot submit more than two directors on a single episode, e.g. Who is America?
    – One of the half-hour sound mixing nominees must be multi-camera now, like in comedy directing
    – The song category is now a popular vote, following the other music categories last year, so no more The Good Fight; This is Us will be able to campaign for whatever Mandy Moore song they come up with this year
    – Makeup and hair are now split between contemporary and period as opposed to series and limited, following the lead of costumes and production design (and you cannot submit for both contemporary and period, as you can at the makeup guild)
    – The short form maximum has been increased from fifteen to seventeen minutes
    – Supporting visual effects eligibility has been tightened
    – A bunch of interactive and reality categories have been renamed

mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

@jacob121 What about Lindelof’s words suggested Watchmen would be submitted as a limited series? He never directly addresses the submission issue, he hasn’t completely ruled out his involvement in a potential season 2, and has stated that he would support a new showrunner if HBO decide on renewing it.

There could be no confirmation whatsoever of a season 2 by July and they could still submit it as a drama – they’re not obligated to submit in limited. Nothing is clear cut, otherwise they would’ve submitted as limited at the winter awards.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

jjjmoss
    Participant
    Topics:

Wow, Handmaid’s Tale its impact and influence! It deserved even more wins than it received too.

Though this isn’t the first time hanging episodes got pushed in by Emmy voters; it happened with Freaks and Geeks & China Beach too.

One of the half-hour sound mixing nominees must be multi-camera now, like in comedy directing –

To be consistent then, they should follow suit with Cinematography and Picture Editing: nix the multi-camera categories and just force one of the cinematography and editing nominees to be multi-camera

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

They have lost Mrs. America and Devs to Hulu, so right now they don’t have any limited series contender for this year unless you count American Horror Story: 1984. That’s why I think they’ll make sure it airs just in time.

i think it’s actually the opposite, because they didn’t lose these series to Hulu, but rather they’re part of the brand expansion. Landgraf from FX is still the in charge of the upcoming “FX on Hulu”, so i believe they will still be considering these series their own and campaigning for them.

jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

o be consistent then, they should follow suit with Cinematography and Picture Editing: nix the multi-camera categories and just force one of the cinematography and editing nominees to be multi-camera

Yep.

puck05
    Participant
    Topics:

HBO’s The Plot Against America premieres March 16. What do you guys think about its awards chances?

furbul
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s David Simon so I guess not great chances unfortunately.

Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

HBO’s The Plot Against America premieres March 16. What do you guys think about its awards chances?

Yes! Can’t wait for this one. I hope Ryder happens.

puck05
    Participant
    Topics:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/olivia-colman-hbo-crime-series-landscapers-alexander-payne-direct-1203449792/

It looks like Olivia Colman won’t leave the Emmys race anytime soon.

musterd
    Participant
    Topics:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/olivia-colman-hbo-crime-series-landscapers-alexander-payne-direct-1203449792/

It looks like Olivia Colman won’t leave the Emmys race anytime soon.

Maximising her opportunities to win at least one.

The real life story is messed up.

OhJulian
    Participant
    Topics:

I know that it’s an niche show but i wish Disentchantment would get some Emmy love. It’s vastly better than the newer Simpsons episodes (and they still get some Emmy recognition). But i know it’ll probably never happen.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘2020 Emmys Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.