Home Forums Television Emmys 2020: Reese Witherspoon Deserves 3 Acting Nominations.

Emmys 2020: Reese Witherspoon Deserves 3 Acting Nominations.

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
forwardswill
DylanMcPhee
  • Profile picture
    DylanMcPhee
    Topics:

She has produced and starred in 3 television shows that will have all aired in under a year. For that unprecedented feat alone, she should be nominated for each performance. But she has the performance to back them all up.

Her work in BLL is just brilliant. I thought that in 2017 when the first season aired, it was strange that Kidman and Witherspoon were both being campaigned as leads. Madeline was tied into every major story arc and Reese got to double down on her comedic and dramatic abilities in all 7 episodes. Madeline (and Jane) drove the entire narrative of the show.  Nicole Kidman was fantastic and deserved all of the acclaim and awards she won. There was no way that such a well written and nuanced story of domestic abuse wasn’t going to be rewarded, but Celeste was a supporting character in the first season. Witherspoon and Woodley should have submitted as the clear leads; Kidman and Dern should have went supporting. However, for the second season, you could argue that Kidman was the sole lead of the show and that all of the other actresses could submit as supporting (which Witherspoon won’t do).

And I think it’s safe to assume she won’t campaign in supporting for The Morning Show? Another one she was brilliant in. The writing for the show was definitely Team Aniston and Bradley as a character could have easily became side lined if it weren’t for Witherspoon’s skill. In terms of screen time though, like season 2 of BLL, her character supported a more prominent lead. Submitting in supporting may make more sense for TMS, and she wouldn’t be competing with herself.

Then on the limited series side, she is leading Little Fires Everywhere. Reviews all say she’s great in it and it will be out in less than a week. It will be her most recently seen project by voters and (assuming Washington goes supporting) will be the only one of her shows where she won’t be competing against a co-star in the same category. It makes strategic sense for her to campaign for this category the most.

Regardless, it’s going to be a bloodbath in every category this year. But in a perfect world, Witherspoon would get nominated for all 3 of her shows.  I think she is seriously underappreciated on these forums!

AND SHE WILL BE COLLECTING HER 3 PRODUCING NOMINATIONS, THAT’S NOT UP FOR DISCUSSION.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

That’s like saying Greg Berlanti deserves noms just because he is producing almost 20 shows. Quality over quantity sweetie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DylanMcPhee
    Topics:

Do you mean the quality of the shows or Witherspoon’s performances? If by show, BLL and TMS are both definite contenders for Best Drama and pretty much locks for Aniston and Kidman. Both shows are very much in the running. We will just need to wait and see with Little Fires, but I expect it will be great. And if you mean the quality of Witherspoon herself…well I know you can’t have meant otherwise you and I will have a difficult time with one another.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Haven’t seen TFE obviously but she’s win worthy and my current runner-up for Lead Actress for BLL. And she was gradually great in TMS. She should win GoldDerby’s Performer of the Year undoubtedly in my mind if TFE lives up to the rest.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

She was exceptional on BLL, but cringe-worthy on TMS IMO for the most part, which isn’t her fault though. The writing for her character was just bad at times, so I blame it on that. I’m sure she’s gonna kill it on LFE – I cannot wait!

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    sofan
    Topics:

She was amazing in both BLL and TMS. She should submit as Supporting for one of them otherwise she is not getting nominated for either of them. Thankfully, there is a good chance she’ll be nominated as a producer for both.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Owl-Always-watching
    Topics:

Washington is not going to go supporting. Even if reviews say she is supporting in early reviews . She is colead specifically if they follow book plot order of events.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Carlo
    Topics:

With Reese is weird this year.

On BLL she’s fantastic. And this season she had that speech in episode 3 that is absolutly whorthy. But sadly after that the show focused mainly on Kidman and Streep and I was a bit bored by her scenes with Adam Scott. I don’t see her getting in.

On The Morning Show…sorry no. It’s true writers were most generous with Aniston, but really she failed to make Bradley likeable. I loved Reese Witherspoon in many performances but this one really is not a winner. And Jennifer being so great will hurt her even more.

Little Fires Everywhere I’m totally in to see a new Reese performance. I’m just hoping she puts the right amount of depth considering here she’s playing a classic Reese Witherspoon role. But considering the same was for BLL and she delivered I have high hopes. This might her best chance for a nomination, despite real strong competition in that category.

Anyway I hope she will attend the Emmys being nominated for and acting or a producing award …she’s really a model for women in Hollywood.

Hope she return to movies too with some great role like Election, Walk the Line and Wild were.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    PerksofBeingaGriff
    Topics:

The Morning Show performance really stunk up all her other projects for me. I hope Little Fires Everywhere blows up to make up for that, but I see some snubs in her future.

“Someone is staring at you in ‘Personal Growth’.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

With Reese is weird this year. On BLL she’s fantastic. And this season she had that speech in episode 3 that is absolutly whorthy. But sadly after that the show focused mainly on Kidman and Streep and I was a bit bored by her scenes with Adam Scott. I don’t see her getting in. On The Morning Show…sorry no. It’s true writers were most generous with Aniston, but really she failed to make Bradley likeable. I loved Reese Witherspoon in many performances but this one really is not a winner. And Jennifer being so great will hurt her even more. Little Fires Everywhere I’m totally in to see a new Reese performance. I’m just hoping she puts the right amount of depth considering here she’s playing a classic Reese Witherspoon role. But considering the same was for BLL and she delivered I have high hopes. This might her best chance for a nomination, despite real strong competition in that category. Anyway I hope she will attend the Emmys being nominated for and acting or a producing award …she’s really a model for women in Hollywood. Hope she return to movies too with some great role like Election, Walk the Line and Wild were.

I was so agreeing with you until then. I wholeheartedly disagree that it’s an actor’s job to make their characters “likable.” Their job, in my opinion, is to authentically play them. Sometimes they are consequently more relatable in our eyes, and sometimes they aren’t, but I think it’s their job to create a fully realized, three-dimensional human being. My problem with her performance was that it was glaringly inconsistent. By the end of the season, I had no idea who Bradley Jackson was. However, since I have a very vivid picture of who Madeline Mackenzie is on BLL, I attribute the flaws in Witherspoon’s performance on TMS to the writers, who haven’t clearly defined this character yet (IMO).

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

I was so agreeing with you until then. I wholeheartedly disagree that it’s an actor’s job to make their characters “likable.” Their job, in my opinion, is to authentically play them. Sometimes they are consequently more relatable in our eyes, and sometimes they aren’t, but I think it’s their job to create a fully realized, three-dimensional human being.

YES !!!

So sick of every female character having to be likeable.

I honestly think you guys are too harsh on her in TMS. It wasn’t groundbreaking stuff but she was excellent in “That Woman”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    PerksofBeingaGriff
    Topics:

I think it was mostly her first appearance that was what did her in. She was fine the rest of the season, it just was clearly not her show anymore.

“Someone is staring at you in ‘Personal Growth’.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

YES !!! So sick of every female character having to be likeable.

As am I. It’s sickening. I hate it when referred to any character, but female characters seem to be under scrutiny ten times more than male characters, which is unacceptable. We need to erase this term from the dictionary, honestly.

I honestly think you guys are too harsh on her in TMS. It wasn’t groundbreaking stuff but she was excellent in “That Woman”

She was great in that episode, which also featured her most subtle acting on the show. I think the performance pales when bearing her BLL performance in mind, which is flawless.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Carlo
    Topics:

With so many raves for Washington in LFE I wonder if it’s possible a scenario where Jennifer Aniston, Nicole Kidman and Kerry Washington are all nominated and Reese is snubbed for each of her shows.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    karls
    Topics:

I think it Will go like this for her
    The Morning Show- outstanding supp actress in tv series

Little Fires Everywhere- outstanding limitted actress

Big Little Lies- outstanding lead actress in a tv series

Hope it goes that way

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.