Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 1)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 461 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 hour ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

Updates:

– Ramy Season 3 will only start production in Spring 2021.

– Ted Lasso Season 2 will start production in January.

Source: https://www.spoilertv.com/2015/06/various-shows-production-dates.html?m=1

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lao
    Topics:

I really hope something else pops in comedy before the Emmys because SNL has not been great…or even good so far.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

If SNL takes the supporting trophies it will be a disaster, leave them to the guest categories and we will be fine.

And also, I really tried to watch PEN15, I gave it like, a thousand times to watch it, but it was so cringe to me, and i know that’s what they want but it’s not for me I guess.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

And also, I really tried to watch PEN15, I gave it like, a thousand times to watch it, but it was so cringe to me, and i know that’s what they want but it’s not for me I guess.

I feel the same way about that. Both actresses are great in it, but I don’t get the appeal at all for the show. I can’t even find anything funny because I just feel embarassed the entire time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I feel the same way about that. Both actresses are great in it, but I don’t get the appeal at all for the show. I can’t even find anything funny because I just feel embarassed the entire time.

I like the premise, but it’s sooooo cringey they passing as middle school students, I just couldn’t

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I really hope something else pops in comedy before the Emmys

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lao
    Topics:

I’ve also struggled with PEN15. I only made it two episodes into the first season. My issues stem from the fact that I was in seventh-eighth grade (like the main characters) during the same time period — the early 2000s. And my best friend and I were basically “attached at the hip,” too. So, the show is like low-key reliving junior high, and I…really don’t feel like doing that, lol.

I tried to give it another go recently, and only made it five minutes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

Truth Seekers starts off at 58 on Metacritic. 

And 71% on Rotten Tomatoes. 12 positive reviews and 5 negative reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/truth_seekers_2020/s01

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Pegg and Frost can still happen (they are fairly well known enough to make it into a weak field) but I don’t see it getting into Writing or Directing or Series.

Keeping Frost in at the Globes because of the Amazon and the British bias.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Coming for that comedy actress nom that she should’ve gotten for Secret Diary.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I will start watching Ted Lasso soon but I don’t get the confidence in the predictions for it to sweep the Globes. Its reviews are ok and it screams more of an individual Sudeikis nomination to me there and an acting favourite at the Emmys rather than a big Emmy juggernaut.

Comedy Metacritic score (the reviews for Truth Seekers are still coming out so even though it seems to be weaker than I thought it might have been it might have a higher MC score still)

1. Pen15, season 2 – 93
    2. The Baby Sitters Club, season 1 – 87
    3. Search Party, season 3 – 78 (we might be underestimating this one a lot)
    3. In My Skin, season 1 – 78
    5. Frayed, season 1 – 75
    6. Maxxx, season 1 – 74
    7. Teenage Bounty Hunters, season 1 – 72
    8. Ted Lasso, season 1 – 71
    9. Love, Victor, season 1 – 69
    10. Connecting, season 1 – 65

11. Hitmen, season 1 – 63
    12. Woke, season 1 – 61
    13. Emily in Paris, season 1 – 60
    13. Staged, season 1 – 60
    15. Truth Seekers, season 1 – 58
    16. Intelligence, season 1 – 54
    17. The Duchess, season 1 – 35

Will be interesting to see how American critics respond to both I Hate Suzie and Two Weeks to Live. The former is being premiered at Vulture festival by HBOMax so they do seem to be campaigning for it so I assume with it being produced by NBCUniversal it is eligible.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Ted Lasso has best comedy series written all over it, feel good light hearted comedy that voters may eat it up</p>
    And it has the fact that it’s a big hit on apple and PEN15 is as unknown as they get

If none of the shows we know ends it up coming back, I would for sure bet on them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It honestly won’t surprise me if HBO category I May Destroy You here post the winter awards simply because unlike their sister HBO Max they don’t have any Comedy contenders here and because they might have two other high profile Limited Series in contention (The Undoing and one of Mare of Easttown or Scenes From a Marriage)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t know whether this means productions will shutdown (for example there is a national lockdown in Wales and Sex Education is still shooting) but this doesn’t look very good for The Great getting back in…

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1322294630906503171

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

God this season will be so empty, I already see the U.S. on another lockdown as well, because cases are breaking records every single day.

Of course, safety first always, but I will miss seeing new faces and the returning shows.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 461 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.