Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 1)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 472 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    Lao
    Topics:

Kevin Can F*ck Himself starring Annie Murphy is currently filming for AMC. I’m assuming that it will premiere this Emmy cycle unless there is another major shutdown on the East Coast (where they’re filming).

Obviously I have no idea if it’ll be awards-worthy, but with a newly-minted Emmy winner as the lead and an increasingly barren comedy field, it may be in the mix. It’s also supposed to be a “mixed” format with both single and multi-cam elements, which could set it apart a little.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Weak field? What weak field? Ted Lasso isn’t weak!

Honestly a lineup of Tracee Ellis Ross, Elle Fanning, Emma Mackey, Billie Piper, Issa Rae and Hannah Waddingham would be one of the best ever in the Lead Actress category. Make it happen TV Academy!

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Waddingham isn’t lead.

She might go Lead. She’s borderline imo.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

She is definitely a supporting player, but so was jeremy irons, Steve Carell and so many others, it’s just where they are putting her.

And i can see she in the lead categories and Temple (another scene stealer) in the supporting so they both have a shot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

She is definitely a supporting player, but so was jeremy irons, Steve Carell and so many others, it’s just where they are putting her. And i can see she in the lead categories and Temple (another scene stealer) in the supporting so they both have a shot.

Yes but Wadingham could easily win supporting, while I think she’d have trouble doing so in lead. And if she went supporting, Temple could easily make the lineup as well.

Also, while The Morning Show had other contenders who could and did win in supporting when they pushed Carell and Irons up to lead, I don’t think Temple could wind up winning this category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lao
    Topics:

Has anyone seen/heard anything else about Insecure’s production schedule? Issa Rae posted about a virtual table read on September 15th, and that’s the last I’ve heard. Per Instagram, they were already filming season 4 at the beginning of September last year. I don’t know how long their production schedule typically is, but based on last year’s timetable, if they don’t starting filming soon, I question whether season 5 will be released in time for this Emmy cycle.

I recognize the HBO probably has a lot of incentive to get it ready in time given how bare the rest of their comedy slate is looking. But with COVID cases rising in L.A. and all the uncertainty that comes with it…seems like Insecure returning is not a guarantee.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yes but Wadingham could easily win supporting, while I think she’d have trouble doing so in lead. And if she went supporting, Temple could easily make the lineup as well.

Also, while The Morning Show had other contenders who could and did win in supporting when they pushed Carell and Irons up to lead, I don’t think Temple could wind up winning this category.

I actually think Waddingham is giving Rudolph a run for her money when it comes to the win in that category.

I also do think though that Temple can win if Waddingham goes lead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

I actually think Waddingham is giving Rudolph a run for her money when it comes to the win in that category.

Well that’s exceedingly easy to do cause Rudolph’s material is absolute shit this year. She and Carrey will get nods regardless of where they’re placed, but even in a weak year I can’t see them winning supporting when they just don’t have the performances. It’s not like a few years ago, as the hype for McKinnon and Baldwin was through the roof, not to mention those wins were very clearly political statements against Trump and his administration. Wins for Carrey and Rudolph wouldn’t amount to any statement other than “they’re playing Biden and Harris”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Well that’s exceedingly easy to do cause Rudolph’s material is absolute shit this year. She and Carrey will get nods regardless of where they’re placed, but even in a weak year I can’t see them winning supporting when they just don’t have the performances. It’s not like a few years ago, as the hype for McKinnon and Baldwin was through the roof, not to mention those wins were very clearly political statements against Trump and his administration. Wins for Carrey and Rudolph wouldn’t amount to any statement other than “they’re playing Biden and Harris”.

Yes I agree with you but it’s interesting how it looked like even though she didn’t have the material that she’d win simply because there was hardly anyone else up against her (the Maisel ladies disappearing, the possibility of no Yvonne Orji, no Sarah Goldberg) but now she has clear competition (and rightly so because it would be ridiculous if she won supporting over one of Juno Temple or Hannah Waddingham).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

About the second national lockdown in England: “Film and TV production, however, will be able to continue under strict COVID-safe guidelines, Variety understands.”

Source: https://variety.com/2020/film/global/uk-second-lockdown-boris-johnson-1234818632/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

About the second national lockdown in England: “Film and TV production, however, will be able to continue under strict COVID-safe guidelines, Variety understands.” Source: https://variety.com/2020/film/global/uk-second-lockdown-boris-johnson-1234818632/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

That’s good then, I think production of film and tv could continue in the US as well, since they are taking really serious the testing and the quarantine if someone got the diagnosis.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Also, about the SNL debate, for me they should reward even the CBS comedies players instead of SNL.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Interestingly enough there is a show that kind of continues the trend of final(ish) seasons of internationally focused/co-production shows winning Comedy Series…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Interestingly enough there is a show that kind of continues the trend of final(ish) seasons of internationally focused/co-production shows winning Comedy Series…

The Great will only have two seasons? Noooooo

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Also, about the SNL debate, for me they should reward even the CBS comedies players instead of SNL.

Mom and Young Sheldon are still good, heard nothing but praise for Walter Goggins in The Unicorn and isn’t One Day at a Time moving to CBS for their 5th season?

CBS have more good sitcoms on air right now than meh-to-bad ones.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 472 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.