November 30, 2020 at 3:50 pm #1203885588
If it will win I don’t know, but if it goes comedy I think she’s a lock for a nom.
The show doesn’t move mountains in terms of narrative, but sometimes the good stuff can come from a basic murder story.November 30, 2020 at 4:02 pm #1203885608
I mean I’m a fan of the show but it’s not like Ted Lasso moves mountains with its narrative either (although I liked how they didn’t adhere to the stereotypical shouty “I hate you” portrayal of divorce that programmes often do).
If we’re talking about a show that moves mountains then it’s <i>I Hate Suzie </i>except I don’t know if the Academy is cool enough to give Piper and Prebble the sweep they deserve (nominations maybe but I don’t know about wins).
FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"November 30, 2020 at 4:30 pm #1203885678
I forgot about Pen15!
The thing is I think the show that wins Comedy Series is one that’s going to win both writing and directing (see Maisel, Fleabag, Schitt’s) and even though I think Pen15 will do well in nominations I don’t see it winning Series. Therefore I don’t see it winning writing especially with three writing submissions.
FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"November 30, 2020 at 5:45 pm #1203885913
mean I’m a fan of the show but it’s not like Ted Lasso moves mountains with its narrative either
right of course- neither did Schitts Creek, I think the passion/acclaim for those shows largely comes from how damn funny they are though, which I don’t see the Flight Attendant managing (which isn’t a bad thing at all) considering it’s not a straight up comedy.December 1, 2020 at 8:31 am #1203886905
Per Amanda Seales’ IG, season 4 started filming in early September and ended on December 13th.
So, four months for 10 episodes. Season 5 only needs to premiere on May 2 to be elegible.
I’m probably wrong, but I don’t see I Hate Suzie as a contender. And The Flight Attendand is a Miniseries or at least it will go for drama. They should try with Search Party, season 3 was beyond perfect, and they will have season 4 too.December 1, 2020 at 11:21 am #1203887462
From Zoey’s creator, low-key wishing it will do goodDecember 1, 2020 at 12:00 pm #1203887553
And The Flight Attendand is a Miniseries or at least it will go for drama.
It’s been described as a “darkly comedic thriller” and is tonally similar to Dead to Me. With regards to it being in a miniseries we’ll know soon because Cuoco has said she might be back filming a second season as early as January.
I’m probably wrong, but I don’t see I Hate Suzie as a contender.
You are wrong 😉
FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"December 1, 2020 at 7:28 pm #1203888591
Bringing this up because it’s eerily similar to the incumbent series winner but does anyone know who is the US distributor for Kim’s Convenience??
I’ve noticed it reviewed by more US major publishers for its past 4th and was recently this week after one of the star’s (Paul Sun-Hyung Lee) appeared on newest Mandalorian episode.
Like Schitt’s Creek it’s a CBC original that’s become popular through Netflix and has two more seasons left to air before finishing.
It just recently wrapped filming S5 – for a regular winter CBC premiere in 2021.
Note sure if it’s even eligible for anything but something to consider especially if Comedy 2021 just ends up being Ted Lasso vs Zoey’s Playlist vs SNL.December 1, 2020 at 8:48 pm #1203888727
Did a little searching, and I don’t believe Kim’s Convenience would be eligible at the Primetime Emmys. It’s hosted by Netflix in the US, but Netflix does not appear to be involved in the production of the show. The only production company/distributor I can find for Kim’s Convenience is Thunderbird Entertainment, which is Canadian.
The reason Schitt’s Creek was eligible at the Emmys is because, along with the CBC, it was co-produced by an American cable channel. [Season 1 of SC was not eligible at the Emmys because it was solely produced by the CBC.]
Would Kim’s be eligible at the international Emmys? Workin’ Moms, a “Netflix original” comedy also imported from the CBC, was nominated at the international Emmys a few times.December 2, 2020 at 5:27 am #1203889042
I’ll try to find the official answer, but I don’t belive you need to be an American production to compete at the Emmys. This year we had the documentary “The Cave” winning an award.
It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!December 2, 2020 at 6:49 am #1203889183
I believe you need an US distributor, which The Cave had.December 2, 2020 at 11:43 am #1203890010
Bye bye I Hate Suzie‘s Comedy award chances…
1. The Great (Hulu)
2. Ted Lasso (AppleTV+)
3. Pen15 (Hulu)
4. The Flight Attendant (HBO Max)
5. On the Verge (Netflix)
6. Made for Love (HBO Max)
7. The Kominsky Method (Netflix)
8. Cobra Kai (Netflix)
9. Search Party (HBO Max)
10. Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist (NBC)
1. Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso
2. Michael Douglas, The Kominsky Method
3. Anthony Anderson, Black-ish
4. William Zabka, Cobra Kai
5. Ralph Macchio, Cobra Kai
6. Dave Burd, Dave
7. Ray Romano, Made for Love
8. Ted Danson, The Mayor
9. Asa Butterfield, Sex Education
10. Ben Platt, The Politician
1. Elle Fanning, The Great
2. Kaley Cuoco, The Flight Attendant
3. Julie Delphy, On the Verge
4. Cristin Miloti, Made for Love
5. Maya Erskine, Pen15
6. Anna Konkle, Pen15
7. Tracee Ellis Ross, Black-ish
8. Elizabeth Shue, On the Verge
9. Alia Shawkat, Search Party
10. Jane Levy, Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist
Comedy S. Actor
1. Jim Carrey, Saturday Night Live
2. Nicholas Hoult, The Great
3. Andre Braugher, Brooklyn Nine-Nine
4. Kenan Thompson, Saturday Night Live
5. Michael Huisman, The Flight Attendant
6. Colin Jost, Saturday Night Live
7. Beck Bennett, Saturday Night Live
8. Alan Cumming, Pudin
9. Brett Goldstein, Ted Lasso
10. Brendan Hunt, Ted Lasso
Comedy S. Actress
1. Maya Rudolph, Saturday Night Live
2. Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live
3. Hannah Waddingham, Ted Lasso
4. Chloe Fineman, Saturday Night Live
5. Gillian Anderson, Sex Education
6. Michelle Gomez, The Flight Attendant
7. Juno Temple, Ted Lasso
8. Noma Dumezweni, Made for Love
9. Rosie Perez, The Flight Attendant
10. Lauren Graham, Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist
Comedy G. Actor
1. Dave Chapelle, Saturday Night Live
2. Jason Bateman, Saturday Night Live
3. John Mulaney, Saturday Night Live
4. Alec Baldwin, Saturday Night Live
5. Chris Rock, Saturday Night Live
6. Anthony Head, Ted Lasso
7. Griffin Dunne, Search Party
8. Harvey Guillen, Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist
9. Jason Isaacs, Sex Education
10. Samuel L. Jackson, Staged
Comedy G. Actress
1. Kristen Wiig, Saturday Night Live
2. Adele, Saturday Night Live
3. Issa Rae, Saturday Night Live
4. Wanda Sykes, Black-ish
5. Susan Sarandon, Search Party
6. Ann Dowd, Search Party
7. Robin Weigert, The Politician
8. Jane Krakowski, Puddin’
9. Judi Dench, Staged
10. Kelly MacDonald, Truth Seekers
1. Anna Konkle, Pen15 (“Vendy Wiccany”)
2. Maya Erskine, Pen15 (“Play”)
3. Sam Zvibleman, Pen15 (“Opening Night”)
4. Tony McNamara, The Great
5. Jason Sudeikis & Bill Lawrence & Brendan Hunt & Joe Kelly, Ted Lasso (“Pilot”)
6. Steve Yockey, The Flight Attendant (“In Case of Emergency”)
7. Alissa Nutting & Dean Bakopoulos and Patrick Somerville, Made for Love (“You’re User One”)
8. Julie Delphy, Made for Love (“Pilot”)
9. Brendan Hunt, Joe Kelly and Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso (“Make Rebecca Great Again”)
10. Brendan Hunt, Joe Kelly and Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso (“The Hope That Kills You”)
1. Matt Shakman, The Great
2. Fred Savage, The Conners
3. Sam Zvibleman, Pen15 (“Opening Night”)
4. S.J. Clarkson, Made for Love (“You’re User One”)
5. Tom Marshall, Ted Lasso (“Pilot”)
6. Declan Lowney, Ted Lasso (“Make Rebecca Great Again”)
7. Susanna Fogel, The Flight Attendant (“The Flight Attendant”)
8. Zach Braff, Ted Lasso (“Biscuits”)
9. MJ Delaney, Ted Lasso (“The Hope that Kills You”)
10. Puddin’December 2, 2020 at 11:52 am #1203890026This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.December 2, 2020 at 11:59 am #1203890038
Flight attendant comes from CW producers and crew teams lol. It’s not getting close to the Emmys. Plus the reception is pretty poor. Yes Cuoco is great but the show is a campy snoozefest.
I wouldn’t call a 97% Rotten Tomatoes critics score pretty poor or a 76 Metacritic score poor but sure keep posting whatever you want on here to satisfy your own self fulfilling narrative.
The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.