Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 475 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
60 mins ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
braydenfitzsi..
Victor
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Ted Lasso is the one to beat here

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I swear that Ted Lasso and The Flight Attendant are the only “comedies” that have aired or will air in this eligibility period. And I guess Mom, as Critics’ Choice likes to remind us.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I swear that Ted Lasso and The Flight Attendant are the only “comedies” that have aired or will air in this eligibility period. And I guess Mom, as Critics’ Choice likes to remind us.

– Pen15
    – Cobra Kai
    – Made for Love
    – Search Party
    – Black-ish
    – The Conners
    – Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist
    – The Kominsky Method

Probable non-factors:

– Emily in Paris
    – The Politician
    – Truth Seekers

Sex Education finished production next month, <i>Never Have I Ever </i>is currently in production for a month and The Great is in production and has not delayed its shooting schedule (which is more or less the same one it had for season 1). Dave should make eligibility too as I believe they are shooting the whole season next month.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

(which is more or less the same one it had for season 1)

The Great season 1 started shooting in November 2018 and didn’t air until May 2020, a year and a half later. If it keeps the same schedule, we won’t see it until May 2022. I’d be shocked if it airs in time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Great season 1 started shooting in November 2018 and didn’t air until May 2020, a year and a half later. If it keeps the same schedule, we won’t see it until May 2022. I’d be shocked if it airs in time.

Admittedly I thought it was November 2019 so that’s a fault on my side but it is worth baring in mind that Fanning and Hoult probably have very demanding contracts which is why it took so long (like how it took so long for The Morning Show to shoot because of Aniston, Witherspoon and Carell’s other commitments) to shoot. With them now only being able to shoot the show and nothing else because of Covid restrictions and the potential for a weekly release (the first season was dropped as a box set soon Hulu in May) I can see it make eligibility.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Trying to build predictions but haven’t seen Ted Lasso yet, what do the supporting actor contenders look like?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

There is no consensus about who is the best of the bunch and few would cite any of them as the standout. Nick Mohammed is the most sympathetic. Jeremy Swift is the closest to Tony Hale on Veep. Brett Goldstein is the most dramatic. Probably not going to be Phil Dunster. Brendan Hunt is a co-creator/producer/writer and past Emmy nominee for writing Key & Peele. I am just going to predict the lead actor and the two supporting actresses.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Trying to build predictions but haven’t seen Ted Lasso yet, what do the supporting actor contenders look like?

Supporting Actor is more interesting as the show has no male supporting standout. I’d argue Brett Goldstein is probably the likeliest of the supporting men. He’s the most prominent of them and seems to be getting the most push from them on Apple’s FYC ads. Brendan Hunt and Jeremy Swift are Sudeikis’ and Waddingham’s comedic side kicks so I’d say they’re next in line. Mohammed’s character goes through a lot of development across the show but I honestly can’t see him get nominated but who knows.

Dunster is the Michael Zeagan/Matt Czuchry of the show in the sense that he plays the unlikable good looking white guy who gradually goes on some sort of character development. He’s the only one I feel confident ruling out.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Nick Mohammed’s performance is probably the funniest on television this year for me. The role’s not a stretch by any means but if we can praise dramatic turns for their subtlety, why can’t we laud comic ones for their simplicity?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

I mean, even if Ted Lasso does good, it doesn’t mean it will get a supporting actor in. Remember how people thought Schitt’s Creek would get double supporting nominees? I see a best case scenario with (only) Sudeikis, Waddingham and Temple.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Ted Lasso is a good show that was brought down by boring characters except for the main 3. I wouldn’t nominate any supporting actors.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I wouldn’t nominate anyone besides Waddinghan, Sudeikis and Temple, but this is so empty that some of the men may actually sneak in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

With the exception of the penultimate episode, I have to admit I don’t really get the Waddingham hype

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

New Demi Lovato Comedy

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Flight Attendant being in comedy is probably one of the biggest category frauds I have ever seen at the Emmys (and I say this as a fan of the show and someone rooting for Cuoco to win). Sure it has some small comedic moments but I mean arguably even It’s a Sin are I May Destroy <i>You </i>have more comedic beats than it does and one is a show whose characters deal with the AIDS epidemic and the other is a show that deals with the traumatic psychological effects dealt with after one is raped.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 475 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.