Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 514 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
braydenfitzsi..
Victor
  • Profile picture
    zkrons
    Topics:

What nominations are possible for Cobra Kai?

Profile picture
    TVLUVAH
    Topics:

Network Comedy might have a good shot at returning. Here are some possibilities…

Series:
    blackish
    Mom
    Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist
    ~
    maybe: finally a nom for The Goldbergs or Superstore or The Conners?

Actor:
    Anthony Anderson, blackish
    Ted Danson, Mr Mayor
    John Goodman, The Conners

Actress:
    Tracee Ellis Ross, blackish
    Allison Janney, Mom
    Wendi McLendon-Covey, The Goldbergs
    Jane Levy, Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist

Supporting Actor:
    SNL Players
    Alex Newell, Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist
    Skylar Astin, Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist
    William Fichtner, Mom

Supporting Actress:
    SNL Players
    Jennifer Lewis, blackish
    Jamie Pressley, Mom
    Kristen Johnston, Mom
    Lecy Gorannson, The Conners
    Laurie Metcalfe, The Conners

* Plus 3 new comedies premiere soon: Kenan (NBC), Young Rock (NBC) and Home Economics (CBS)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What nominations are possible for Cobra Kai?

I am thinking:

Series
    Actor
    Actor
    Guest Actress

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Network Comedy might have a good shot at returning. Here are some possibilities…

Shameless also has aired a new season within eligibility. There is also Lamorne Morris in Woke who whilst his show kind of flopped in buzz I guess could theoretically gain buzz if Hulu campaigns for it.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I think blackish is basically a lock after that surprise nomination for Ross. It’s a show that’s still in voters’ radar. It’s an easy name check in a weak year like this.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I really don’t think this year is so weak. We have Ted Lasso and The Flight Attendant which are essentially locked in Series. Same with Pen15. Then we have Cobra Kai which is a show that was being tweeted about by people in Hollywood when it went on Netflix in the Summer and is based on a popular and well beloved 80s franchise (like The Mandalorian). Netflix also seem to be pushing it as their main campaign priority. Search Party got dropped on HBO Max and immediately people in Hollywood started raving about it and cameoing in it. Betty topped a lot of critics lists and is returning as HBO’s sole comedy this season. Made for Love is coming and that could benefit from the added buzz for Cristin Milioti for Palm Springs (I think she could challenge Cuoco) and increased visibility of Noma Dumezweni for The Undoing. <i>Zoey’s Extraordinary </i><i>Playlist </i>has added buzz and could be helped if it gets in at the Globes. Black-ishThe Great could return and very well be the runner up to Ted Lasso in Series. Sex Education could benefit from Gillian Anderson’s buzz for The CrownNever Have I Ever is currently filming and is now being pushed by Netflix. Peabody winner Dickinson has returned and The Kominsky Method has wrapped filming and is probably returning.

Sure it sucks that MaiselBarry and Atlanta aren’t returning on time but there are still a lot of shows airing. It’s essentially the same level of competition as the drama field in 2019 when everything apart from GoTKilling EveThis is Us and Better Call Saul took the year off.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

I really don’t think this year is so weak. We have Ted Lasso and The Flight Attendant which are essentially locked in Series. Then we have Cobra Kai which is a show that was being tweeted about by people in Hollywood when it went on Netflix in the Summer and is based on a popular and well beloved 80s franchise (like The Mandalorian). Netflix also seem to be pushing it as their main campaign priority. Search Party got dropped on HBO Max and immediately people in Hollywood started raving about it and cameoing in it. Betty topped a lot of critics lists and is returning as HBO’s sole comedy this season. Made for Love is coming and that could benefit from the added buzz for Cristin Milioti for Palm Springs (I think she could challenge Cuoco) and increased visibility of Noma Dumezweni for The Undoing. <i>Zoey’s Extraordinary </i><i>Playlist </i>has added buzz and could be helped if it gets in at the Globes. Black-ish. The Great could return and very well be the runner up to Ted Lasso in Series. Sex Education could benefit from Gillian Anderson’s buzz for The Crown. Never Have I Ever is currently filming and is now being pushed by Netflix. Peabody winner Dickinson has returned and The Kominsky Method has wrapped filming and is probably returning. Sure it sucks that Maisel, Barry and Atlanta aren’t returning on time but there are still a lot of shows airing. It’s essentially the same level of competition as the drama field in 2019 when everything apart from GoT, Killing Eve, This is Us and Better Call Saul took the year off.

You’re always ignoring Pen15. After Ted Lasso, it’s the most likeliest one to be nominated.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

You’re always ignoring Pen15. After Ted Lasso, it’s the most likeliest one to be nominated.

I actually mentioned Pen15 on my previous post on the previous page but I admittedly did forget to include it in my last post haha.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I know comedy categories are super weak this year but people are still overestimating PEN15. It’s not as locked for an Emmy overperformance as it’s predicted to have. The double lead nominations particularly feel something that won’t materialize in the end.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Maybe but it certainly is getting all three of its writing submissions in and into Series à la Shadows at the very least.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

The double lead nominations particularly feel something that won’t materialize in the end.

If they are not getting in then who? Kaley Cuoco and Tracee Ellis Ross only take space of two, there are still four spots left.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

If they are not getting in then who? Kaley Cuoco and Tracee Ellis Ross only take space of two, there are still four spots left.

Are Black Monday’s back four episodes from July eligible? Regina Hall has been nothing but outstanding both seasons and should be in if weak enough

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Are Black Monday’s back four episodes from July eligible? Regina Hall has been nothing but outstanding both seasons and should be in if weak enough

Comedy and drama shows need at least six episodes to compete.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Alison Janney
    Jane Levy
    Cristin Milioti
    Hailee Steinfeld

Maybe:

Elle Fanning
    Maitreyei Ramakrishnan
    Cecily Strong

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

With the exception of the penultimate episode, I have to admit I don’t really get the Waddingham hype

I think this site has overhyped her, as it often does towards buzzy contenders, but I still believe she was excellent and will make a great winner.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.