Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 475 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 hour ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
braydenfitzsi..
Victor
  • Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I haven’t been seeing a lot of reactions to Dickinson season two, but the ones I have been seeing have been overwhelmingly positive. Could Steinfeld break through this year?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    marcus_emn
    Topics:

I haven’t been seeing a lot of reactions to Dickinson season two, but the ones I have been seeing have been overwhelmingly positive. Could Steinfeld break through this year?

This season is better than the already great first season and Steinfeld, Krakowski and Baryshnikov (MVP imo) are at the top of their games. But unfortunately, I don’t see the Academy noticing the show considering Apple is probably going full Ted Lasso in Comedy. I hope I’m wrong

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I made a mistake by over-predicting Sex Education last year, but I’ve already decided I’m going to go down the same path this year again, reason be damned.

With a late spring premiere likely in the works, it’s probably primed to be Netflix’s main Comedy push. Everyone said last year that it could be nominated if it was given the right campaign, and I think that campaign will be given to it this year because there’s really not much else Netflix could put attention towards. I expect Cobra Kai will also be a priority for them, but without the half-dozen other contenders they normally have, they’ll likely go HARD for those two shows. I expect there’ll also be a focus on getting Gillian Anderson double nods. Sex Ed is reportedly a huge show for Netflix, one of their most popular, and it’ll be very fresh in the minds of everyone, the public and critics and voters. And while Cobra Kai has decent reviews, Sex Ed definitely has the critical/prestige upper hand. (I’m not even considering Emily in Paris as a serious contender.)

Probably going to have the same outcome as last year, but while then it was more wishful thinking, this year I’m seeing a lot more lining up in significant ways for it to find some success.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I’m predicting like a 6-8 spot for it
    It’s actually quite acclaimed and it has the young public who pushed Euphoria

So maybe?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Everyone said last year that it could be nominated if it was given the right campaign

I’ve said this a thousand times and pretty much a broken record now, but it’s exactly what happened with Black Panther at the Oscars.

Black Panther ended up being a cultural phenomenon (incl $700m domestic box office, it out grossed Infinity War), was one of Marvel’s highest rated films critically. And Disney wasted no time hiring Cynthia Swartz, legendary award season publicity dating back to Miramax and what happened, SAG ensemble win, Best Picture nomination and three Oscar wins.

Sex Education was in a similarly situation (neither it or BP were convinced as “prestige-y” projects), a huge commercial hit (top five in Netflix’s year end for both seasons — 44m avg viewers) and critically hit (84 on MetaCritic). Like Black Panther, it’s the type of thing that awards voters need to now it’s “okay” for them to vote for. For SE had that, it probably would’ve gotten multiple nominations last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Sex Education is in a very good position. Not only does it have a potentially awards friendly release date but it’s cast have risen in stature and buzz. Ncuti Gatwa will be in a film on Netflix with Shailene Woodley this Spring. Gillian Anderson is getting buzz for The Crown. Emma Mackie is in Kenneth Branagh’s Death on the Nile.

I think it really depends on the reception in the Spring but I can see it doing very very well if season 2 performs very well with BAFTA this Spring (it performed fairly well for season 1). It’s not as if Netflix aren’t prone to promoting their teen shows because they upgraded Never Have I Ever for the winter awards!

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

I’ve said this a thousand times and pretty much a broken record now, but it’s exactly what happened with Black Panther at the Oscars.

I understand this sentiment but I think there’s a flaw. It makes sense that Disney needed that campaign for Black Panther because voters need reassurance that it was okay to vote for a superhero movie at that type of thing. This genre bias is not necessarily comparable to comedy categories at the Emmys, I’d argue the only bias that remains there is against network sitcoms. Sure there is the teen aspect, but still there’s a hole in that in Zendaya getting into an incredibly crowded drama field and Sex Education missing all over a pretty open comedy one. Not to drag the show, I know it’s deserving, I’m just saying I don’t see it becomes a big player overnight because last season there really wasn’t too many obstacles in its way.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

In all fairness last year’s competition in comedy (which was quite weak) feels like a bloodbath in comparison to this year’s comedy wasteland.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    NAKSS
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: center;”>When does Ramy S3 start shooting?</p>

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I have no idea if it will be a contender but here is the trailer for the new Netflix dramedy Ginny and Georgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsacpJwXCO8

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Yves Wearn
    Topics:

I believe Martin Kove could easily get a nomination for Cobra Kai

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jajajajjaja
    Topics:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKlyIVNF7_q/?igshid=104s2k6y5ahzn

Maybe a sign that The Great S2 will arrived in time??

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So I had a look at Warner’s Sundance media lounge and they have the following which may indicate what their HBO Max campaign priorities are:

– The first three episodes of The Flight Attendant available for free plus a message from Kaley Cuoco.

– A first look of the new show Genera+ion.

– The first two episodes of Search Party and a Q&A with the cast.

– A Q&A with the creator of It’s a Sin and three cast members (Olly Alexander, Neil Patrick Harris and Lydia West) and the first two episodes of the show for free.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

– A first look of the new show Genera+ion.

A Lena Dunham EP’d, sexuality based dramedy with Martha Plimpton, Justice Smith and Nathan Stewart-Jarrett.

How am I only discovering this now and where do I sign up to watch

Money

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

A Lena Dunham EP’d, sexuality based dramedy with Martha Plimpton, Justice Smith and Nathan Stewart-Jarrett.

Yeah I just had a look at the first look clip.

It looks like it’s making eligibility (the sneak peek ended with a card saying “coming this Spring”). According to the Warner Centre it’s a half hour show so I assume it will go comedy. It also says that Dunham is a part of the writing team and one of the shows directors is Gotham nominee Channing Godfrey Peoples (Miss Juneteenth).

Between The Flight AttendantIt’s a Sin, Search Party and now this it looks like HBO Max might be in a very good position at the Emmys this year.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 475 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.