Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 453 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
9 hours ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Just watched the first 3 episodes of The Flight Attendant back to back, and I’m absolutely loving it. Kaley is fantastic. I hope she and OHara split the winter awards (maybe Kaley GG, and then OHara Sag and CC), and then Kaley the emmy

FYC OSCARS

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN in all categories (inc. CAREY MULLIGAN & Emerald Fennell in Screenplay)

THE FATHER in all categories (inc. Best Picture, ANTHONY HOPKINS, Olivia Colman & Adapted Screenplay)

Lo Si (Diane Warren) for Original Song

Chloe Zhao for Director

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

SNL is #1 broadcast comedy for the first time in history

https://deadline.com/2021/01/saturday-night-live-nbc-snl-tv-ratings-1234682808/

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

According to Indiewire these multi cam Netflix shows have all finished production. I wonder if they will come this season.

Genre: Comedy Series:
    Release Date: Production completed. Confirmed for 2021
    Cast: Kevin James, Freddie Stroma, Paris Berelc, Sarah Stiles, Jillian Mueller
    Showrunner: Jeff Lowell

Following in the footsteps of fellow late ’90s sitcom stars like Ashton Kutcher as well as his good buddy Adam Sandler, Kevin James is making the move to Netflix — and he’s taking the multi-cam format with him! “The Crew” sees James playing Bobby Spencer, a NASCAR crew chief who’s rankled when his boss steps down and puts his daughter, Catherine (Jillian Mueller) in charge of the titular group. The two butt heads over how best to build a winning car, as Bobby’s old school approach clashes with the “tech reliant millennial’s” style. Tune in to watch Gen X and pre-Gen Z clash, compromise, and, of course, come together for the betterment of the team.

Genre: Comedy Series
    Release Date: Production complete. Confirmed for 2021
    Cast: Jamie Foxx, David Alan Grier, Kyla-Drew
    Director: Ken Whittingham (pilot)
    Showrunner: Bentley Kyle Evans

Inspired by Jamie Foxx’s relationship with his daughter, we can’t say for sure if “Dad, Stop Embarrassing Me” was born from the one-time Oscar winner’s turn in “Project Power,” or hosting the game show “Beat Shazam,” but certainly one of those projects evoked enough teenage mortification to provide the title. Continuing the Foxx connections, his closest collaborators on the new Netflix multi-cam comedy share a professional history with the star. On camera, Foxx will be joined by his former “In Living Color” co-star David Alan Grier, while the series’ showrunner, Bentley Kyle Evans, served as an executive producer on “The Jamie Foxx Show.” In case that’s not enough Foxx ties, the lead will play multiple roles, so get ready for all the Foxx you can handle from this one.

Another multi-camera comedy from Netflix, “The Upshaws” bills itself as a return to the “funny and complicated” Black family sitcoms of the past, where everyone watching can laugh along with the live audience while learning a few things at the same time. Mike Epps, Kim Fields, and Wanda Sykes star as a working-class family in Indiana, who may not always get along — or get it right — but they’re trying their best. Epps’ Bennie Upshaw owns a garage; Fields plays Regina, his wife, who works at a local hospital, and Sykes is her sister, Lucretia, who lives off disability benefits but constantly berates Bennie for not doing better by his wife and kids. Together, they’ll tackle raising the children in 2021 America, finding laughs wherever they can. Here’s hoping “The Upshaws” fills the TV gap left by NBC’s “The Carmichael Show.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/01/netflix-series-2021-new-shows-preview-cowboy-bebop-halston-1234607504/

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

– Frasier will return. Production starts in the summer.

– Nana Mensah, Bob Balaban, David Morse and Everly Carganilla are set as series regulars in The Chair.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

The Chair has started production and it will conclude in April.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

The Chair has started production and it will conclude in April.

Netflix shows are usually released a year after production is completed. This will probably compete next year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

I just watched the first episode of Call Me Kat. I love Mayim Bialik but God this was awful. An abomination to the original and to Miranda Hart. They literally copied jokes word for word and made them not funny.

FYC OSCARS

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN in all categories (inc. CAREY MULLIGAN & Emerald Fennell in Screenplay)

THE FATHER in all categories (inc. Best Picture, ANTHONY HOPKINS, Olivia Colman & Adapted Screenplay)

Chloe Zhao for Director

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kaye
    Topics:

Totally disagree with you about Call Me Kat.  I loved it!  Mayim Bialik is a one woman show. She does it all!  Physical comedy, great timing.  Got some bad reviews and everyone piled on.

What I DON’T get at all is The Flight Attendant. It was awful!  To all those fawning over Kaley Kuoco’s performance you need glasses.  I couldn’t watch it after two episodes. Kaley Cuoco can’t act.  She couldn’t act on The Big Bang Theory and she couldn’t act here. She has a great PR team. She’s glossy but nothing underneath. Sorry if this review stings but I asked my friends and they agreed. This is why NOBODY watches award shows anymore.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Totally disagree with you about Call Me Kat. I loved it! Mayim Bialik is a one woman show. She does it all! Physical comedy, great timing. Got some bad reviews and everyone piled on.

What I DON’T get at all is The Flight Attendant. It was awful! To all those fawning over Kaley Kuoco’s performance you need glasses. I couldn’t watch it after two episodes. Kaley Cuoco can’t act. She couldn’t act on The Big Bang Theory and she couldn’t act here. She has a great PR team. She’s glossy but nothing underneath. Sorry if this review stings but I asked my friends and they agreed. This is why NOBODY watches award shows anymore.

Have you seen the original Miranda out of interest

FYC OSCARS

Chloe Zhao for Director

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kaye
    Topics:

Yes, I have seen Miranda and I loved it as well.  I think peoples preconceptions regarding Miranda have colored their perceptions of Call Me Kat.  If you believe Miranda was so good no one can compare than I would understand your logic.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Dare I say that we could have a two horse race between The Great and <i>Ted Lasso </i>and Lasso isn’t locked for the Series win.

The Great has done very well today, got three nominations at the Globes and got the same nominations as Ted Lasso (3) at WGA.

I wonder if it’s plausible that Fanning and Sudeikis both win Globes but then Schitt’s Creek takes the Series Globe and both The Great s2 and <i>Ted Lasso </i>s1 fight it out at the Emmys? With both having added momentum from their sophomore seasons airing near voting?

I am not predicting this to happen but it’s a thought that came to my mind.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

I think the Great would really have to catch fire next season to pose a threat. It’s episodes are an hour long and the majority of voters would need to catch up on two seasons as opposed to one. It also has the less accessible Tony McNamara style of humor behind it, which is obviously fantastic but not as audience friendly as the Ted Lasso jokes which feel pretty similar to Schitt’s Creek. But past that, also similar to Schitts, Ted Lasso isn’t just the simpler and crowd-pleasing option, it also has a ton of critical support.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

Black Monday Season 3 will start production in March: https://www.spoilertv.com/2015/06/various-shows-production-dates.html

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

Ted Lasso seems like the early frontrunner to me. It has it everything so far, including the title of top comedy of the year in critics’ year end lists.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Locks: Ted Lasso and The Flight Attendant

Will probably get in: PEN15 (the second part of S2 will air this spring)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 453 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.