Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 514 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
braydenfitzsi..
Victor
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I still don’t see why Ted Lasso would lose Writing and Directing if it submits only one episode and still somehow win Series. I think if it wins Series it wins both Writing and Directing. It feels like a Succession/Schitt’s Creek/Maisel/Fleabag type situation. Considering how it out-performed Pen15 at WGA I don’t see how it isn’t the Writing frontrunner and as with the four examples I’ve mentioned, we’ve seen a curious and interesting trend that suggests that Directing can be an easy coattail for Series front-runners in Drama and Comedy. The Great is definitely more deserving (by far) of a Directing win than Ted Lasso but I don’t see how it achieves one unless the race is really close (like Govs The Crown season 2) or Lasso under-performs at DGA next week.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Made for love trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNrMMLOTdso

Coming in April, will be elegible

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I wonder if Ted Lasso is going to be eligible at BAFTA like Killing Eve was. It’s been snubbed at some guild awards like casting in the American guilds but made it in at the equivalent British guilds.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

It’s been snubbed at some guild awards like casting in the American guilds but made it in at the equivalent British guilds.

It’s not elegible for this year’s Casting Society of America Awards.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Not this season but Party Down is being revived at Starz

https://tvline.com/2021/03/04/party-down-revival-starz-limited-series-cast/

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Recently finished Dickinson season two and thought it was WONDERFUL. It’s a little messy sometimes and a tad over-eager, but I thought that it actually really improved on the first season. It’s found a very strong place in its character work, and while it may not be doing anything super complex or mind-blowing, it’s found a lot of beauty in its simplicity (kind of like Dickinson’s poems). Hailee Steinfeld was just amazing. I’m hoping Apple will push her and that she can make it into Actress. Right now I think she’s hovering around seventh or eighth. Would love to see it get into Writing as well, for “Split the lark” or “I’m Nobody! Who are you?” Hell, I’m rooting hard for it in Series. A wonderful treat that really found its groove this season with emotionally-based storytelling and a willingness to take risks with fantastical and convention-breaking ideas.

It’s got an 81 on Metacritic and a 100 on Rotten Tomatoes, a vast improvement from its previous 66 and 75 (granted, there are fewer reviews but this still feels like a significant jump). Apple’s obviously got Ted Lasso, but if they make this enough of a priority, I think it’s not out of the question for writing and Steinfeld.

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

Ella Hunt as Supporting Actress would also be deserving.

Profile picture
    Villeneuve
    Topics:

I’m not that into comedies and don’t watch SNL since before the pandemic, but is Maya Rudolph as good as Mckinnon was when she won supporting? Could she win?

Profile picture
    TVLUVAH
    Topics:

I have no confidence in these predictions for “Made for Love”…
    It’s giving me total “Uploaded” vibes and that’s not a good thing…
    #skeptical

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

“Finished Ted Lasso. Such a great show. And Sudeikis can get it in those little khakis”

@mindykaling

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Been absolutely BLOWING my way through Ted Lasso these past few days and really enjoying it! With how dark and gloomy so much TV is, even in comedy, this is a great breath of fresh air. I love that this and Schitt’s Creek will probably be dominating in succession, because they’re both so warm and positive in such a lovely way.

Sudeikis, Waddingham, and Temple are definitely the highlights, and I think they’ll all surely be nominated. Temple is my personal favorite, but I’ll be thrilled to see Waddhingham win. I agree that none of the supporting actors really stand out. Even though Hunt is a creator, I don’t think he’ll make it because while he’s had some fun moments, he’s just the least memorable. If any of them are making the list, it’ll probably be Nick Mohammed, with Brett Goldstein as a second. If I had to pick, though, I’d choose Toheeb Jimoh. Even though supporting actor is fairly empty, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it miss the category entirely.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Not sure what to think of Made for Love after that trailer. Although a show starring Cristin Milioti, Ray Romano, Billy Magnussen and Noma Dumezweni in a weak year might do well due to the names involved alone.

Maybe this is one we have to wait for an audience response for to see what happens. I feel like it might be a critics push but it won’t get so much of an audience push.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Recently finished Dickinson season two and thought it was WONDERFUL. It’s a little messy sometimes and a tad over-eager, but I thought that it actually really improved on the first season. It’s found a very strong place in its character work, and while it may not be doing anything super complex or mind-blowing, it’s found a lot of beauty in its simplicity (kind of like Dickinson’s poems). Hailee Steinfeld was just amazing. I’m hoping Apple will push her and that she can make it into Actress. Right now I think she’s hovering around seventh or eighth. Would love to see it get into Writing as well, for “Split the lark” or “I’m Nobody! Who are you?” Hell, I’m rooting hard for it in Series. A wonderful treat that really found its groove this season with emotionally-based storytelling and a willingness to take risks with fantastical and convention-breaking ideas.

It’s got an 81 on Metacritic and a 100 on Rotten Tomatoes, a vast improvement from its previous 66 and 75 (granted, there are fewer reviews but this still feels like a significant jump). Apple’s obviously got Ted Lasso, but if they make this enough of a priority, I think it’s not out of the question for writing and Steinfeld.

They should go all in with the Hailee Steinfeld campaign since Ted Lasso don’t have a female lead.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

They should go all in with the Hailee Steinfeld campaign since Ted Lasso don’t have a female lead.

There’s literally no reason for them not to.

— raved and improved season
    — endless campaign supplies
    — no competition (internal)
    — limited competition (external)

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Current predix. Assuming PEN15 submit twice in writing (Konkle and Erskine’s respective episodes) and that Ted Lasso only goes one for writing and directing.

Do we know if we’ll get enough submissions to hit eight in supporting?

COMEDY SERIES:
    Cobra Kai
    The Flight Attendant
    The Great
    The Kominsky Method
    Made for Love
    PEN15
    Sex Education
    ***Ted Lasso

COMEDY ACTOR:
    Anthony Anderson in Black-ish
    Michael Douglas in The Kominsky Method
    John Goodman in The Conners
    Ralph Macchio in Cobra Kai
    ***Jason Sudeikis in Ted Lasso
    William Zabka in Cobra Kai

COMEDY ACTRESS:
    Kaley Cuoco in The Flight Attendant
    Elle Fanning in The Great
    Allison Janney in Mom
    ***Cristin Milioti in Made for Love
    Tracee Ellis Ross in Black-ish
    Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTOR:
    Ncuti Gatwa in Sex Education
    Brett Goldstein in Ted Lasso
    ***Nicholas Hoult in The Great
    Brendan Hunt in Ted Lasso
    Nick Mohammed in Ted Lasso
    Ray Romano in Made for Love
    Kenan Thompson in Saturday Night Live
    Bowen Yang in Saturday Night Live

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
    Gillian Anderson in Sex Education
    Chloe Fineman in Saturday Night Live
    Zosia Mamet in The Flight Attendant
    Kate McKinnon in Saturday Night Live
    Bette Midler in The Politician
    Cecily Strong in Saturday Night Live
    Juno Temple in Ted Lasso
    ***Hannah Waddingham in Ted Lasso

COMEDY WRITING:
    Dickinson
    ***The Great
    Made for Love
    PEN15
    PEN15
    Sex Education
    Ted Lasso

COMEDY DIRECTING:
    Cobra Kai
    The Great
    The Great
    The Kominsky Method
    Made for Love
    Made for Love
    Mom
    ***Ted Lasso

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.