Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 3)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 501 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
braydenfitzsi..
Victor
  • Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

I have both of them, mainly for the odds because I never watched this show
    Anything besides Jason Sudeikis and Michael Douglas is up in the air

I’d argue Anthony Anderson as well. Unlike Ellis-Ross (whom didn’t get in for S1 & S6), he’s never missed a nomination. He’s survived without TER before and imo, he will be like Modern Family in series, he will keep getting in until he doesn’t.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

he will keep getting in until he doesn’t.

That’s what I think might happen, I’m predicting blackish and the two leads, but i think maybe they can drop them because of fatigue? Idk, it’s a long shot and i will keep predicting them but i don’t think they missing is a crazy idea

FYC Emmys: Get MJ Rodriguez that deserved WIN! And some votes for Elizabeth Olsen, Tobias Menzies and Matthew Rhys will be highly tasteful as well

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

I’m not buying that the Emmys will go for or nominate the likes of Cobra Kai and Sex Education. They feel too niche and the later has been ignored twice before.

To be fair, the first time it was competing in Drama.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Help, I’m getting crazy that I’m thinking of predicting Michael Cimino

FYC Emmys: Get MJ Rodriguez that deserved WIN! And some votes for Elizabeth Olsen, Tobias Menzies and Matthew Rhys will be highly tasteful as well

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Sex Education‘s problem is more that Netflix doesn’t bother to campaign it rather than anything. We know some take it seriously because the British industry embraced it with open arms.

I don’t think it will return in time for the Emmys (although I said the same about The Kominsky Method and look what happened then lol) but if it does, it could benefit in this weak field not only if Netflix campaigns it but also it could coattail to Gillian Anderson’s career renaissance buzz.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Anthony Anderson isn’t going to be dropped this year. He is easily behind Sudeikis and Douglas.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I’m not really sold on Superstore. I think if it were running for one more year then we’d see it in 2022, but even with the hype build I think it might all be too little too late.

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I’m not really sold on Superstore. I think if it were running for one more year then we’d see it in 2022, but even with the hype build I think it might all be too little too late.

Yeah, i think if they’re going for NBC, they might just wanna nominate Zoey’s, which is already an Emmy winner (choreography, but still)

Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

Honestly, I’m predicting NBC will be shut out of Comedy Series this year. None of their shows have the buzz or the acclaim for a series nom imo.

FYC Emmys: Give Inside Everything!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I honestly do not understand the confidence in Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist. I guess if the field thins out and things flop then it stands a chance but the only place I hear about this show is on this site.

I guess Jane Levy can happen if the category thins out because her star is rising but the series and supporting actor predictions (or at least them being so high) are perplexing to me.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Perplexing? Why?

Do you realize that we are 2 months away from the end of the elegibility period and there’s only 3-4 shows safe for a Comedy Series nomination? There are *FOUR* spots up for grabs and Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist is already an Emmy winning show, GG, CC and TCA nominee. Why is perplexing to think it’s gonna get nominated?

The show is acclaimed enough and also you say predict Jane Levy is alright, so you do agree that voters are watching the show, so why exactly aren’t these voters gonna put the show on their Series ballot as well?

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Help, I’m getting crazy that I’m thinking of predicting Michael Cimino

Absolutely crazy.

But I’m kinda feeling it.

(With only 10% of that feeling is wishdicting. And editor Daniel is also predicting him, so it’s not completely deranged possibility).

Pen15 and Shrill don’t have male leads, Woke is buzzless, Ramy is missing, and The Great & Only Murders won’t be ready in time. What else can Hulu really stump for?

The second season is airing in June so I guess there’s no harm in Hulu trying some sort of campaign of him.

Dear Emmys Voters

Television has never been better and it’s a pandemic year.

Be bold, not boring.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If Dave misses eligibility I honest to god have no idea what to put in my 6th slot in Actor.

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

So I guess Mom’s finale can get Actress, Directing and Guest Actress* nominations

*assuming Faris returns for the finale

EMMY FYC

The Crown in all categories (inc. Olivia Colman & Gillian Anderson)

I May Destroy You, It’s a Sin, Stateless & The Queens Gambit

Kate Winslet, Keeley Hawes, Shaun Parkes, Marielle Heller, Michaela Coel

Ted Lasso & The Flight Attendant in all categories.

Girls5Eva

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Comedy Actress

1. Kaley Cuoco, The Flight Attendant – Honestly this woman is probably winning this category but I refuse to call anyone in the  lead actress categories locks (for the win) at this stage because these categories tend to be the most volatile. The success of The Flight Attendant at awards shows is down to her strong acclaimed against the type performance. The SAG ensemble nomination, the series nominations at the Globes and Critics Choice… I feel like people who even aren’t the biggest of fans of The Flight Attendant agree that Cuoco’s dramatic comedic performance is outstanding. One thing that surprised me when the show dropped as a box set over here was how even the most snobbish of critics were taken by her performance. I believe there was a reviewer who stated beforehand that they could not care for Cuoco in The Big Bang Theory and 8 Simple Rules but that she was “breathtaking on this show” and immediately followed to give the show 5 stars even though they were quite critical of it tonally. In a normal year Cuoco might have been Aniston’d but with how weak the field and how much support there is for her show (which is definitely second) I think she’s likely got this as long as Apple don’t bump Hannah Waddingham up to lead or someone gains traction later on.

2. Tracee Ellis Ross, Black-ish – ABSOLUTELY locked for the nomination if you ask me. She is the only returning nominee from both last year and this field is embarrassingly weak. Whilst I’m sceptical about Black-ish slipping back into Series, I think both Ross and Anderson garner so much respect for their work on this show that they’re default picks for voters and even more so in a weak field.

————————————————————————————————

3. Maya Erskine, Pen15 – A risky prediction for sure but Pen15 reminds me of Ramy last year. It has a sophomore season that builds on the acclaim of the previous season and afters its awards breakthrough, Emmy voters look at it and say “hmm that looks interesting I might go check it out” and then it does well on nominations morning. We know some members of the academy are watching Pen15 and that it has a niche but growing fanbase so in this weak field I don’t think it’s implausible she gets in. Pen15 is neither widely seen or crowdpleasing enough to break into SAG nor is it an ensemble show for it to get into SAG ensemble and all it’s DGA and PGA snubs tell us is that it’s not that strong a series contender.

4. Jean Smart, Hacks – Obviously I cannot have Smart so high until Hacks is actually seen but for now I feel pretty happy having her in. The pedigree gives me confidence and she’s a familiar face to emmy voters. One who could benefit from the added buzz of Mare of Easttown premiering at the same time. That being said we said the same thing about Merritt Wever last year so she’s far from a sure thing and of course Hacks could be a massive flop. But for now I feel ok having her in this position.

5. Anna Konkle, Pen15 – Maya Erskine is clearly the favourite amongst audiences of the two and she is certainly “the face” of the show in the eyes of many (something that I felt even before watching the show because I had seen so many gifs about Erskine’s character online and honestly I hadn’t heard of Anna Konkle before watching the show). That being said I feel like this is a Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini situation. There is a clear audience favourite of the show but the co-lead is in almost every scene of the show that the favoured lead isn’t in and it’s hard to not check them off in the nominations stage. Erskine will get more votes than Konkle in nominations but I can’t imagine there will be that significant an amount of people who check her off without Konkle.

6. Robin Thede, A Black Lady Sketch Show – A Black Lady Sketch Show got nominated not only for Variety Sketch Series last year but also for Comedy Guest Actress for Angela Bassett. Of course that could be chalked down to the profile of her name but what I’ve noticed with this particular show is how hardly anyone watches it but the sketches are so widely seen. It’s similar (although not in the same extent) to how SNL grew in support from the actors branch in recent times and how Kate McKinnon won two Emmys for her SNL cold open impression of Hillary Clinton. With the show’s growth in prominence and the likelihood Thede will have more of a push from HBO this time round, I do think she stands a shot.

7. Alia Shawkat, Search Party – I have never seen a single episode of  this show but I’ve noticed it’s had a surge in visibility and buzz. I’ve seen memes from this show shared on social media, lots of celebrities talk about it when they’ve been interviewed on late night talk shows and it’s performed moderately well on HBO Max’s viewing charts. I’ve noticed this season hasn’t exactly been the best amongst fans but it seems to have had a strong push from critics so with the push from critics and HBO Max and the possibility it could benefit from the goodwill of the previous seasons, I do think it has a chance a breaking through in an empty field like Schitt’s Creek did for season 5 and Insecure did last year in spite of neither season be particularly considered the best or outstanding.

8. Allison Janney, Mom – Emmy voters love Allison Janney. That is until they stopped nominating her two years ago for anything! The problem I have with predicting Janney is I’m not sure if Emmy voters still watch or care for this show any more. Of course it’s not with the actors branch but notice how this show slipped out of the multi-cam categories last year whilst something like The Conners held on. She could obviously theoretically pull a Viola Davis and get into a weak field for a show Emmy voters don’t care about so much anymore but coupled with this show’s decreasing viewership and the news of its cancellation, I am not as confident as others are about it.

9. Jane Levy, Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist – Unlike Mom, this one has actually been doing well in viewership but do members of the academy watch it or even know it exists? I feel like the only show they actually pay attention to that’s on network television is This is Us. The Good Place at least was an international hit and was on Netflix like Better Call Saul. That Golden Globe nomination is obviously a boost to visibility to Levy but it’s not as if they haven’t nominated and awarded performers from network musicals that haven’t gone anywhere at the Emmys before.

10. Hailee Steinfeld, Dickinson Dickinson does seem to have some prestige attention because it did win a Peabody and was far as I can gather this season is an improvement upon the first but my only question is how many people actually watch this show? It feels like a critically acclaimed version of The Politician where it has a cult fan base but it’s a completely buzzless show. If Apple play their cards right I guess Steinfeld could happen but I have similar doubts to the ones I have with Jane Levy.

11. Cristin Milioti, Made for Love – My problem with Milioti isn’t the tepidness of Made for Love‘s reviews or the eery comparisons with Run last year but more that the show’s narrative has resulted in a more polarising response than I expected with the people who need to rave about it, critics! Perhaps I’m wrong and Milioti’s rising profile as a household name helps it break through with the mainstream but I’m not confident. That being said Milioti’s performance has garnered quite a positive response from critics who weren’t that taken by the show. So I won’t rule her out entirely.

12. Aidy Bryant, Shrill – Like Jean Smart (although to a lesser extent) she’s someone we know Emmy voters are familiar with and her show is Hulu’s only non Pen15 comedy this year. She also might benefit from final season buzz.

13. Lily Collins, Emily in Paris – I correctly predicted Collins to get nominated at the Golden Globe and stuck by that prediction the entire time the predictions centre was open and always cautioned others against underestimating the popularity of this show but it got such a big backlash after it got nominated at the Golden Globes (a bit like James Corden getting in for The Prom) that I honestly cannot see this show recover from that and get any nominations above the line. It will do well below the line though, especially in those empty half hour categories.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.