Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 4)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 501 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
braydenfitzsi..
Victor
  • Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

…Okay?

As if this season couldn’t get any weirder…

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

At this point is it even implausible for William H. Macy and Ben Platt to make it in? That category is weak af, they’ve already nominated the former before and we know that at least some of the actors branch watched The Politician considering they nominated Midler in guest last season.

If Cobra Kai flops at the Emmys then the field could be thin enough for them I guess.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

I wonder how much of Middler’s nom was on her name/legacy than the show itself. Her Broadway run in Hello Dolly essentially cemented her already legend status even more and (correct me if I’m wrong) but The Politician was the first she’s acted on anything in television since her 1 season titular flop CBS sitcom in 2001?

If Light was also nominated alongside Midler I’d more confident in a Platt nom. Not saying it’s impossible for Platt to be nominated, because given the less-than-competitive field and The Politician’s overperformance last year (being Netflix’s most nominated comedy despite being ABANDONED by them), there’s really no way he can be any lower than 10th.

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Jennifer C. Holmes in “This Is Us” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I actually feel like the fact Light wasn’t nominated signifies that they did actually watch The Politician.

Don’t get me wrong I personally thought Light was win worthy (even if I might not have thought the show was groundbreaking) but I remember at the time Midler was widely considered the standout of her episode and people thought Light would make it in over her because of her status as a recent Emmy fave and the fact Midler wasn’t so much of one.

but The Politician was the first she’s acted on anything in television since her 1 season titular flop CBS sitcom in 2001?

She reprised her Emmy nominated role on the Murphy Brown revival in 2018 and missed the nomination.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

If Cobra Kai flops at the Emmys then the field could be thin enough for them I guess.

I’m really not sure why so many people are investing in Cobra Kai as a potential major Emmy nominee. Like, why? What about that show seems like it would be in Emmy’s taste?

Profile picture
    Chloe Sevigny stan <3
    Topics:

I’m really not sure why so many people are investing in Cobra Kai as a potential major Emmy nominee. Like, why? What about that show seems like it would be in Emmy’s taste?

I don’t buy it getting a series nomination (yet, anyway) but lead actor is so unbelievably weak that it seems plausible they’ll make it.

Emmy FYC!!: Chloe Sevigny (We Are Who We Are), MJ Rodriguez (Pose), Billy Porter (Pose), Emma Corrin (The Crown), Elisabeth Moss (The Handmaid’s Tale), Maya Erskine (Pen15), Anna Konkle (Pen15), Naomi Ackie (Master of None), Thuso Mbedu (The Underground Railroad), Kate Winslet (Mare of Easttown), Michaela Coel (I May Destroy You)

Profile picture
    DanC
    Topics:

Comedy equivalent to the Mandalorian in a basically empty field.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

It’s not like there are too many options

Cobra Kai is a phenomenon and many people have a feeling industry is going to embrace escapism. The signs are there. The Queen’s Gambit sweeping, Bridgerton overperforming at SAG and DGA, etc. On the movie side, there’s Borat 2 almost getting nominated to Best Picture and My Octopus Teacher sweeping despite not being the best documentary of the year.

The show was already nominated for Stunts two years in a row.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

The show was already nominated for Stunts two years in a row.

And that it was barely seen on a service that’s now dissolved.

Just look at how got so like 6 MTV Awards nominations this week, general audiences love this show. And it’s been said before on here, but it’s the perfect blend of nostalgic IP (Mandalorian) and organic discovery (Schitt’s).

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Jennifer C. Holmes in “This Is Us” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Don’t get me wrong I personally thought Light was win worthy (even if I might not have thought the show was groundbreaking) but I remember at the time Midler was widely considered the standout of her episode and people thought Light would make it in over her because of her status as a recent Emmy fave and the fact Midler wasn’t so much of one.

True. And (imo), the funniest scene this season was when Hadassah found out about the throuple at dinner.

She reprised her Emmy nominated role on the Murphy Brown revival in 2018 and missed the nomination.

omg I forget that revival was a thing

(and I guess everyone else did except the HFPA).

Profile picture
    smurty11
    Topics:

Interested to see how Rutherford Falls turns out. I liked the trailer and its getting good reviews so far. Especially excited to see that the show highlights Native Americans in prominent roles!

Hopefully another successful Michael Schur project!!

Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

Might fuck around and slot Rob McElhenney in my predictions. Comedy Actor is barren, “Mythic Quest” has gotten a bit of catch-up buzz since the first season premiered last winter and season two is premiering at the perfect time to be top of mind. I also think there’s a certain respect or at least recognition of “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia,” and if voters are absolutely watching “Ted Lasso,” there is perhaps some encouragement to check out Apple TV+’s other comedy programming.

Based on the intel about the new season of “Master of None,” I’m starting to question Aziz Ansari’s lead placement and there are already plenty of slots open for McElhenney to happen.

Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

Is Call My Agent! eligible for the Emmys?

If so I could see that getting in as it’s been building in buzz and people seeing the show over time, is an acclaimed series and the lack of other contenders may help a smaller, passionate voter block for this get a Series nod ahead of other series which get a scatter of votes.

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

It’s not like there are too many options

Cobra Kai is a phenomenon and many people have a feeling industry is going to embrace escapism.

I wouldn’t call Cobra Kai a “phenomenon” … it’s nowhere near the levels of viewership as The Mandalorian or a Game of Thrones type of show. And it’s far from the quality type of show the Emmys would go for. It doesn’t have the same critical backing that either of those non-traditional Emmy shows had either.

I agree there aren’t that many contenders this year, but I don’t think that means the Emmys will just go for any series or a show because it was highly viewed. Am I to believe that Netflix’s Ginny & Georgia will also be nominated, because its viewership was even higher than Cobra Kai’s???

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

IndieWire Actor Predictions

Predicted Nominees:

Jason Sudeikis, “Ted Lasso”
    Michael Douglas, “The Kominsky Method”
    Anthony Anderson, “Black-ish”
    Ted Danson, “Mr. Mayor”
    Kenan Thompson, “Kenan”
    Rob McElhenney, “Mythic Quest”

Contenders:
    William H. Macy, “Shameless”
    Ben Platt, “The Politician”
    Ralph Macchio, “Cobra Kai”
    William Zabka, “Cobra Kai”
    Jamie Foxx, “Dad, Stop Embarrassing Me”
    Michael Cimino, “Love, Victor”
    Martin Freeman, “Breeders”
    John Goodman, “The Conners”
    Billy Magnussen, “Made for Love”

In a Perfect World:
    Ben Feldman, “Superstore”
    Glenn Howerton, “A.P. Bio”
    Walton Goggins, “The Unicorn”
    Alan Tudyk, “Resident Alien”

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.