Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 4)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 501 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
braydenfitzsi..
Victor
  • Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

She Hulk is a comedy?

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Profile picture
    TheCriticsChoice
    Topics:

Not sure if anyone is keeping up with The Conners but they’ve given Lecy Goranson a great story arc about losing her sobriety and she’s knocking it out of the park. Given her Critics Choice nominations I think she’s in contention for an Emmy nom.

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

She Hulk is a comedy?

The character’s comics are known to have a strong emphasis on comedy. Also, Kevin Feige described the series as a “half-hour legal comedy”.

FYC Emmys: Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist: Comedy Series, Comedy Actress (Jane Levy); Cobra Kai: Comedy Series; Dickinson: Comedy Actress (Hailee Steinfeld); The Good Doctor: Drama Actor (Freddie Highmore), Drama Supporting Actress (Paige Spara); His Dark Materials: Drama Supporting Actress (Ruth Wilson); Lovecraft Country: Drama Supporting Actress (Jamie Chung); WandaVision: Limited Series, Actress (Elizabeth Olsen), Actor (Paul Bettany), Supporting Actress (Kathryn Hahn).

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Someone help me: What is winning Directing in a Comedy Series in DGA this Saturday ? (I don’t know if this is the right place to discuss since they rarely matches with the Emmys)

Naturally, I would pick some episode from Ted Lasso, but considering that there are two the vote splitting might be a thing and Susanna Fogel may end up winning.

But The Hope That Kills You is the most acclaimed episode from the show, along with Make Rebecca Great Again, which wasn’t submitted. I think I’m going to pick Ted Lasso.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think <i>The Flight Attendant </i>will take DGA. They’re too vote-splitty and name-checky for “Biscuits” (directed by Zach Braff) and “The Hope That Kills You” (the direction showcase) to not cancel each other out.

There’s also an argument to be made that Barry has won these past two years due to Maisel and Atlanta vote-splitting.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

Worth noting is that Curb Your Enthusiasm has won at DGA twice, both times being nominated for at least one other episode and overcoming vote-splitting.

The DGA is also more friendly with female directors and all three programs have a woman in the running.

I’d rule Braff out. The other episode is better received and helmed by a woman. If it were me, The Flight Attendant wouldn’t be nominated, but being the only show without internal competition makes it a strong contender.

Ted Lasso makes the most sense due to the support it received at several guilds, but all three comedies can take it. I’m also not sure if I’ll give much weight to the double episodes nominated because at DGA if one of them is the standout, it wins. Maisel never made a splash here and Atlanta having both Glover and Murai isn’t the same level or competition we have this year.

Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

On the “TV’s Top 5” podcast, Hollywood Reporter journalists Daniel Fienberg and Lesley Goldberg said that there is a show premiering in May that hasn’t been announced yet that will “absolutely” be a Comedy contender at the Emmys based on its past history. This plays into some of the talk we’d heard earlier last week, and considering it is April and there is enough word on the ground about this show, we should be getting an announcement soon.

Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

The mysterious returning comedy was teased as a “re-entry”, which means it’s not a program that was eligible last year (therefore, it’s not Curb Your Enthusiasm, Insecure, Maisel or What We Do in the Shadows)? Or a show whose last season was snubbed in Series?

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

It’s Master of None, everybody knows by now.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Master of None can actually win over Ted Lasso. It’s so much better.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Jason Sudeikis is probably safe but yeah Master Of None could be a major threat in writing, directing and ultimately Series.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Naomi Ackie could also threaten Waddingham if she’s any good.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Indiewire’s comedy predictions:

“Ted Lasso” (Apple TV+)
    “Pen15” (Hulu)
    “The Flight Attendant” (HBO Max)
    “Black-ish” (ABC)
    “The Kominsky Method” (Netflix)
    “Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist” (NBC)
    “Search Party” (HBO Max)
    “Mythic Quest” (Apple TV+)

Contenders: “Dickinson,” “Hacks,” “Dave,” “Mom,” “Shameless,” “Cobra Kai,” “Made for Love,” “Emily in Paris,” “Mr. Mayor,” “Kenan”

In a Perfect World: “Superstore,” “A.P. Bio,” “Corporate,” “Bridge and Tunnel”

https://www.indiewire.com/feature/best-comedy-series-emmy-predictions-2021-1234629017/

Profile picture
    orangestraw
    Topics:

Not sure if it’ll make a dent on any categories (not sure if this falls into Comedy or Variety), but the Ziwe trailer looks wild. Plus Jane Krakowski, Bowen Yang, I think I saw Cristin Milotti too. And the wardrobe!

https://twitter.com/ziwe/status/1380551455778672641

FYC:
    Ego Nwodim ("SNL"), Nico Santos ("Superstore"), Lolly Adefope ("Shrill"), MJ Rodriguez ("Pose"), Kate Winslet, Julianne Nicholson ("Mare of Easttown"), Punam Patel ("Special")

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Indiewire’s comedy predictions: “Ted Lasso” (Apple TV+) “Pen15” (Hulu) “The Flight Attendant” (HBO Max) “Black-ish” (ABC) “The Kominsky Method” (Netflix) “Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist” (NBC) “Search Party” (HBO Max) “Mythic Quest” (Apple TV+) Contenders: “Dickinson,” “Hacks,” “Dave,” “Mom,” “Shameless,” “Cobra Kai,” “Made for Love,” “Emily in Paris,” “Mr. Mayor,” “Kenan” In a Perfect World: “Superstore,” “A.P. Bio,” “Corporate,” “Bridge and Tunnel” https://www.indiewire.com/feature/best-comedy-series-emmy-predictions-2021-1234629017/

These are my predictions as well, except for Search Party (no one watches the show, the same goes for Dickinson) and Mythic Quest. I think Dave and Cobra Kai will make the cut instead.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.