Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 5)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 500 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Maisel and Barry weren’t exactly weak competition.

This is my point. In retrospect to the competition in place next year, they were.

Maisel was definitely a strong contender and was going into the night with a casting win and as the frontrunner in Actress and Writing but there should have been no reason for Donald Glover to lose to Bill Hader (in fact only 438 people predicted Hader in comparison to the 1928 predicting Glover).

I love Atlanta but if it couldn’t win for one of the most acclaimed seasons of a comedy ever at a time when its star was quite literally the king of pop culture, then how can it overcome either of those two shows, Russian DollTed LassoThe GreatShadows etc when it comes to the win when it’s probably airing almost a full year before next year’s Emmys.

Anyway this isn’t the place to talk about next year haha.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Atlanta was truly at its peak that year and it couldn’t even repeat in Actor, even with the Teddy Perkins episode. I don’t see it being win competitive for series with strong competition.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I’ve always thought Maisel would win that year, and i did think Bill Hader could win but was a long shot.

Then it was what it was.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

Atlanta was truly at its peak that year and it couldn’t even repeat in Actor, even with the Teddy Perkins episode. I don’t see it being win competitive for series with strong competition.

I disagree. I think the demand / buzz is high for a new season of Atlanta and more people have “discovered” it during its hiatus.

It helps that the cast is highly in-demand and honored:

Donald Glover – Top Grammy winner
    Brian Tyree Henry – about to be Marvel star
    LaKeith Stanfield – Just Oscar nominated
    Zazie Beetz – in top films like Joker, Deadpool 2 and upcoming Bullet Train with Brad Pitt.

As long as it keeps up with the quality and has the critics backing it, I think it could be win-competitive.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

more people have “discovered” it during its hiatus.

Have they though? Apart from when the cast started filming in London last month, I haven’t seen anyone talk about the show during its hiatus. At least not as much as Russian Doll or Barry. And certainly not as much as Fleabag was in between its two seasons.

The problem it has is that at the time when it was arguably the most acclaimed show on the planet and when its star was having his PWB/Levy moment, it couldn’t beat a freshman under the radar auteur driven dramedy or a 1960s set period comedy that wasn’t a massive zeitgeisty hit. So how is it going to distinguish itself with other acclaimed and auteur driven hits like Barry (which has become a massive hit both in its hiatus and with its second season) and Russian Doll also in contention.

Atlanta is one of my favourite shows ever and it will certainly get nominated but when it comes to the win? Idk.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Atlanta, Barry etc. are never winning. Voters like their comedy series winner to be light hearted, not a dramedy. It has been the case for decades even the giant Desperate Housewives couldn’t win because it was considered too dramatic.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

^^^ This.

As great as Ally McBeal is, that and The Practice partially won because the conservative Academy at the time didn’t want to reward HBO over broadcast networks. It’s no surprise that the only hour long to win since (Maisel) is literally about a stand up comedian. Even for as dark as Fleabag went, it’s still a sex comedy adapted from a stage farce.

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I hope What We Do In the Shadows manages a win then.
    Comedy as it’s finest.

Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

^^^ This.

As great as Ally McBeal is, that and The Practice partially won because the conservative Academy at the time didn’t want to reward HBO over broadcast networks. It’s no surprise that the only hour long to win since (Maisel) is literally about a stand up comedian. Even for as dark as Fleabag went, it’s still a sex comedy adapted from a stage farce.

I disagree a bit?

Ally McBeal was the frontrunner that year. Sex and the City was probably last place.

The Practice’s win was a surprise indeed, but it benefited from the tape system. I don’t think it was because they had a cable bias.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    TVFan365
    Topics:

I don’t know if Atlanta will win series but I do think all 4 main actors will be nominated instead of just Glover and Henry.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Atlanta, Barry etc. are never winning. Voters like their comedy series winner to be light hearted, not a dramedy.

They literally lost to a dramedy and an hour-long one no less.  I see the sentiment, but I am jumping on it because this is a recurring fallacious argument here.  Do the winning series tend to be on the lighter side?  Sure, but what if The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel had not premiered that year?  The Emmys would not have jumped over Barry and Atlanta to award Silicon Valley or GLOW just because they were lighter.  Then you had dark tragicomedy Fleabag sweeping the next year, dominating over the two previous winners and the next one.  So enough with the qualifying of these darker comedies and dramedies as not being darker comedies and dramedies.  They are and they do not usually win, but they sometimes do, especially now that we are out of the preferential and tape systems.  Who knows if the supposed bias never would have been established as a statistic without those? PGA has a history of cool choices.

Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

I don’t know if Atlanta will win series but I do think all 4 main actors will be nominated instead of just Glover and Henry.

We need that LaKeith nomination ASAP.

FYC Emmys: Ted Lasso (all categories), Wandavision (all categories), The Mandalorian (Best Drama Series), Danny Pudi (Mythic Quest), Maya Erksine (Pen15), Michaela Coel (I May Destroy You), Alan Tudyk (Resident Alien), Antony Starr (The Boys), Daniel Brühl (The Falcon and the Winter Soldier), Ethan Hawke (The Good Lord Bird), Invincible (Animated Program)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Supporting Actress is such a mess to predict. It’s a weaker field and Hannah Waddingham is probably winning as long as Lasso takes series (the new Alex Borstein if you will lol) but it still feels like a competitive field nominations wise.

Are SNL and The Flight Attendant really going to land three supporting actress nominations each? When was the last time a show got three supporting nominations in either comedy or drama category that wasn’t the series frontrunner of had just swept/had lots of buzz and visibility off of winning major Emmys the previous year?

Anyway here’s where I’m at in that category. What are the rest of you predicting?

1. Hannah Waddingham, Ted Lasso
    2. Maya Rudolph, Saturday Night Live (although the episode she hosted of the show is listed on NBC’s FYC site so is she perhaps going guest?)
    3. Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live
    4. Juno Temple, Ted Lasso
    5. Zosia Mamet, The Flight Attendant
    6. Chloe Fineman, Saturday Night Live
    7. Rosie Perez, The Flight Attendant
    8. Kathleen Turner, The Kominsky Method

9. Cecily Strong, Saturday Night Live
    10. Bette Midler, The Politician

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I need Girls5Eva to do good for me to drop at least two of these SNL people, enough is enough I guess.

About the dark dramedy debate, i don’t see Maisel as a dramedy at all, it was a comedy all along, with some more down to earth scenes, but i can’t see that argument.

Barry is comedy gold, it’s not light hearted but i think, if Maisel wasn’t in the scene, it would’ve had won

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I have both Kathleen Turner and Paul Reiser in the Supporting categories because I don’t know who they’re going to nominate from TKM, but I’m starting to consider Douglas being the only acting nom. Turner and Reiser aren’t Alan Arkin.

Also, I dropped Black-ish from Series.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.