Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 5)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 500 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Is High School Musical S2 (premiering this Friday) submitting this year or will it be another Black Monday situation for next year’s Emmy cycle?

Could be surprise player in the Half-Hour categories and Original Music and Lyrics, especially the latter since the show’s lead is literally the biggest popstar in the world right now.

Dear Emmys Voters

Television has never been better and it’s a pandemic year.

Be bold, not boring.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Sam Esmail was on newest episode of The Big Picture podcast and said both he and Emmy Rossum loved girls5eva.

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Sam Esmail was on newest episode of The Big Picture podcast and said both he and Emmy Rossum loved girls5eva.

I really think it has enough heat to be in the conversation. I didn’t see critics support a show like this in quite sometime. Hacks is getting 90s reviews but you don’t see them being excited about it like they are for Girls5eva. Of course that could change when it debuts, but that embargo has been lifted really quietly for something that acclaimed.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Jean Smart is coming for that Big Bang Theory girl.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I think that if Girls5eva happens, it will be just Series + Writing/Directing + Guest for Tina Fey. I haven’t watched it, but it looks like an ensemble work rather than a vehicle for someone in the cast like Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist is a vehicle for Jane Levy.

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

I think that if Girls5eva happens, it will be just Series + Writing/Directing + Guest for Tina Fey. I haven’t watched it, but it looks like an ensemble work rather than a vehicle for someone in the cast like Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist is a vehicle for Jane Levy.

I disagree. If Emmy voters watch Girls5eva, at least some of the cast will be recognized. They are too high-profile to be ignored and this is a weak year.

Profile picture
    agorretta
    Topics:

Clarification question for anyone, what’s the deal going to be with Search Party? Because both Season 3 and Season 4 aired on HBO Max within the eligibility period. Are both seasons actually eligible, or just Season 4? Are they trying to submit both seasons together, or are they just submitting Season 4? If they count both, then that would raise the episode count to 20, which would technically make people like Shalita Grant, Michaela Watkins, and Louie Anderson guest eligible, right? Maybe even Cole Escola, though I’d have to check his episode count. Just curious what the rules are/what they’re pushing. Could be a nice way to take away some guest spots from SNL. Though one could claim category fraud.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

I think that if Girls5eva happens, it will be just Series + Writing/Directing + Guest for Tina Fey. I haven’t watched it, but it looks like an ensemble work rather than a vehicle for someone in the cast like Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist is a vehicle for Jane Levy.

It’s actually not. Golsberry can easily get a nod if voters watch it.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I’m already predicting Goldsberry for Girls5eva, and after Bareilles’ surprise nomination for Jesus Christ Superstar a few years back, I’m really tempted to slot her in as well.

Cuoco, Ross, and Smart are an obvious top three. I’ve got Steinfeld at 100/1 odds and I want to hope-dict her until the end, so despite all reason I’m keeping her in. Those last two slots really just depend on how much actors are liking (or even watching) PEN15 and Girls5eva.

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Clarification question for anyone, what’s the deal going to be with Search Party? Because both Season 3 and Season 4 aired on HBO Max within the eligibility period. Are both seasons actually eligible, or just Season 4? Are they trying to submit both seasons together, or are they just submitting Season 4? If they count both, then that would raise the episode count to 20, which would technically make people like Shalita Grant, Michaela Watkins, and Louie Anderson guest eligible, right? Maybe even Cole Escola, though I’d have to check his episode count. Just curious what the rules are/what they’re pushing. Could be a nice way to take away some guest spots from SNL.

Both seasons are eligible, so Grant, Watkins and Anderson are indeed going guest.  Would love to see all of them nominated.  Search Party should really be running the guest categories the way that we are expecting for Saturday Night Live.  There were so many great additions in the third season, plus plenty of their guests from the first two seasons deserve makeup nominations for which they are eligible.

Hard to discount Girls5eva because it looks like it will hit TCA pretty easily and they have been so predictive when it comes to comedy lately, but the Peacock factor is huge.  I mean, 400 votes on IMDb.  Sure, we have success stories like The Handmaid’s Tale dropping at the end of eligibility, but a model that is just as likely and much more concerning is Killing Eve.  That show was a late-breaker with huge critical backing, plus goodwill from audiences, but it still missed series because the timeline was just too short, then it exploded to its full potential the next year.  Not a heavy-hitter, but BBC America was a proven network at that point too, between Orphan BlackLutherBlue Planet and whatnot.  Girls5eva might have a relatively low ceiling this year.

Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

I mean, 400 votes on IMDb.

This is very concerning.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Wait Jean Smart hasn’t lost a single Emmy in comedy?

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

A female lead show not doing great on IMDb is hardly surprising tho. On the TV Time app Girls5eva already has 3k followers in less than a week (PEN15 only has 17k in almost 2 years for example).

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

When Olivia Rodrigo is nominated for Comedy Actress…

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Olivia Rodrigo

She just got her drivers license and she’s going to leave Kaley Cuoco and Jean Smart eating her rubber.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.