Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 5)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 500 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I wouldn’t go that far. Let’s see how the rest of the season goes. I enjoyed the first 2 episodes and agree that Jean Smart will likely win Lead Actress, but from what I’ve seen, it would be my 4th choice in Comedy Series…

1) Ted Lasso
    2) Girls5eva
    3) The Flight Attendant
    4) Hacks

Why would Girl5eva be ahead of Hacks ?

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

That’s like the worst thing for its awards chances lol

At least it will get more seasons and I’m happy about that (if the deal is done)

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Why would Girl5eva be ahead of Hacks ?

I assume they were posting a ranking of the contenders by personal preference rather than a predictions ranking.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I assume they were posting a ranking of the contenders by personal preference rather than a predictions ranking.

Oh yeah, you’re right LOL

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I just saw the first two episodes of Girls5Eva and whilst I’m questioning whether Goldsberry is lead or supporting, it is so fricking hilarious! Completely lightened up my day.

It needs to happen.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I just saw the first two episodes of Girls5Eva and whilst I’m questioning whether Goldsberry is lead or supporting, it is so fricking hilarious! Completely lightened up my day. It needs to happen.

Yeah she is bordeline. The only one I would complain going supporting is Sara Bareilles as I feel like she is the “true” lead.

Profile picture
    orangestraw
    Topics:

I’ve admitted defeat on finding a means of watching Girls5eva before eligibility closes, so crossing fingers it’s picked up over here soon. Everything I’ve read about Renee’s performance makes me think she’s getting a nom.

FYC:
    Ego Nwodim ("SNL"), Nico Santos ("Superstore"), Lolly Adefope ("Shrill"), MJ Rodriguez ("Pose"), Kate Winslet, Julianne Nicholson ("Mare of Easttown"), Punam Patel ("Special")

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Hacks has already started off with a strong audience rating.

IMDB scores of new shows this season:

1. Ted Lasso: 8.7
    2. Resident Alien: 8.2
    3. Hacks: 7.8
    4. Girls5Eva: 7.3
    5. The Flight Attendant: 7.1
    6. Truth Seekers: 7.1
    7. Emily in Paris: 7.0
    8. Made for Love: 6.9
    8. Young Rock: 6.9

IMDB scores of comedies that broke through in their first season at the Emmys:

1. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: 8.7
    2. Atlanta: 8.6
    3. Barry: 8.3
    3. Master of None: 8.3
    5. GLOW: 8.0
    6. Russian Doll: 7.9
    7. Transparent: 7.7

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think whilst the race is shaping up, Ted Lasso is still in quite a good position to win.

I feel like it’s a similar situation to the one last year or the one in 2018. Ted Lasso (an across the board player) is propelled to the win partly because there isn’t a strong enough second place player. No show other than Schitt’s Creek last year was nominated in all 3 of acting, writing and directing. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel did quite well in nominations but it wasn’t that strong a second place player for it to come close to upsetting. Atlanta did well enough in nominations for it to stand a chance against Maisel that year but it lost two significant categories to Barry (a late breaker whose profile wasn’t so high at the time).

Now the situation could obviously change but this is arguably the case this year as well. The Flight Attendant is DOA in Writing and hasn’t won anything significant over Ted Lasso at the winter awards. Hacks does have strong buzz and acclaim but it’s also a late breaker and airing in a month where voters also have a tonne of other high profile contenders to watch. The same can be said of Master of None as whilst it is an established show, this season seems to be marketed by Netflix as a one off spin off (i.e. like a reboot). The fact that both shows are premiering alongside so many high profile contenders this month could hurt them in visibility and could cost them nominations in a category like S. Actress or Writing for example.

I’m basing this on instinct rather than intellect so I could be very off here if something like Hacks or Master of None over-perform in nominations but I guess what I’m trying to say is that Ted Lasso still feels like the safe frontrunner in series (even if it might lose supporting actress or Hacks is a strong contender in a category like Actress).

Profile picture
    ratednext
    Topics:

Great season finale for Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist.  I really hope it can get nominated for best comedy and that NBC renews it for another season.

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Ted Lasso season 2 is out in July, so actually I do think it’s a lock, especially if the second season is as good as the first.

EMMY FYC

The Crown in all categories (inc. Olivia Colman & Gillian Anderson)

I May Destroy You, It’s a Sin, Stateless & The Queens Gambit

Kate Winslet, Keeley Hawes, Shaun Parkes, Marielle Heller, Michaela Coel

Ted Lasso & The Flight Attendant in all categories.

Girls5Eva

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So I saw episode 2 of Hacks and this is my immediate thought…

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Can Anthony Hopkins compete in the narrator category? He did narrate an episode of Mythic Quest

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m seeing two episodes of Master of None at a screening on Wednesday! Will post my review on here almost immediately after (I believe the embargo lifts that day haha).

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

It is a pity that few people watch Breeders. Martin Freeman is great in this series

FYC Emmys: Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist: Comedy Series, Comedy Actress (Jane Levy); Cobra Kai: Comedy Series; Dickinson: Comedy Actress (Hailee Steinfeld); The Good Doctor: Drama Actor (Freddie Highmore), Drama Supporting Actress (Paige Spara); His Dark Materials: Drama Supporting Actress (Ruth Wilson); Lovecraft Country: Drama Supporting Actress (Jamie Chung); WandaVision: Limited Series, Actress (Elizabeth Olsen), Actor (Paul Bettany), Supporting Actress (Kathryn Hahn).

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.