Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 5)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 166 total)
Created
6 days ago
Last Reply
46 mins ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The problem I have with Knight is the same one I have with Brett Goldstein in the sense that whilst both have the largest arcs of the male supporting cast of their show, there doesn’t seem to be much passion for their performances (at least on a comedic level).

That being said here’s an interesting theory. What if both Huisman and Knight make it in and Knight is the Duplass to Huisman’s Crudup? And the Ted Lasso men are in a similar situation to the Succession men?

I don’t think Huisman will win (I have Yang predicted at the moment) but yeah.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Yves Wearn
    Topics:

I’m honestly not a fan of Goldstein’s performance, even though he had one of the main arcs this season and was quite surprised to see him as Lasso’s frontrunner. I have both Swift and Hunt ahead of him, but I have no idea how the academy will see that..

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

That being said here’s an interesting theory. What if both Huisman and Knight make it in and Knight is the Duplass to Huisman’s Crudup? And the Ted Lasso men are in a similar situation to the Succession men?

I don’t think Huisman will win (I have Yang predicted at the moment) but yeah.

Honestly, the fact that you said this makes me want to predict Huisman to win.

FYC Emmys: Ted Lasso (all categories), Wandavision (all categories), The Mandalorian (Best Drama Series), Mythic Quest (Best Comedy Series), Michaela Coel (I May Destroy You), Alan Tudyk (Resident Alien), Antony Starr (The Boys), Daniel Brühl (The Falcon and the Winter Soldier), Ethan Hawke (The Good Lord Bird), Invincible (Animated Program)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Hunt is probably the safest of the Lasso supporting men to get nominated but Mohammed feels like he’s the likeliest to be win competitive.

That being said I think Mohammed and Swift will probably cancel each other out due to both having the quirky fan favourite roles and there not being a clear standout between the two (see Kieran Culkin and Matthew Macfadyen last year).

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Mark A Bowers
    Topics:

It’s hard to tell where Alison Janney is in this race. On the one hand she could easily slip back in like Andre Braugher last year. But it feels like not many people care about her or her work on Mom so much anymore. Whether that be through her triple shut out last year for Mom, The Kominsky Method and Bad Education or the show’s drop in ratings and its cancellation.

I have a strong suspicion that Janney, Jean Smart and Kaley Cuoco are the leading 3 contenders. While MOM never got the respect it deserved at the Emmys, except for Janney, a fitting farewell to a giant in her field wouldn’t be shocking and actually very worthwhile nominee. Jamie Lee Presley receiving a supporting nod (while I’m not holding my breath) is certainly warranted as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

2 editors are now predicting Lena Waithe to WIN Comedy Actress.

I wonder if this is the “shake up” that Riley was hinting to us.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Madson Melo
    Topics:

So, MON is eligible with 5 episodes?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    orangestraw
    Topics:

The problem I have with Knight is the same one I have with Brett Goldstein in the sense that whilst both have the largest arcs of the male supporting cast of their show, there doesn’t seem to be much passion for their performances (at least on a comedic level).  

T.R. Knight felt more of a recurring player to me. One episode where he’s kind of a focus (and even then doesn’t have a standout scene – the restaurant scene was fine) then the rest of the series literally phoning in his performance. I don’t see it happening.

It’s about the supporting women for me. Zosia Mamet definitely has some comedy in the first few episodes before her role becomes more dramatic, and Gomez is gold in episode seven. In my eyes they’re overdue anyway, for Shosh’s Japan episode of Girls and every single thing Gomez did in Green Wing years ago. OTOH, Rosie Perez’s character and storyline didn’t work for me at all.

FYC:
    Emmy: Ego Nwodim ("SNL"), Nico Santos ("Superstore"), Lolly Adefope ("Shrill"), MJ Rodriguez ("Pose")
    BAFTA: Leila Farzad ("I Hate Suzie")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    orangestraw
    Topics:

I don’t think SNL is going to do nearly as well in supporting as it’s being predicted to. Despite the election year, this has not been a popular season, and I think there’s a good chance that that’s reflected in the nominations. Of course it’ll fill up guest due to lack of contenders, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just McKinnon/Thompson/Yang in supporting. However, I do agree that Yang has a very strong shot at the win.

I’m fairly confident in Actor we’ll just see Thompson and Yang, but in Supporting Actress I think we could see up to three. They’ve managed two each year the past few years with far more competition, and in 2017 they got 3 out of 6 slots.

What I’m more intrigued about is who’ll join Kate (there’s no way she misses). Maya’s placement is unconfirmed, Cecily and Aidy both missed the first stretch of the season, but Cecily will have visibility promoting Schmigadoon! at the time of voting, while Aidy has had a lot of airtime since being back. Chloe I think did have a lot of buzz last summer, but I’m not sure she’s sustained it on the show. Whereas Ego’s subtly pushed her way to front and centre this last half of the season, a dependable player whose star is on the rise and is getting more memorable sketches. I really think she’s being underestimated.

FYC:
    Emmy: Ego Nwodim ("SNL"), Nico Santos ("Superstore"), Lolly Adefope ("Shrill"), MJ Rodriguez ("Pose")
    BAFTA: Leila Farzad ("I Hate Suzie")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Michelle Gomez feels the least likely of the supporting women from The Flight Attendant to me. Don’t get me wrong I thought she was excellent (not so much in the beginning but she really delivered with a capital D in the end!) but I think the fact that her role only increases towards the end of the show is a big hurdle for her.

I think Mamet and possibly even Perez are ahead of her.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Whereas Ego’s subtly pushed her way to front and centre this last half of the season, a dependable player whose star is on the rise and is getting more memorable sketches. I really think she’s being underestimated.

This might just biases talking (lol) but Nwodim would fall in the line recent the surprise SNL nominee, at least going by the prediction centre.

2017 – Vanessa Bayer (N/A), Leslie Jones (9th, 80/1)
    2018 – Aidy Bryant (10th, 100/1)
    2020 – Cecily Strong (26th, 100/1)

Emmys FYC: Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien”, Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie”, Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live”, Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn”

“Dickinson”, “P-Valley”, “Pose” & “Superstore” in all categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

I find Comedy in supporting roles difficult for my predictions. Because, I live in Europe. And can’t watch Saturday Night Live. But, I have Thompson highest. And Hannah Waddingham already won CC so I think she has the biggest chances.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

No men will or should be honored from the cast of The Flight Attendant.

Having said that, Michael Huisman is a good actor who has been solid in a lot of great series (Game of Thrones, The Haunting of Hill House, Orphan Black, Treme) and I wouldn’t be mad if he finally scored an Emmy nom.

T.R. Knight’s character felt like a guest actor in a drama series, so I can’t understand how anyone would think he would have a chance in Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series. Did he make any of y’all laugh or even smile once with his performance??

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

If we’re talking comedy, Michelle Gomez is the one supporting who should be nominated.
    She was the comedy of the show.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series, THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES.
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TheCineMike
    Topics:

If we’re talking comedy, Michelle Gomez is the one supporting who should be nominated.
    She was the comedy of the show.

I agree. Michelle Gomez would be an inspired choice.

https://thecinemike.wordpress.com/
    Twitter: @TheCineMike

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 166 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.