Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 6)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 502 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I don’t think Einbinder missing or getting in would have anything to do with Smart’s strength. She’s more likely to miss due to the fact that she’s a newcomer and the Academy don’t care about newcomers. If Rose Byrne missed a lot of times for Damages, Einbinder is probably missing too. If Eibinder gets in, which she absolutely deserves (More than Rosie Perez or Zosia Mamet) then it’s a sign of the show’s strength.

I didn’t mean that Smart can’t win if Hannah, isn’t nominated, but it would display the show’s strength in acting. Applegate, Tomlin, Oh all got nominated for their first season without their co star and ultimately lost. You are using Glenn Close but Damages got 2 supporting actors nominated even if Byrne wasn’t. Close wasn’t the sole nominee in acting. If Smart is indeed the sole acting nominee and Cuoco gets multiple supporting actors in with her, there is more a race than some here want to admit.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Glenn Close isn’t a good comparison at all. Her win for season 1 was under the tape system (both her wins were) and Glenn was never going to lose under that system for ‘Get Me a Lawyer’, even if she was the sole acting nominee for the show.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t think Jean Smart needs Hannah Einbinder to get nominated or Kaley Cuoco needs The Flight Attendant to do well with actors for either to win. As Luca said both carry their show. The consensus is that they are the MVPs of their shows. I agree that in some cases where there is a popular enough performance on the show that some may consider the MVP that it’s a strong sign of strength for the win competitive lead if that performance coattails (for example if Allison Janney got nominated last year, I think Hugh Jackman would have been in a much stronger position. If Krysta Rodriguez gets nominated this year for Halston, it would be a strong sign for Ewan McGregor’s chances.)

Would it put Smart in a good position for the win if Hannah Einbinder is nominated? Yes. Would Cuoco look strong if The Flight Attendant over-performs with actors? Sure. But it’s not as if either Hannah Einbinder or someone like Rosie Perez gives a performance that a significant number of people may prefer over Smart or Cuoco’s. The Morning Show had a massive over-performance in actors branch support last year getting in the likes of Mark Duplass and Martin Short yet Jennifer Aniston still lost to Zendaya, the sole nomination for Euphoria above the line. Sarah Snook was in the show with the most acting nominations of the year yet she still lost to Julia Garner. Mark Ruffalo didn’t need Kathryn Hahn to coattail for him to win.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I didn’t mean that Smart can’t win if Hannah, isn’t nominated, but it would display the show’s strength in acting. Applegate, Tomlin, Oh all got nominated for their first season without their co star and ultimately lost. You are using Glenn Close but Damages got 2 supporting actors nominated even if Byrne wasn’t. Close wasn’t the sole nominee in acting. If Smart is indeed the sole acting nominee and Cuoco gets multiple supporting actors in with her, there is more a race than some here want to admit.

Applegate was the sole nominee of the show and there was never enough passion for her win like Smart has. Sandra Oh was never going to win against Claire Foy.

Smart has not only the most acclaimed performance of the category, but also will benefit from her work in Mare of Easttown.

TFA needs more nominations because a underperformance would mean passion for a show that aired months ago fading away. Hacks is a late breaker. The voters will have one month to catch up with the show.

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Sandra Oh was never going to win against Claire Foy.

I’d argue this is a bit revisionist.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

One thing needs to stop at these forums, which is completely separating tape system and popular system. They are certanly different, but Glenn didn’t win only because she had THE submission, but also because she had THE show and THE name.

Name recognition, presence, show’s buzz… — All of these things were always important, with or without the tape system. The main change is that they are much more important now.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Killing Eve built buzz incrementally that year. The Emmys were the first major awards the show competed at, and it wasn’t in the position to win for its lead at that time. Russell (who beat Oh at TCA) and possibly even Moss were ahead of her.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

It might be, but Claire Foy won SAG (for the first and second season). She would probably win for the first season if The Handmaid’s Tale hadn’t been a phenomenon.

I’d actually argue if Oh was the runner up, considering Matthew Rhys’s victory and how The Americans got back in Series.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’d argue it’s revisionist to say Sandra Oh was never going to win against Claire Foy considering how Foy wasn’t exactly the frontrunner going into the ceremony (although I predicted her win!)

But I don’t think it’s revisionist to say Sandra Oh was an underdog for the win that year considering how well The Crown and The Handmaid’s Tale performed in nominations, the final season narratives that Foy and Russell had and the fact that Foy won SAG. And as Mafro987 said the fact Killing Eve‘s buzz was built quite gradually.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Oh’s passion was stronger than pretty much everyone in the category besides Foy (due to the aggressive final season narrative Netflix put in motion) and with her making it over Moss last year, there can be an argument about being ahead of her in 2018 aswell (Moss isn’t really someone they stan considering the numerous Mad Men losses and even the Top Of Lake s2 snub that should have been a locked nom). I’m also not sure how relevant is the TCA argument for Russell when their previous winner, Carrie Coon, got snubbed. This isn’t the thread to discuss this anyway.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

I’m also not sure how relevant is the TCA argument for Russell when their previous winner, Carrie Coon, got snubbed.

I won’t dissect the whole of your post because I don’t want to take the thread off-topic too much, but Coon was actually nominated at TCA for Fargo as well as The Leftovers. She wasn’t snubbed for the former. I’d argue that the additional Fargo support is what pushed her over the line for the TCA win ahead of Kidman.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    TAF
    Topics:

Ted Lasso is overrated, it has nothing special beside Jason’s perfermance, who deserves to win. Hacks should win Comedy Series.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

it has nothing special beside Jason’s perfermance

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Lol Claire Foy herself mentioned Sandra Oh in her Emmy speech. With making the headlines, sweeping the following awards shows, Oh was pretty much in the game to take it for S1. Her buzz in those months was simply crazy.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Lol Claire Foy herself mentioned Sandra Oh in her Emmy speech.

And how does this mean Oh was win competitive lmao? I mean Anya Taylor-Joy mentioned Cate Blanchett in her SAG speech and it’s not like Blanchett was win competitive there lol. Foy was probably just excited to be nominated alongside Oh and thinking of what to say on the spot considering how surprised she was she won.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.