Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 7)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 510 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Kaguya-hime
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

When was the last time a show went from that to multiple above the line Emmy nominations?

What We Do in the Shadows

What we do know is how long running shows, like the one’s I mentioned, have performed in the past.

I don’t think in the cases of Search Party or Cobra Kai that their past performances can be used as reasons why they won’t break in. A lot of people had no idea either of those two shows existed until they moved from TBS to HBO Max and a YouTube Premium to Netflix. Similar to how apart from its fans early on its run, hardly anyone knew of Schitt’s Creek‘s existence until it was dropped on Netflix.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

What were the signs that What We do in the Shadows and Schitt’s Creek would break in ? Because those shows weren’t high on the predictions center.

What We do in the Shadows benefited from Taika Waititi’s oscar buzz. The show was nominated for WGA after the Emmys. The show had two Emmy nominations, Cinematography and Sound Editing, which is a sign at least the above the line people were watching it, which also can be the case for Mythic Quest’s Production Design nomination.

You can make a case for Mythic Quest not breaking in before because not enough people had Apple TV+ and now people signed up to watch Ted Lasso and might have checked on Mythic Quest, which is a more Emmy friendly show than Dickinson, for example.

Recognizable cast aside, Mythic Quest has an Oscar winner in its ensemble who has already been nominated for Guest Actor two times.

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

<i>What We Do in the Shadows</i>.

At least with WWDITS, it had a WGA nomination and below the line Emmy noms. That alone is more than anything Mythic Quest or Search Party has.

don’t think in the cases of Search Party or Cobra Kai that their past performances can be used as reasons why they won’t break in. A lot of people had no idea either of those two shows existed until they moved from TBS to HBO Max and a YouTube Premium to Netflix. Similar to how apart from its fans early on its run, hardly anyone knew of Schitt’s Creek‘s existence until it was dropped on Netflix.

I disagree. Of course I’m going to look at how a shows past seasons performed at the Emmy’s when making my predictions. What else is there to go off on? And Schitt’s Creek was bigger on Netflix than both Search Party and Cobrai Kai are on HBO Max and Netflix. It also still took SC a couple years to break through at the Emmy’s after being put on Netflix (2017 to 2019), and that was with O’Hara and Levy leading the show who were both previous winners.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

THR Comedy Actress Roundtable

Kaley Cuoco
    Jean Smart
    Lena Waithe
    Aidy Bryant
    Cristin Milioti
    Holly Hunter

Interesting that both Mr Mayor actors did this. Also 2 NBC and 3 HBO Max here

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Also I don’t think Mythic Quest missing above the line as a first season show in last year’s competitive field means that it is somehow a proven fact that it will never breakthrough above the line at the Emmys. This is a much weaker field than last year’s and in this streaming landscape, a lot of the time voters and viewers tend to prioritise catching up on a show that has built up strong word of mouth or goodwill (like say Schitt’s Creek or Fleabag), watching whatever’s on Netflix or re-watching an old favourite like Friends. We saw at the winter awards how voters caught up with The Great (another first season show that missed out in series due to an initial lack of visibility but was helped by voters and viewers discovering it later on due to strong word of mouth) so it’s not implausible that we see a similar thing happen with something like Mythic Quest at the Emmys. A show that in recent weeks has been praised by the likes of Barry Jenkins and Damon Lindelof and whose writing team this season includes the likes of Emmy winner Craig Mazin.

I’m not saying it will never be recognized, or that it won’t be recognized this year. My whole argument here is that I don’t think it (or Search Party and Cobra Kai) are more likely than Girls5eva. That’s all. Do I think it could potentially get in over something like Black-ish and/or Master of None? Yeah, I think that’s possible.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It also still took SC a couple years to break through at the Emmy’s after being put on Netflix (2017 to 2019),

Each of those years were far more competitive than this year’s field is though.

it had a WGA nomination

In New Series not in Comedy Series (where it missed out for perennial writers branch snubbee The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel).

and below the line Emmy noms.

I mean getting a nomination in the juried category of cinematography and in sound editing (a category whose one hour equivalent nominated Jack Ryan and Gotham that same year) isn’t that much of a sign of strength in future Emmy prospects though.

Sure <i>What We Do in the Shadows</i> season 2 was a far stronger contender than either Mythic Quest or Search Party or Cobra Kai will likely be but this is a far weaker field than the ones it was competing in.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

I actually think Master of None is quite a safe name-check for voters. I anticipate it will perform a bit like Curb Your Enthusiasm last year and get shut out above the line but still garner a few tech nominations here and there and land a name-check comedy series nomination.

I don’t. Master of None came and went with very little buzz, and this season isn’t really the same show as the first two seasons. I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if it was just shut out, even though that’s not what I’m predicting.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

THR Comedy Actress Roundtable

Kaley Cuoco
    Jean Smart
    Lena Waithe
    Aidy Bryant
    Cristin Milioti
    Holly Hunter

Interesting that both Mr Mayor actors did this. Also 2 NBC and 3 HBO Max here

A third Comcast player since Hacks is produced by the NBCUniversal, the payola really came through this year.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Just slotted Search Party for series after the Variety survey. I don’t see Black-is returning in series, Ross was a name-check last year.

Profile picture
    katiebstate
    Topics:

What were the signs that What We do in the Shadows and Schitt’s Creek would break in ? Because those shows weren’t high on the predictions center.

I think you can make the case for Waititi for WWDITS (that, and it’s hilarious, but that’s objective). I think Schitt’s is almost entirely up to the Netflix effect, none of the four nominees did or were in anything particularly high profile or memorable during their entire run. If that’s the factor, I would be inclined to bump up Cobra Kai post YouTube and Superstore (I agree, it’s very popular on the non US Netflix).

Profile picture
    katiebstate
    Topics:

On Peacock and international voters, am I correct in their exclusive content not being (legally) available in the UK yet? It’s on a major streamer in Australia.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

The signs for both WWDITS and SC making in was TCA. I ignored TCA when SC got nominated, but I did predict WWDITS after its TCA nomination. TCA is the huge deal!

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

I think you can make the case for Waititi for WWDITS (that, and it’s hilarious, but that’s objective)

Shadows also had the Hulu boost.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

The signs for both WWDITS and SC making in was TCA. I ignored TCA when SC got nominated, but I did predict WWDITS after its TCA nomination. TCA is the huge deal!

I wonder if we’re going to get the TCA nominations before the Emmy nominations.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

I wonder if we’re going to get the TCA nominations before the Emmy nominations.

Very likely since voting already began and they announce pretty quickly after voting ends.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 510 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.