Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 7)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 510 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Kaguya-hime
  • Profile picture
    DanC
    Topics:

1. Ted Lasso (AppleTV+) – Obvious frontrunner.
    2. The Flight Attendant (HBO Max) – Obvious runner-up
    3. The Kominsky Method (Netflix) – Final season of a returning show
    4. Pen15 (Hulu) – Writers’ favorite.
    5. Hacks (HBO Max) – Acclaimed but how big will it be aside from Smart?
    6. Master of None (Netflix) – name-check
    7. Cobra Kai (Netflix) – Comedy Mandalorian
    8. Mythic Quest (AppleTV+) – Just a gut feeling. Could honestly be anything.

9. Search Party (HBO Max) – 3 HBO Max shows feels slightly excessive.
    10. Girls5Eva (Peacock) – I just don’t know about Peacock. Deserves a nom.

11. Superstore (NBC) – Schitt’s Creek 2.0?
    12. Dickinson (AppleTV+) – Big AppleTV+ show.
    13. Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist (NBC) – Cancelled but not forgotten.
    14. Emily in Paris (Netflix) – The Emmys’ self-destruct button.

Profile picture
    katiebstate
    Topics:

People seem to think there’s buzz for it. Why would it be behind stuff like Mighty Ducks, Resident Alien, Kendrick, and Love Life (I literally only have heard of 1 of those 4 shows before in Emmy conversations and none outside of that).

Mighty Ducks is about a 1000/1 chance. I’m just spun out by how many grown adults I know adored it.  I didn’t say Love Life was, I said it had more visibility where I am. Resident Alien I will stand by. There is enough data for me to think it’s being watched.

Profile picture
    katiebstate
    Topics:

t always has felt since it moved to HBO Max like the show was creeping into the conversation in some form. Part of that has been as a result of HBO’s level of campaigning for the show. Part of it has been through seeing more and more high profile people in the biz such as Emma Stone name drop it during interviews.  But also it feels like since the show dropped on HBO Max that it has very much developed a growing cult following.

I am happy to agree on that on evidence and I will add it. It just hasn’t been on my radar at all. I think (as a fellow non American) sometimes you can have  blindspots and Search Party is probably mine.  It certainly makes sense over my 1000:1 NGNG picks lol.

Profile picture
    katiebstate
    Topics:

Love Life season 1 is ineligible. It was eligible for last year’s Emmys.

hahaa I think we got it in July. Pandemic brain.  What is with some of the delayed HBO programming lately? The lack of Hacks is so weird. A friend in the UK said the same thing about something else in the UK – The Nevers I think?

We used to get everything almost immediately. I get the impression talking to friends who are not in the US most HBO branded content goes to Crave/Sky/Foxtel but they’ve lost exclusivity rights on HBOMax.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

HBO shows tend to come on air quite quickly over here. For example Mare of Easttown was simulcast with its us airing (although that kind of makes sense considering it’s an event TV show that stars one of the most well regarded and known British actors alive). Hacks hasn’t come on here yet (but I’ve been fortunate enough to see that one due to having access to HBO Max’s FYC site).

But yeah I think you’ve got the right gist when it comes to the pandemic causing a delay in the releases of some top contenders outside the US. We’d usually get The Handmaid’s Tale a week after it aired in the US but the show only started over here last week (a week after it finished airing in the US). Pose season 3 isn’t out yet and probably won’t be until later this year. I hope there isn’t much of a delay with shows like American Horror Story and Impeachment. It’s already been hard enough trying to avoid spoilers for The Handmaid’s Tale season 4 lol.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    katiebstate
    Topics:

Pose season 3 isn’t out yet and probably won’t be until later this year. I hope there isn’t much of a delay with shows like American Horror Story and Impeachment. It’s already been hard enough trying to avoid spoilers for The Handmaid’s Tale season 4 lol.

Ah lucky. I don’t have access at the moment (and we got Mare simultaneously too). I do think a lack of UK and Canadian visibility on things might be an issue, though us Aussies are probably negligible, particularly when lots of production is defaulting outside of the US too. A lot of voters are not going to default to alternate methods. Handmaids in particular is concerning (we had similar release to the US) to me because I do think it skews far more international than a lot of shows.

Profile picture
    Tjuz
    Topics:

You’re the Worst also missed

This one remains unforgivable. It should’ve at least won in series and in lead actress for Aya Cash… multiple times. Best comedy show I’ve ever seen. It never even being nominated is a true crime against humanity. Especially considering way worse stuff has gotten in… smh

null

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I believe Jane Levy is still getting nominated.

Profile picture
    katiebstate
    Topics:

I believe Jane Levy is still getting nominated.

im still so bummed about Zoey’s. If I take off my “what would the industry do” hat, I would vote for her, personally.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

This one remains unforgivable. It should’ve at least won in series and in lead actress for Aya Cash… multiple times. Best comedy show I’ve ever seen. It never even being nominated is a true crime against humanity. Especially considering way worse stuff has gotten in… smh null

I agree. You’re the Worst is such an underrated show. It deserved better.

Profile picture
    marcus_emn
    Topics:

This one remains unforgivable. It should’ve at least won in series and in lead actress for Aya Cash… multiple times. Best comedy show I’ve ever seen. It never even being nominated is a true crime against humanity. Especially considering way worse stuff has gotten in… smh null

Aya Cash gave the best performance of TV last decade wbk

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

Everyone seems to agree with the Top 5:

1. Ted Lasso
    2. The Flight Attendant
    3. Hacks
    4. The Kominsky Method
    5. PEN15

The 6th-8th slots are all up for grabs and it’s near impossible to guess what the voter taste will go for bc all of the comedy contenders are so wildly different.

My personal 6-8 would be:

6. Girls5eva
    7. Search Party
    8. Dickinson

Who I think voters might go for in 6-8:

6. Black-ish
    7. Master of None
    8. Girls5eva

I kind of hope they rebel against Master of None for being too dramatic and skip out on nominating it. I also secretly wonder if Aziz Ansari is still too “canceled” in Hollywood to score any noms.

Profile picture
    orangestraw
    Topics:

I’m really annoyed because I just did a longer version of this and was logged out, so this is the notes version of my 6-8.

6. Girls5eva – Tina Fey. Strong buzz. Renewed for S2 at the right time. Lots of guest stars.

7. Superstore – Covered the pandemic in a way that was critically well received. Final season. International eyes.

8. Search Party – more buzz than previous years, feels more visible. Lots of big name guest stars again.

Master of None feels like it came and went. Outside Naomi Ackie, feels passionless, plus as above, the Aziz situation.

That sounds like kinda dramatic Tom

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Aya Cash gave the best performance of TV last decade wbk

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Tjuz
    Topics:

Both correct and yet both were paid dust. Taste has truly left this earth.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 510 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.