Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 1)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
hopelesstar
  • Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

Succession is the new Mad Men so get ready for more Drama Series wins folks!

Well with the HBO inflation factor it already has more acting Emmys than Mad Men so there’s that.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

The first two seasons of Succession have been better than the first two seasons of Mad Men as well.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Apologies if I missed this somewhere but why is We Are Who We Are in drama? I thought it was designed/promoted as a limited series? And vice versa for I May Destroy You, which I thought was not necessarily a limited series?

WAWWA is promoted as a drama by HBO. I May Destroy You is limited based on the recent comments by HBO executives.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

The first two seasons of Succession have been better than the first two seasons of Mad Men as well.

I haven’t watched Mad Men but even if Succession is better, Mad Men has a cult status and has a legacy of starting golden age of TV. It’s too early to compare Succession to Mad Men.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Don’t forget The Sopranos folks, the show that started it all.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So CBS All Access and Showtime are in a new AppleTV+ package and CBS All Access is moving into a bundle streaming service where users can watch it and catch up on Showtime and Comedy Central content.

Looks like we’re getting another litmus test as to whether The Good Fight can get any acting nominations this year or if it ends up becoming the Drama Schitt’s Creek/The Good Place lmao.

Don’t forget The Sopranos Buffy folks, the show that started it all.

Fixed it for you!

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Well unfix it.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Don’t forget The Sopranos folks, the show that started it all.

Don’t forget The Sopranos Buffy folks, the show that started it all.

Fixed it for you!

[/quote]

Emily Naussbaum wrote about this in the New Yorker in 2014 (and her book) -?974!how she treated the both shows as the same and couldn’t understand how others didn’t.

[1999] was a year when I was not yet a professional TV critic, just a woman, standing in front of a television show, begging everyone to love it. Every week, I watched The Sopranos and Buffy the Vampire Slayer; I was an avid fan of both, convinced that [Sopranos creator] David Chase and [Buffy creator] Joss Whedon were turning television into something radical and groundbreaking, the former by deconstructing the mob genre (as well as capitalism and psychotherapy), the latter by forging a mythic, feminist-inflected meld of horror, comedy, and teen drama.

Yet only one of the shows was being written about, seemingly on a near-daily basis, by the Times. At cocktail parties, I spent a lot of time evangelizing for “Buffy,” jabbing my own finger. Mysteriously, many of my targets were resistant, even when ranted at by a woman holding a vodka gimlet.

Obviously genre bias is a large part of it but so is the underlying sexism and what we as a society consider as “worthy” and “prestige”. Just look at how Carrie Bradshaw was an anti-hero of her own HBO series that explored explicit content and story arches never before seen on TV but isn’t as reverend as the male counterpart.

Remove the sexism aspect and just focus on the genre bias, notice the core concept of The Sopranos, “how does a man with good heart / intentions that’s survive / live in corrupted material world and not lose your soul” that’s come to define the TV male anti-hero for decades to come, was the explored in Angel (whose 1st season began 7 months after Sopranos) but it’s never actually credited.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Never watched Buffy, but for sure has been completely overshadowed by Sopranos and we know why.

I’m sure it’s a great show and both should have their legacy

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Linda interesting, The Crown with the first Elizabeth

https://deadline.com/2020/10/becoming-elizabet-alicia-von-rittberg-cast-star-young-elizabeth-i-starz-series-1234603504/

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

Uzo Aduba will star in HBO’s In Treatment revival, which will begin shooting in the fall for a 2021 debut: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/uzo-aduba-to-topline-in-treatment-revival-at-hbo

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Uzo Aduba will star in HBO’s In Treatment revival, which will begin shooting in the fall for a 2021 debut: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/uzo-aduba-to-topline-in-treatment-revival-at-hbo

This woman is a living legend isn’t she?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Uzo Aduba will star in HBO’s In Treatment revival, which will begin shooting in the fall for a 2021 debut:

My sincerest condolences to Olivia Colman and Jennifer Aniston.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

My sincerest condolences to Olivia Colman and Jennifer Aniston.

Fall is almost over, what does this mean? If it’s a full drama and has not started filming yet it is unlikely that it is eligible for the ’21 Emmys. It will come out after the ’21 deadline, so Colman remains unbothered.

rubbish

Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

The format of the show will make filming easier under COVID-19 regulations. Smart move on HBO’s behalf.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.