Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 1)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
hopelesstar
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Well, we could argue that basically no one will return in time if we are heading to another lockdown, which is very probable. Then, only The Crown, Mandalorian and This is Us would be eligible – a big question on Us – depending on how many eps they can get and we’ll have a field full of new nominees everywhere.

Well, even Ratched could break in into drama series.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Well, we could argue that basically no one will return in time if we are heading to another lockdown, which is very probable. Then, only The Crown, Mandalorian and This is Us would be eligible – a big question on Us – depending on how many eps they can get and we’ll have a field full of new nominees everywhere. Well, even Ratched could break in into drama series.

Well I don’t know. It’s weird like I said some shows still seem to be filming despite an impending lockdown (for example Wales is having its worst cases ever and is in a lockdown and Sex Education is still shooting). Considering things like The Gilded Age, Succession (which probably isn’t returning anyway), Maisel (which also probably isn’t returning anyway) and Pose are shooting in New York which is in a much better state than it was at the start of the pandemic I’d say they’re ok but thing shooting in various locations in the UK (The Great) or things shooting in Vancouver, LA and maybe even Atlanta (Genius and Ozark) might be in danger.

How ironic is it that when a national lockdown is announced a high profile Emmy contending Netflix drama is released whilst everyone is at home. First Ozark and now The Crown. I’m expecting this might help The Crown do much better at the guilds than it would have.

Watch the Globes, SAG and CC go for completely virtual ceremonies and then the Oscars go semi-virtual. Fingers crossed we’re in a better situation come September and we can see Corrin and Anderson battle it out with each other in person.

Would be funny if after people arguing over how The Undoing and The Queen’s Gambit will be forgotten if they end up doing really well at next year’s Emmys as a result of another lockdown.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

How ironic is it that when a national lockdown is announced a high profile Emmy contending Netflix drama is released whilst everyone is at home. First Ozark now <i>The Crown</i>. I’m expecting this might help The Crown do much better at the guilds than it would have.

Let’s hope that history don’t repeat itself on this case, I do not need to see the crown going 1 for 18.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

But even this year the crown did win one as well didn’t it? It is the superior show anyways

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But even this year the crown did win one as well didn’t it? It is the superior show anyways

The Crown won 2.

I think considering how The Mandalorian has started on 76 on Metacritic I wouldn’t call The Crown a lock for the win (this season could very well flop with critics but I would be quite surprised) but it seems to be the frontrunner at the moment. Especially with Succession skipping eligibility and Ozark looking like it might too.

If this season gets raves (higher than season 2’s Metacritic score really) then I can see it potentially doing a full sweep (incl. S. Actress).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

For what i read I’m not sure any of the returning shows are coming back

I mean,

Better Call Saul and Killing Eve will only start production at late summer/early fall 2021 so they’re definitely out, Pose is shooting, but for what I’ve read they are really depending on the vaccine for the ball scenes, and Pose is no Pose without the bal. Succession will start shooting this following week but they take like 7-8 months with the normal procedure, imagine with the covid protocols, Ozark is probably the same thing but they don’t even have a start date yet.

I can only get behind This is Us for now because for sure they’ll get at least six episodes.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Better Call Saul and Killing Eve will only start production at late summer/early fall 2021 so they’re definitely out, Pose is shooting, but for what I’ve read they are really depending on the vaccine for the ball scenes, and Pose is no Pose without the bal. Succession will start shooting this following week but they take like 7-8 months with the normal procedure, imagine with the covid protocols, Ozark is probably the same thing but they don’t even have a start date yet.

The Handmaid’s Tale is already shooting and is set to conclude shooting in March. Unless they too shut down I think they’re safe to return with a weekly release.

Where did you read that about Pose? I haven’t seen that being said yet. I guess they could miss because of that (like you said there’s no Pose without the ball scenes) although theoretically they might use CGI.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

The Crown won 2. I think considering how The Mandalorian has started on 76 on Metacritic I wouldn’t call The Crown a lock for the win (this season could very well flop with critics but I would be quite surprised) but it seems to be the frontrunner at the moment. Especially with Succession skipping eligibility and Ozark looking like it might too. If this season gets raves (higher than season 2’s Metacritic score really) then I can see it potentially doing a full sweep (incl. S. Actress).

I will be very shocked if it has less then 80 on metacritic, this season gained some real momentum the last weeks.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

The Handmaid’s Tale is already shooting and is set to conclude shooting in March. Unless they too shut down I think they’re safe to return with a weekly release. Where did you read that about Pose? I haven’t seen that being said yet. I guess they could miss because of that (like you said there’s no Pose without the ball scenes) although theoretically they might use CGI.

“‘Things like kissing — we will likely forgo those moments,” show creator Canals said. “The place on our show where the biggest impact will be felt will be the ball scenes: Those scenes have 125 to 150 background actors. That’s tricky, because that’s such an important and critical part of our show and the narrative. We’re just, only now, having conversations of ‘Is there a world where we forgo these things?’” Hopefully not.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/features/indya-moore-pose-transgender-community-pride-1234623265/

Oh yes, forgot about Handmaid’s Tale, they are shooting for some time now hasn’t they? I think they’re safe.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Can Disney toss some cash Pose’s way and let them Irishman up the Ball scenes.

Profile picture
    Carlo
    Topics:

Did the Morning Show really resumed production October 19th?
    I think they also need several months (I think season one filmed 7 months).
    I bet it will premiere summer/fall 2021 and they will miss a Emmy cycle.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What is interesting is how we could end up with records broken this year.

For example in any normal year neither The Crown or The Mandalorian could plausibly break GoT‘s 12 Emmys record but this year they actually could whilst we could end up seeing supporting actor be Ted Lasso vs SNL (not predicting any Ted Lasso supporting actor in that category at the moment though).

I mean look at the categories The Crown might plausibly be able to win (if it does well):

1) Drama Series
    2) Drama Actress
    3) Drama S. Actor
    4) Drama S. Actress
    5) Drama Writing
    6) Drama Directing
    7) Drama G. Actor
    8) Drama Casting
    9) Cinematography
    10) Period Costumes
    11) Period/Character Hairstyling
    12) Period/Character Makeup
    13) Production Design
    14) Supporting Visual Effects
    15) Editing

And then <i>The Mandalorian </i>might plausibly be able to win the following and break the record instead (if it does well):

1) Drama Series
    2) Drama S. Actor (Esposito)
    3) Drama G. Actress (Dawson)
    4) Drama Writing
    5) Drama Directing
    6) Character Voiceover (Waititi)
    7) Cinematography
    8) Fantasy Costumes
    9) Prosthetic Makeup
    10) Music Composition
    11) Editing
    12) Production Design
    13) Sound Editing
    14) Sound Mixing
    15) Visual Effects
    16) Stunts

Profile picture
    ScottyDog
    Topics:

I think The Mandalorian would have a tough time getting back in Drama Series in a normal year, but it’s in this year. The Crown is guaranteed. I think This is Us will have a major comeback this year. They should tackle COVID pretty well without feeling exhausting for the viewer. What else do we have? The Good Doctor, Lovecraft Country, Perry Mason, Umbrella Academy, We Are Who We Are, His Dark Materials, Ratched, The Chi, WandaVision? It’s looking like either This is Us or The Crown will get their first win though, with The Mandalorian as the underdog for the win. The Diana storyline and Gillian Anderson’s performance will push The Crown though.

So…

The Crown
    This is Us
    The Mandalorian

We Are Who We Are
    Perry Mason
    Lovecraft Country
    WandaVision
    His Dark Materials
    Ratched
    The Good Doctor

Possible…
    The Handmaid’s Tale
    The Morning Show

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Maybe this is the year Sterling K. Brown finally wins again. I was arguing during summer that he could be higher than we originally thought, because he wasn’t against Ventimiglia for the first time and didn’t get dropped at SAG, and Cephas-Jones win kinda indicates that for me.

With Succession actors and possibly Bateman gone, the category is wide open. Billy Porter and Steve Carell are more than likely returning, but I doubt they are win competitive. Rhys looks like Brown’s only opponent.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Maybe this is the year Sterling K. Brown finally wins again. I was arguing during summer that he could be higher than we originally thought, because he wasn’t against Ventimiglia for the first time and didn’t get dropped at SAG, and Cephas-Jones win kinda indicates that for me. With Succession actors and possibly Bateman gone, the category is wide open. Billy Porter and Steve Carell are more than likely returning, but I doubt they are win competitive. Rhys looks like Brown’s only opponent.

For sure is Rhys vs Brown, with Majors being the underdog (if HBO doesn’t move Lovecraft to the limited series like Watchmen).

Also, it’s really weird to bet on who would win between the two of them, they’re both have recent wins, they’re both should be getting support from the winter awards, and the TV Academy seems to love them both as well.
    With might benefit Sterling is the fact that Perry Mason will be like, a 1-year old show and Us will still be pretty recent by the end of the season, but again, this didn’t stop Zendaya.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.