Home Forums TV Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 12)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 514 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Victor
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Either Jackman or Mescal should have won last year.

Oscars FYC:
    "Shiva Baby" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "Together" – in all categories especially Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "CODA" – in all categories especially Supporting Actor (Troy Kotsur)
    "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Supporting Actor (Richard E. Grant), Supporting Actress (Sarah Lancashire)
    "I'm Your Man" – International Feature
    "Summer of Soul" – Documentary Feature

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I don’t know why, honestly. Ruffalo was nominated for TCA, while Normal People flopped at the nominations. The Experts were the only ones who had him in #1. It was pretty obvious he was winning. It’s the “he’s playing two characters” card.

Well, Normal People certainly got more nominations than the one-time nominated I Know This Much Is True. There was absolutely a path for Mescal. I also think most us just assumed IKTMIT had not been widely seen, but we were wrong — it turns out voters just didn’t care about the show outside of Ruffalo’s performance.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

It was pretty obvious he was winning. It’s the “he’s playing two characters” card.

Didn’t work for McGregor a few years ago with a stronger show. I did well last year but Ruffalo was one of the few I got wrong.

I definitely agree about Dunst though. It’s criminal how under-appreciated Fargo‘s performances were with the academy (although I still would have given Paulson the Emmy for OJ Simpson that year).

Dunst was actually 4th in that category for me. Huffman and Taylor were amazing in American Crime.

For Your Consideration:

I May Destroy You in all categories
    (especially Michaela Coel in Lead Actress and Writing)

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Taylor and Huffman were so, so, so good. Also, Connor Jessup was robbed.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Well, Normal People certainly got more nominations than the one-time nominated I Know This Much Is True. There was absolutely a path for Mescal. I also think most us just assumed IKTMIT had not been widely seen, but we were wrong — it turns out voters just didn’t care about the show outside of Ruffalo’s performance.

Well, you weren’t wrong. I doubt people watched that crap. They just looked at Ruffalo playing two characters in the trailer and looked at the contenders and voted for him.

Sorry, but I just couldn’t picture anyone other than Ruffalo winning. He had the star power, the performance (although it wasn’t undeniable) and the overdue narrative. I wasn’t predicting here at the time, but at other places it was pretty obvious he was winning.
    If even the critics, who loved Normal People, didn’t go for Mescal, why would the Academy vote for him instead of three time Oscar nominee and MCU star Mark Ruffalo ?

About McGregor ^, The Night Of was stronger than Normal People and he missed TCA, unlike Ruffalo.
    Fargo was never good at winning in acting. For what I recall it was the only recent show to win Series without an acting win. Noah Hawley was the narrative.

Anyway, I won’t derail the thread

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I think I predicted Mescal but i knew Ruffalo would win, i changed it last minute because of those articles about young actors -.-
    Anyway, he deserved.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Not sure. Clarkson lost, Scanlen was snubbed. And Smart lost to King herself in 2016. Fargo never really did well with the actors. I think King would have defeated these two as well.

Sharp Objects premiered a year before the noms came out though. If it had premiered in the Spring, it definitely would’ve performed much better than it did, considering how weak Limited was that year. Also, Scanlen was unknown at that time and her performance was quite subdued for the most part.
    Regarding Fargo, it’s true that It never performed that well with actors, but the show never competed in a weak year. All four of its seasons, were competing in stacked years. And King beat Smart for a show that did quite well overall and was watched. Dunst was extremely acclaimed and it’s probably the most popular performance of the show alongside Thornton. She probably would’ve won had Paulson not been competing that year.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Taylor and Huffman were so, so, so good. Also, Connor Jessup was robbed.

Unpopular opinion but Pollari > Jessup.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

She probably would’ve won had Paulson not been competing that year.

I’m tempted to agree but I cannot shake off the idea of Kerry Washington (GG,CC,SAG nominee + Emmy Outstanding TV Movie) winning for Confirmation. Huffman and Taylor would probably have split votes.
    So I think it would not be a cakewalk for Dunst but a fierce battle between the two. Washington may win due to her rising overdue narrative.

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

This is big time revisionist history, Ruffalo had literally no buzz last year lol

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Unpopular opinion but Pollari > Jessup.

Pollari was phenomenal. Both should have been nominated. They and Denis O’Hare for AHS: Hotel were robbed.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Pollari was phenomenal. Both should have been nominated. They and Denis O’Hare for AHS: Hotel were robbed.

TEA the nominees should’ve been:

Sterling K. Brown
    Denis O’Hare
    Connor Jessup
    Joey Pollari
    Bokeem Woodbine
    Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

This is big time revisionist history, Ruffalo had literally no buzz last year lol

Then why did he win ? LOL A TCA nomination in Individual Achievement in Drama isn’t buzz ?

I will repeat again that his win isn’t related to the performance. It was related to his name ALONE.

PERIOD.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m guilty here but can we move on from this conversation. It’s not like Ruffalo or King are nominated in this year’s drama field.

Oscars FYC:
    "Shiva Baby" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "Together" – in all categories especially Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "CODA" – in all categories especially Supporting Actor (Troy Kotsur)
    "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Supporting Actor (Richard E. Grant), Supporting Actress (Sarah Lancashire)
    "I'm Your Man" – International Feature
    "Summer of Soul" – Documentary Feature

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

So anyone else predicting MJ Rodriquez with me?

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.