Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 2)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 264 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
57 mins ago
( +8 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
The Person Fo..
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I love how people on here are making assumptions about what will happen with The Crown at the Emmys in 10 months time when it looks like only The Morning Show out of the big acting contenders is returning and as if snubbed performers haven’t gotten in and won the year after they were snubbed (*coughs* Dan Levy, Annie Murphy, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Jodie Comer, Jeremy Strong *coughs*).

It’s also kind of ironic how those people are the same ones who made the same assumptions about Succession last year and claimed that Ozark was sweeping. No wonder they’re annoyed at the idea of The Crown being the first Netflix show to sweep.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I think we’ll have to wait it out, Succession had a lot of late buzz, The Crowns is at peak right now, so who knows.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think we’ll have to wait it out, Succession had a lot of late buzz, The Crowns is at peak right now, so who knows.

Succession didn’t have late buzz. It just got seen by more people during the lockdown.

The Crown is having a similar surge in viewership now to when Succession did in between its Globe win and the closing of Emmy voting. People like Nicole Kidman, Annette Mahendru (who praised Anderson and Corrin) and Mariah Carey are all saying they’re starting the show from the beginning and are praising the cast. People are watching simply because Gillian Anderson is in it and because Diana has finally arrived so these arguments that “because O’Connor was snubbed last time he will be snubbed again” are flawed. O’Connor could very well miss but not because he missed last time.

You don’t have to listen to me but I am also one of the only people commenting in this thread who predicted that Succession would explode with actors (albeit I didn’t see them being able to get more than one S.Actor and G. Actress nominee or a G. Actor nominee). The people who are dubbing The Crown as a non-factor are the same people who were saying the same things about Succession last year (some of whom thought that not even future Emmy winners Cherry Jones and Jeremy Strong would get nominated).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I googled to see whether Ozark had started shooting yet (I wanted to know what was taking them so long because I’m still waiting for answers for that cliffhanger) and it’s fair to say that it’s not returning on time. I wonder if it has started production on November 9th though because Julia Garner is still shooting Inventing Anna.

The first block of filming scheduled will take place over 38 days, 30 of which will be in 40 different locations. Travelling from one location to the other is going to prove complicated in these tough Covid times. For example, heading from Georgia to Chicago, crew will need to isolate for 14 days which makes it difficult for continuation.

https://www.kftv.com/news/2020/10/05/netflixs-ozark-series-4-to-film-from-november

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

I love how people on here are making assumptions about what will happen with The Crown at the Emmys in 10 months time when it looks like only The Morning Show out of the big acting contenders is returning and as if snubbed performers haven’t gotten in and won the year after they were snubbed (*coughs* Dan Levy, Annie Murphy, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Jodie Comer, Jeremy Strong *coughs*). It’s also kind of ironic how those people are the same ones who made the same assumptions about Succession last year and claimed that Ozark was sweeping. No wonder they’re annoyed at the idea of The Crown being the first Netflix show to sweep.

You could’ve just said me?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

You could’ve just said me?

I’m not referring to you only hence why I used the term people (which I’m not sure if you know is a plural but then again that word may not exist in American English).

Anyway let’s just leave this here. I’m getting a migraine.

I do apologise if my flippant comment sounded like a personal attack. It wasn’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Interesting that This is Us has been performing quite well on Amazon recently (I assume it must be because it’s an Amazon exclusive in a lot of countries right now).

I wonder if we might see a big jump at the Emmys.

https://flixpatrol.com/top10/amazon/united-states/2020/full#type2

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

For now to me

1. The Crown
    2. The Mandalorian
    3. The Morning Show
    4. Lovecraft Country
    5. This is Us

The Crown is for sure favorite right now, but we can’t underestimate Mandalorian again and The Morning Show could very well be the Ozark s3 of this cycle (apart for the 1/18 thing)
    HBO could make a resurrection out of Lovecraft on spring like they did with Watchmen and campaign the hell out of it, although it can move to Limited Series as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Updated status of television Dramas thus far (Ozark out, Loki in):

Confirmed to Be Making the Cycle :

– All Creatures Great and Small (PBS)
    – The Alienist (TNT)
    – Away (Netflix)
    – Big Sky (ABC)
    – The Boys (Amazon)
    – Bridgerton (Netflix)
    – The Capture (Peacock)
    – The Crown (Netflix)
    – Evil (CBS)
    – For All Mankind (AppleTV+)
    – The Flight Attendant (HBO Max)
    – Gangs of London (AMC)
    – The Good Doctor (ABC)
    – His Dark Materials (HBO)
    – Industry (HBO)
    – Loki (Disney+)
    – Lovecraft Country (HBO)
    – The Mandalorian (Disney+)
    – The Nevers (HBO)
    – Noughts + Crosses (Peacock)
    – The Old Man (FX)
    – Perry Mason (HBO)
    – P-Valley (Starz)
    – Raised by Wolves (HBO Max)
    – Ratched (Netflix)
    – The Right Stuff (Disney+)
    – Roadkill (PBS)
    – Selena : The Series (Netflix)
    – Servant (AppleTV+)
    – Snowpiercer (TNT)
    – The Spanish Princess (Starz)
    – This is Us (NBC)
    – The Umbrella Academy (Netflix)
    – Utopia (Amazon)
    – We Are Who We Are (HBO)
    – Yellowstone (Paramount)

Filming/Set to Shortly Start Filming :

– The Good Fight (CBS All Access) (set to film in January, two months before the previous pre Covid season started shooting)
    – The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu) (shooting until February with post production done on two episodes)
    – The Morning Show (AppleTV+) (two episodes and two weeks of filming in the can with producers writing the pandemic into the story)
    – Pose (FX) (started shooting in October, Spring premiere eyed)

In Danger of Missing :

– The Gilded Age (HBO) (finishes shooting in March with extra post production time added on for VFX and because of virtual post production)
    – Succession (HBO) (shooting starts in November but the shows pre Covid shooting schedule was set to begin in April and end in October)

Missing this Cycle :

– Better Call Saul (AMC)
    – Big Little Lies (HBO)
    – Black Mirror (Netflix)
    – Bodyguard (Netflix)
    – Dexter (Showtime)
    – Euphoria (HBO)
    – Killing Eve (BBC America)
    – Mindhunter (Netflix)
    – The Outsider (HBO)
    – Ozark (Netflix)
    – Stranger Things (Netflix)
    – Westworld (HBO)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Gillian Anderson = Louis Gossett Jr.
    Helena Bonham Carter = Jovan Adepo
    Emma Corrin = Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

This is what I’m thinking in terms of awards trajectory of The Crown ladies. Obviously if Corrin wins the Globe this messes my theory up completely.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I just don’t get the Margareth choice, they really fucked up for HBC, the woman has literally one ep and it’s goi g supporting because of extra appearances
    In ‘Favourites’ she has one scene waking up with the helicopter, in ’48:1′ she has one scene reading the paper.

Probably because of contract but damn.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Thanks for the update wolfali. You just made a mistake with The Morning Show, it started shooting again 2 weeks or so ago.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Thanks for the update wolfali. You just made a mistake with The Morning Show, it started shooting again 2 weeks or so ago.

Ah I had it in twice (in both the shooting section and the in danger of missing section) lol. Thanks for letting me know about the mistake!

I think The Morning Show is 95% likely to return on time. Unless they decide to deliberately skip this season (which I hope they don’t because with Ozark not retuning 2022 already looks like a bloodbath).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s really hard to compare them, because there both so different performances

They’re both so distinctive as well. If I didn’t know it was Gillian Anderson from beforehand I wouldn’t have realised it was her. That’s how transformative her performance was. She’s truly one of the greatest actors of her generation.

And with Corrin I mean it really felt like you were watching the real Princess Diana. Her command over the screen was impeccable.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

For now to me 1. The Crown 2. The Mandalorian 3. The Morning Show 4. Lovecraft Country 5. This is Us The Crown is for sure favorite right now, but we can’t underestimate Mandalorian again and The Morning Show could very well be the Ozark s3 of this cycle (apart for the 1/18 thing) HBO could make a resurrection out of Lovecraft on spring like they did with Watchmen and campaign the hell out of it, although it can move to Limited Series as well.

What should be worth baring in mind is the trend in Drama Series. Apart from when The Handmaid’s Tale won in 2017 (which could be attributed to political circumstances although I know there are ardent THT stans on here so please don’t kill me bus it was my pick for Drama that year) all the shows that have won Drama Series since 2013 have been shows that have had dysfunctional families (and arguably melodramatic sub plots) either at the centre of them or as a key focus (Breaking BadGame of Thrones, Succession). Interestingly enough with the last two shows they managed to win Series after not managing to be crowned the bride only after the incumbent winner ended.

I think we could very well see The Crown do something similar this time. This season is already being compared with Succession s2 online (I find the comparisons flawed because they’re two very different programmes but I think the comparisons are because of <i>The Balmoral Test </i>being a bit like The Crown‘s take on Hunting). Not only is Succession (it’s main competitor awards wise) looking like it’s unlikely to come on air before the May 31st deadline despite having started filming but we also know that Ozark (a show also with a dysfunctional family at its centre although a completely different kind) is not returning and The Gilded Age (which would arguably have been the biggest threat to The Crown awards wise considering how The Crown s1 itself came and benefitted from the absence of Downton Abbey) looks like it’s not returning either.

That’s not to say The Crown s4 wouldn’t have been win competitive had it competed with those shows (after all it has had a massive jump in audience buzz and critical acclaim like Succession and Ozark did) but with those shows out of the way this year it could very well benefit from similar votes. It also looks like it will be the only British produced show in contention this year. That could help it a lot like the show itself was helped when it was the only British produced show in contention in 2018 and it exploded or when Killing Eve exploded as the British blocs favourite show in 2019. With both Killing Eve and Succession out of the way it might end up taking its British bloc votes too (what helps The Crown this year is how big an online hit this season has been which the previous three weren’t).

Anyway what I’m trying to say is that barring any change in political circumstances I feel like either The Crown wins Drama Series or we have the deadline extended and Succession/Ozark/The Gilded Age sneak in. I don’t see a path for The Mandalorian or The Morning Show considering this recent trend. This is Us seems almost impossible because it will have to be a writing and directing nominated show first (although I lowkey do see a scenario where it suddenly wins Drama Series, Actress, Actor and S. Actress for season 6 I’m not kidding).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 264 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.