Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 2)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Allan Veríss..
  • Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

You can accuse me of “The Crown stanning” all you want but I mean excluding The Handmaid’s Tale when was the last time a show that didn’t have a dysfunctional family drama as a subplot or as its core win? Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, The Sopranos and Succession all had that. The Mandalorian doesn’t.

not accusing you of Crown stanning, nor am I gonna argue The Mandalorian is series-win competitive (directing though…) but I will say the family-drama thing you’re preaching is a really a big stretch. The link connecting Sopranos to Mad Men to Game of Thrones is hardly the “aspect of family”, even if it is an aspect. If you wanna talk about the male anti-hero’s dominance in golden age of TV as evidenced through Tony Soprano, Walter White, Don Draper, and now Logan/Kendall Roy then sure, that’s a way easier path to follow, but maybe you’re choosing to ignore that because it looks good for The Mandalorian.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

not accusing you of Crown stanning, nor am I gonna argue The Mandalorian is series-win competitive (directing though…) but I will say the family-drama thing you’re preaching is a really a big stretch. The link connecting Sopranos to Mad Men to Game of Thrones is hardly the “aspect of family”, even if it is an aspect. If you wanna talk about the male anti-hero’s dominance in golden age of TV as evidenced through Tony Soprano, Walter White, Don Draper, and now Logan/Kendall Roy then sure, that’s a way easier path to follow, but maybe you’re choosing to ignore that because it looks good for The Mandalorian.

Just to say I don’t mind if The Mandalorian wins. It’s just a stupid award after all and I’ve never seen the show.

But I have to ask how is it a big stretch? As I’ve said we’ve seen how much (not only on the Drama side) the Academy loves the story of a dysfunctional family. Look at This is Us doing very well at the Emmys with actors. Even in an ultra-competitive year it’s still able to get acting nominations and win acting awards. Look at <i>Modern Family</i>, The Marvelous Mrs. MaiselFleabag and Schitt’s Creek. Then you have the fact that in 2018 we saw how both The Crown and The Americans performed exceptionally well and almost grabbed the Series prize. Both shows where the “aspect of family” is quite present.

The aspect of family is also quite present on four time winner Game of Thrones. More so than the aspect of the “male anti-hero”.

The dominance of the male anti-hero may play a factor and it is why I’m considering Matthew Rhys to win for Perry Mason (which others aren’t) but it isn’t the only factor.

Also with regards to directing I’m glad people finally agree with me that The Mandalorian is getting nominated. I’ve been saying this for months. It won’t win if they submit 5 directors again though.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

The Mandalorian could win folks, not saying it will, but it very well could.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The thing that also makes me wary about The Mandalorian winning is does the show have support from actors? People complain about The Crown‘s acting support and people complained this year about Succession‘s but outside of the guest categories I can’t see it getting any nominations.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

The thing that also makes me wary about The Mandalorian winning is does the show have support from actors? People complain about The Crown‘s acting support and people complained this year about Succession‘s but outside of the guest categories I can’t see it getting any nominations.

I agree with this it definitely needs to get more above the line nominations before it has a chance of winning.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Actress race so far (a satirical take):

Olivia Colman: Haha with the stronger season and weaker field this award is MINE.

The Gilded Age starts production

Christine Baranski: I’m about to end this British woman’s whole career.

The Gilded Age exits this awards season

Olivia Colman: The Crown is the 26th most popular show internationally on Netflix this year and it’s only been a few weeks since we came on air.

The Flight Attendant starts

Kaley Cuoco: Bitch please. You’re sweet.

Profile picture
    Kay
    Topics:

I’m going to laugh if Succession returns on time and steals all the buzz away from The Crown sorry.

I’m manifesting this to happen 🙂

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

With regards to supporting actress I feel like either Anderson and Corrin over-come the vote-split and one of them wins or we’re getting a surprise winner.

I think that if they do vote-split the winner will come from a supporting actress from a HBO show (I think only one HBO supporting actress is getting nominated this year but my thoughts on this may change depending on how Lovecraft and Perry Mason do at the winter awards).

The question for me is which one of these ladies is it because they’re the only ones (and I guess you could add Juliet Rylance too) who I can see getting in at this moment in time as they’re either the MVP of their shows or they have the buzz.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

The first teaser to Euphoria is out

https://twitter.com/euphoriaHBO/status/1333501238416175109?s=20

I posted here because I have ZERO idea on where it’ll compete of it will at all.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

The first teaser to Euphoria is out https://twitter.com/euphoriaHBO/status/1333501238416175109?s=20 I posted here because I have ZERO idea on where it’ll compete of it will at all.

It’s just a special episode to keep the fans satisfied since it’ll be a while for S2. I don’t think HBO is going to push this for awards.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think HBO are going to push His Dark Materials a lot more this year. They have a less hectic drama slate, Industry seems to be a n1curr, it has been performing really well on HBO Max and HBO Go recently (even overtaking The Undoing on HBO Go for the past few days internationally) and the casting of Scott and Waller-Bridge has given the show a bit more buzz.

Also apart from <i>Perry Mason </i>and Lovecraft Country what else does HBO have? We Are Who We Are seems a bit too small and indie that I don’t even think that will happen at the Globes.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Industry is dead, could benefit for the whole drop in Max, we’ll see
    We Are Who We Are is an Euphoria wannabe, could get some nods for Guadantino just for name check

I think Perry Mason will be the Euphoria of next year, one above the line nom and possibly win.
    That leaves Lovecraft Country, which I think it will be their 1st priority and His Dark Materials which seems to be very popular at the moment.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’M ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING…

Profile picture
    TAF
    Topics:

The first teaser to Euphoria is out

https://twitter.com/euphoriaHBO/status/1333501238416175109?s=20

I posted here because I have ZERO idea on where it’ll compete of it will at all.

Miniseries?

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

We Are Who We Are seems a bit too small and indie that I don’t even think that will happen at the Globes.

It’s quasi Italian and it’s led star is a Hollywood legacy. Glazer maybe get’s a Globe nom (and Critics Choice depending on their number of slots).

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.