Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 4)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 507 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

So I am five eps into Bridgerton — which I am enjoying — and my guess is that this gets shut out above the line. Emmy voters are snobs; no way they are gonna go for this.

The Handmaid’s could get anywhere from one to four supporting actresses in, and it’s hilarious how I have no clue how many or even which ones.

I guess Samira Wiley, lol.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So I am five eps into Bridgerton — which I am enjoying — and my guess is that this gets shut out above the line. Emmy voters are snobs; no way they are gonna go for this.

Could be.

Although. I find Bridgerton incredibly undeserving I think on the contrary that Emmy voters will go hard for this. It already got 2 SAG nods (in spite of being a new show), made AFI and might make PGA. My argument is that its pedigree as a Shondaland creation, its headlines for how it has diversified an otherwise largely “white” genre and its status as a British period drama give it an added sense of prestige and snob appeal. Even though it’s largely a guilty pleasure.

I guess the closest comparison is Downton Abbey (which was also loved by SAG) although that of course was more prestigious (and good in every sense of the word).

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

There is also always the possibility that some actress from The Handmaid’s Tale will appear in few episodes and be submitted as a Guest. Even more considering that Season 4 will only have 10 episodes.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Yeah, you def have a point…

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Omg Wolfali please stop doing Downton dirty by comparing Bridgerton to it

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

I’m also watching Bridgerton and it is fine. If it gets nominated it’s gonna be because of lack of contenders, cause in a normal year this was gonna receive the Empire/The Morning Show treatment.

Lovecraft Country is way more prestige and already hit everywhere it needed to hit. There’s no doubt that it’s ahead of Bridgerton for the Drama Series category. Also, Lovecraft Country is way more likely to get Directing and Writing nominations for the Pilot, while Bridgerton can easily be snubbed in both (it’s almost certanly not getting any writing nominations).

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

At one point I actually thought I was watching an SNL skit of Downton

6th Place WGA 2021
    12th Place VES 2021
    61st Place BAFTA nominations 2021

Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I truly hope Michael K. Williams gets nominated and win for Lovecraft Country.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Bridgerton is going to be top 4.

SAG Ensemble+AFI+Mega hit+ supported by craft branches=Series nom.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I truly hope Michael K. Williams gets nominated and win for Lovecraft Country.

I had mixed feelings about that show, but MKW’s performance was brilliant. I’m rooting for him.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

As I implied in my original post they aren’t comparable on a qualitative level (I consider the first season of Downton for example to be a masterpiece whilst I consider the first season of Bridgerton to be a cringe fest, the performances of Dockery, Froggatt and Smith to be acting masterclasses, the ones of Page and Dynevor to be Razzie worthy).

However I think they both are comparable awards wise. They are both English period dramas created by well respected creatives (even if one show may be much higher on a qualitative and prestige level than the other). And I think in this weak year that will help Bridgerton. Hell we’ve even seen some of the same people in the industry who praised Downton, praise Bridgerton.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I really feel like <i>Lovecraft Country </i>will be the new True Blood  awards wise (the summer HBO fantasy show that gets nominated for series but nothing else above the line).

It even has similar precursors/guild nominations to True Blood:

– Both have Globe nominations except Lovecraft didn’t receive one in acting.

– Both made SAG ensemble but didn’t get an individual actor nominated.

– Both made AFI.

– Both got one nomination at WGA but not for Drama Series (Lovecraft got New Series whilst True Blood got episodic drama).

– Both did moderately well with the guilds.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Bridgerton is a top 5 contender, easily.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

So I got to the “I burn for you” part. I —

I had a great laugh. Shonda’s other produced shows, especially HTGAWM, are better than this one IMO.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I wonder where that user who said O’Connor and Anderson will flop and lose awards to Sterling K. Brown and Helena Bonham Carter this season are…

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 507 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.