Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 4)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 270 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 hour ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I’m so bored, might as well do as you all are doing. (The Morning Show, Pose, Succession and a few other are off till I have certain)

1. The Crown – After what it did at the winter awards it’s wishful thinking the thought of it not winning, also, the buzz was and kinda still is through the roof (mostly because of Diana tho).

2. The Mandalorian – Please, an acclaimed second season who won’t stop being mentioned everywhere is doomed to be The Crown biggest threat, last year 7 wins only help them.

3. Bridgerton – Huge ensemble, did make into SAG with few months of airing and it has good reception, if it would be a prestige show and not a trash-y one it could actually win.

4. Lovecraft Country – Seems like the Stranger Things of the year, a lot of tech support and the big category nod, although I’m still hopeful on that Jurnee nod, and will probably get Michael K Williams as well.

5. In Treatment – Shining new season (arguments could be made that is a new show), big COVID tackling, the great Uzo Aduba and it has writing bait all over it.

6. This is Us – Barren empty field, it’s hard to get back into series, but at this year everything is possible, they might just wanna pick the show they loved back again. Helps that Sterling K. Brown keeps getting attention even 5 years in and that the show is also tackling COVID and BLM so beautifully done.

7. The Handmaid’s Tale – Well, it’s such coincidence that this and This is Us peaked at the same year at the Emmys and now they are both hanging by a threat IMO, its still a great show with a huge amount of impact, but last year’s drop makes me question if there’s still passion for this show, obviously S3 was not as good as the first two, so if quality went to go back up and it has the buzz, I’m moving it up.

8. The Boys – At this point is just wishful thinking for me, i doubt we will see 3 superhero/sci-fi shows (Mandalorian, LC and The Boys), but the show is huge, did show writing support and it has an acclaimed season, so I’m keeping it here for now.

9. Loki – Big Marvel show, seems to be a lot different like WandaVision was defined, and it has Disney behind it, the only reason I’m rulling it out it’s again, so much Hero stuff already.

10. Perry Mason – Matthew Rhys is in, it could be a surprise nod because all of the acting ensemble (didn’t got into SAG tho, so I’m not betting on it), was ok received and had a fair amount of viewers. Probably won’t be HBO priority because they have Lovecraft Country

11. The Mosquito Coast – The show is Ozark/BB all over again, and in a year without Ozark, if it’s good it will have a shot. Helps that it’s a Justin Theroux show, the same from The Leftovers, a show that was quite underrated by the academy and they know it

I did probably forget something, but that’s it and thank you for reading.

Oh, The Nevers is dead, in no way the Emmys will want anything to do with that with the growing accusations on Whedon and Industry is a non factor since it has zero buzz.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Nevers is this year’s Run.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jvcruzeiro
    Topics:

I wish Lauren Ambrose had a chance to sneak in Drama Actress. She’s been killing it (literally) in Servant since Season 1.

The show also deserves recognition in Production Design and Sound categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

5. In Treatment – Shining new season (arguments could be made that is a new show), big COVID tackling, the great Uzo Aduba and it has writing bait all over it.

FYI, the show was never nominated in series.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ClairesCrown
    Topics:

I think Olivia being overdue might tip the odds in her favour at the EMMYs, or if she is the one who leaves the globes without the award. I think they’ll take all the focus for their category though and Emma has set a new standard for portraying Diana

FYC OSCARS : THE FATHER IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP SUPP ACTRESS - OLIVIA COLMAN, ACTOR - ANTHONY HOPKINS), VANESSA KIRBY FOR PIECES OF A WOMAN

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

FYI, the show was never nominated in series.

That is a valid point but the show’s two seasons that were nominated at the Emmys book competed when Drama Series was 5 (and 7 in the case of the second season) slots. It might have an easier path with 8 slots and non existent competition (for the nomination).

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Colman being an primarily a TV actress and winning an Oscar before an Emmy will never not be funny.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Colman being an primarily a TV actress and winning an Oscar before an Emmy will never not be funny.

Same with Lesley Manville getting nominated for an Oscar before she’s actually been nominated for an Emmy or won a television BAFTA (although she’s coming when The Crown season 5 arrives).

It’s like there is a sense of awards irony with the cast of The Crown. Claire Foy not having a BAFTA yet in spite of being more established (at the time) as an actress than Vanessa Kirby will never not be funny. Maybe they’ll cast Keeley Hawes and David Tennant for the fifth season as Cherie and Tony Blair lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ClairesCrown
    Topics:

David & Keeley casted as the Blairs would be genius, the crown never misses in casting I hope they consider it. It’s also quite funny how Claire has probably come closer to an Oscar nomination than a BAFTA tv win. I’ve always thought BAFTA tv tends to stray away from British talent if the emmys & golden globes recognise it, there’s absolutely no other explanation for fleabag’s season 2 snub over “Stath let’s flats”

FYC OSCARS : THE FATHER IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP SUPP ACTRESS - OLIVIA COLMAN, ACTOR - ANTHONY HOPKINS), VANESSA KIRBY FOR PIECES OF A WOMAN

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yes! I am quite eager to see who they cast as Blair. Especially considering how well Michael Sheen did with his performance in The Queen.

By the way have you seen It’s a Sin and Des yet? They both have Keeley and David’s career best performances in them! If you’re in the US It’s a Sin should be on HBO Max and is on Channel 4 in the UK whilst Des is on ITV Hub.

With regards to BAFTA TV I honestly don’t know how to explain Fleabag‘s under-performance? Maybe Stath Lets Flats had a good set of tapes? I have a similar argument to the one that forwardswill had when we were discussing this on the film side that BAFTA leans away from shows that are audience friendly but lack much prestige (i.e. The Night ManagerBodyguard, <i>Doctor Who</i>). It’s just a coincidence that they all were hits in the US because Killing Eve and <i>Chernobyl </i>both were hits but they set the record for most BAFTA nominations and both swept/near swept.

Although the fact Fleabag got almost ignored for season 2 and The Crown has only won one above the line BAFTA is weird. Perhaps the reason the latter hasn’t been doing so well is that it’s never really had a showy set of tapes. It makes sense when arguing why the one cast member who had an undeniable tape won. Perhaps that will change this year because of how flashy this season is and how it’s grounded in memorability and it actually sweeps BAFTA lol (although I don’t see Emma winning that BAFTA but we’ll see).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ClairesCrown
    Topics:

I have seen It’s a sin & it was incredible. How Keeley carries her character down those hospital hallways is unforgettable, she was also perfect as Patricia Neil in the new sky original To, Olivia despite the fact that film was severely lacking in other places. I haven’t seen Des I’ll have to add it to my watchlist.

I have to agree I don’t think Emma will take the BAFTA this year, Olivia probably has the greatest chance to get the crown an award but with how last year went I’m never too certain.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Emma will take the Emmy (unless… Uzo) but I see neither Olivia or Emma winning the TV BAFTA because of how they combine drama and limited categories and because of the reliance of the tape system. I think it will either go to Michaela Coel (whose show could sweep), Billie Piper (who like Benedict Cumberbatch when he won for Patrick Melrose, has more or less the baitiest material one could wish for in each episode of her show) or even Daisy Edgar-Jones.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Des was a Sundance TV original in the US so it should be on a streamer / available-to-rent somewhere.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ClairesCrown
    Topics:

I agree, I may destroy you is similar to other shows which they have given the award to, especially Fleabag season 1 a London based BBC three 6 episode series which won it for both seasons. I see the golden globe snub only helping Michaela’s case at the EMMYs & BAFTAs too, especially considering Daisy Edgar-Jones got the nomination for a performance with less buzz & acclaim around it than Coel.

Imelda Staunton will probably change the lack of BAFTAs for the leading roles in the crown,  although Olivia is fully deserving of it herself too & I seriously thought the season 3 episode “<i>Aberfan” </i>would’ve secured Olivia’s BAFTA last year and it didn’t so I can’t see that changing with Emma.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Imelda might even outperform Claire dare I say. She’s an incredibly underrated actor and I can’t wait for her to get out of this Harry Potter decline and have her talent recognised by her peers and lots of job offers like how Olivia Colman and Gillian Anderson surged in their careers (or in Gillian’s case resurged) or how Emma Corrin, Claire Foy, Vanessa Kirby and Josh O’Connor are in demand right now.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 270 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.