Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 4)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 507 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I mean obviously it won’t end up like Westworld lol. It’s still going to get tonnes of nominations.

I guess the scepticism puck05 and I have is that it could end up being like The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Mad Men (the later season) where whilst voters are still able to recognise the high quality of the show but feel fatigued by it doing nothing new.

I hope I’m wrong but anyway this is kind of the wrong thread to talk about it (sorry I know it’s my fault).

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What I realised is that regardless of what happens after Colman and Corrin in nominations in Actress (I think Aduba is a lock unless In Treatment flops and that Moss and Moore are quite likely) is that the last slot is even more open than it was last year. The winter awards have only told us that Colman and Corrin are locks in Actress.

Jurnee Smollett is in a likely Drama Series nominee and her show did get SAG ensemble but she hasn’t popped up at either SAG or the Globes individually and only got in at CC. She is a rising star and considered by viewers to have delivered one of the standout performances of her show but her support seems to be paper thin.

Sarah Paulson is beloved and in a hit that got in at the Golden Globes thrice and we know actors are watching but what happened at SAG? Is her show too divisive to get her in like how The Politician was too divisive to get Ben Platt in? Ryan Murphy almost always gets actors nominated from his shows (same with David E. Kelley) so that does help her. Although that could also mean that the acclaimed performances of Cynthia Nixon and Sophie Okonedo are the only ones that make the cut (like Bette Midler last year).

Phoebe Dynevor’s show did get into SAG ensemble but she’s not the breakout star of it or the female cast member who has attracted the most buzz for it. Her show seems like it would have to be really strong for her to get in (which is possible).

Melissa George could coattail to Justin Theroux but how strong will The Mosquito Coast be? Might she end up being the Laura Linney in <i>Ozark </i>season 1 to Theroux’s Bateman?

Billie Piper is a critics darling and we are seeing more and more high profile people in the industry in the US talk about how they’re fans of the show (Chelsea Peretti, Lena Dunham, Seth Myers, George Clooney) but why did she miss CC when her show did fairly well on the aggregate for what it was? She could get a boost from the buzz of BAFTA nominations and she could have support from the British bloc of the Academy (her show was a hit both with audiences and the industry in the UK) but will it be enough even in an open field like this? She reminds me a bit of Phoebe Waller-Bridge in Fleabag season 1 in the sense that her performance is one that critics have praised and her show is almost like a cult favourite that was a hit in the UK that slowly rises in word of mouth but it isn’t until the second season that she actually stands a chance of getting nominated when more people have caught up on her show.

I wonder if there will be a new contender who comes in and gets that 6th slot because otherwise it will be an interesting race. I wonder if we’ll get another Zendaya type nomination here. FX should release Pose this season because there is and opportunity for that historic MJ Rodriguez nomination to happen.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Moore

Moore as in Julianne?
    I think her show is set for summer premiere, they announced on TCA day I think.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

Moore as in Julianne? I think her show is set for summer premiere, they announced on TCA day I think.

Maybe Mandy Moore.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Moore as in Julianne? I think her show is set for summer premiere, they announced on TCA day I think.

Mandy Moore from This is Us.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Colman
    Corrin
    Moss (first bump from the people who missed last year)
    Paulson (GG nom+I expect her to campaign+actors love Ryan Murphy)
    Aduba or Smollett (as the HBO representative)

Then the 6th could be Moore, someone from The Nevers (this is probably tragic but), Melissa George (eh..), MJ Rodriguez (if Pose returns in time and she has a push), Dynevor (I don’t see it personally). I don’t really know who else.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Colman Corrin Moss (first bump from the people who missed last year) Paulson (GG nom+I expect her to campaign+actors love Ryan Murphy) Aduba or Smollett (as the HBO representative)

Yeah we have the same lineup and I think Moss is probably in at this point.

omeone from The Nevers (this is probably tragic but)

The Nevers feels dead. I don’t think anyone is going to vote for a show created by Joss Whedon anywhere (apart from maybe tech). I anticipate critics will not take lightly towards it either which doesn’t help for a genre show like it.

I don’t even think it will be top 5 in HBO’s priorities.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Oh, Mandy Moore, thanks.
    I think she could miss but she is getting good material oh the last few eps.

I think a field of Colman, Corrin, Aduba, Paulson, Moore and Moss seems likely.

Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

At this moment, my lineup would be:

1. Olivia Colman
    2. Emma Corrin
    3. Elisabeth Moss
    4. Mandy Moore
    5. Jurnee Smollett
    6. Sarah Paulson

Also: Uzo Aduba or Phoebe Dynevor.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

My Lineup:

1.  Uzo Aduba
    2. Olivia Colman
    3. Emma Corrin
    4. Phoebe Dynevor
    5. Elisabeth Moss
    6. Jurnee Smollett

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

1. Emma Corrin
    2. Olivia Colman
    3. Uzo Aduba
    4. Elisabeth Moss
    5. Sarah Paulson
    6. Jurnee Smollett

Profile picture
    starklinson
    Topics:

– Trailer of Shadow and Bone: https://youtube.com/watch?v=UHJYYd_RnJc

it seems Netflix are promoting this lot. they started back in December and the show comes out in April, which is unusual for Netflix. and of course, it’s based on a popular book franchise with a passionate fandom – the Instagram page already has over 150k followers.

potentially interesting – the rating is apparently TV-MA. i assume that’s more to do with violence/dark storylines than anything else, but perhaps it suggests an attempt to reach beyond YA audiences.

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

I need something good to watch after that SNL Downton Abbey skit Netflix show.

Is Handmaids Tale a good watch?

6th Place WGA 2021
    12th Place VES 2021
    61st Place BAFTA nominations 2021

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Whilst a lot of these shows are obviously skipping eligibility because of delays from the pandemic I wonder if some of them are skipping eligibility because they are worried about competing with The Crown. Just like some of the big hitters in 2019 faced production delays but some of them intentionally skipped the Emmy season even though they were ready to launch.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I need something good to watch after that SNL Downton Abbey skit Netflix show.

Is Handmaids Tale a good watch?

Yes, it’s a very great show

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 507 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.