Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 5)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 400 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
9 hours ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
braydenfitzsi..
hopelesstar
  • Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

I’ve noticed 4 of the top 6 in lead actor predictions won’t be back for next years.

Ironically 4/6 of last year’s nominees aren’t eligible this year (only Brown & Porter).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

3 of the top 8 in Drama Series won’t be eligible next year but that’s nothing compared to 5 of last year’s nominees being ineligible this year.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

Next year’s Emmy will be a bloodbath:

Returning series:

• Better Call Saul (final season)
    • Dexter (final season?)
    • Euphoria
    • Killing Eve (final season)
    • The Morning Show
    • Ozark (first half of the final season)
    • Stranger Things
    • Succession
    • This is Us

New candidates:

• The Gilded Age
    • House of the Dragon
    • Loki
    • The Lord of the Rings
    • The Time Traveler’s Wife
    • The Wheel of Time

Likely to return:

• The Handmaid’s Tale (assuming Season 5 production starts in the second half of the year).

Unlikely to return:

• The Crown Season 5 starts production in July, but I suppose they will stick to the tradition and should only be released in November 2022.
    • The Mandalorian Season 3 begins production in August. Season 2 was produced between October 2019 and March 2020, and even then it only debuted in October 2020.
    • Westworld: no news so far about when Season 4 production will begin.
    • The Last of Us will start production in July 2021 and will only end in June 2022, so it’s out.

Did I forget someone?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Next year’s Emmy will be a bloodbath: Returning series:

• Better Call Saul (final season)
    • Dexter (final season?)
    • Euphoria
    • Killing Eve (final season)
    • The Morning Show
    • Ozark (first half of the final season)
    • Stranger Things
    • Succession
    • This is Us

New candidates:

• The Gilded Age
    • House of the Dragon
    • Loki
    • The Lord of the Rings
    • The Time Traveler’s Wife
    • The Wheel of Time

Likely to return:

• The Handmaid’s Tale (assuming Season 5 production starts in the second half of the year).

Unlikely to return:

• The Crown Season 5 starts production in July, but I suppose they will stick to the tradition and should only be released in November 2022.
    • The Mandalorian Season 3 begins production in August. Season 2 was produced between October 2019 and March 2020, and even then it only debuted in October 2020.
    • Westworld: no news so far about when Season 4 production will begin.
    • The Last of Us will start production in July 2021 and will only end in June 2022, so it’s out.

Did I forget someone?

AppleTV’s Slow Horses (starring Gary Oldman), Severance (starring Patricia Arquette) and Suspicion (starring Uma Thurman) as well as FX’s The Old Man (starring Jeff Bridges) and <i>Y : The Last Man</i>.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I’m also predicting Alexis Bledel, partly because of the 100/1 odds, but also because, if she has the material, why wouldn’t she get nominated?

If she has material, eh?

I won’t be removing Bledel for them, unless she moves to guest of course.

Not predicting any of them, but I rank Bledel last of the three.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

It’s difficult because Wiley and Bledel have never competed in the same category before, and with the latter only being promoted to supporting once, we really don’t have a sense of how she previously stacked up against Dowd and Strahovski.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If she has material, eh?

Well I mean it’s not like Samira Wiley had material last year. And she was in one of the most competitive drama supporting actress fields in recent times.

So if the academy aren’t watching and they’re checking off the performers they like from the show then would it really be that implausible for a performer who has made it into competitive fields for the three prior seasons whilst her co-stars were dropped like dead flies for season three to make it back into a weaker field? Just like Wiley she also has the strategic advantage of her name being on the first pages of the ballot for some voters.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Westworld: no news so far about when Season 4 production will begin.

Thandiwe Newton said she will be back on set for Maeve very soon, I guess second semester.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I forgot you’ve actually seen the new season lol. Maybe I should be knocking Bledel out after all…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Would you have Dowd ahead of Strahovski?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Betting against Giancarlo Esposito always makes me lose so i won’t take him out from my predictions.

The fact that the buzz from The Mandalorian never dies and he keeps getting nominated for every project makes him a safe bet for me.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I actually have slotted in Pascal in Actor as well. I feel like The Mandalorian will be the Killing Eve of this year and do well with actors in spite of under-performing at SAG (KE missed for Comer, The Mandalorian missed ensemble).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I still haven’t finished The Mandalorian season 2, so I can’t really speak to Pascal’s performance in that season, but he doesn’t really feel comparable to Comer. Jodie gave one of the most acclaimed, popular, and buzzed performances of any genre the year she was nominated for the first time. Pedro Pascal is a well-liked guy, but not even the fans are talking about his performance in The Mandalorian, especially when you literally cannot even see his face the majority of the time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I mean it’s not like Samira Wiley had material last year.

She had some in hindsight. It is also going to get harder to get name-checked to nominations the longer that the series continues and the further that we are removed from Bledel’s one supporting nomination and one guest win. We just saw Jane Lynch fail to follow-up a guest win for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel with a supporting nomination for a series that still got twenty nominations.

Would you have Dowd ahead of Strahovski?

That is a tough one. Dowd was definitely the early favourite for voters in the series, but it seems that they know that they awarded her and are fine moving on. Strahovski replaced her at both Critics Choice and the Golden Globes, but that all groups dropped her immediately after finding her suggests that she might be one of those contenders who can get in if everything is aligned/peaking, like January Jones in Mad Men. Will predict Dowd in guest of course if she ends up there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Will predict Dowd in guest of course if she ends up there.

Are you hinting Dowd could be guest eligible based on what you have seen of the season so far? That would be interesting…

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 400 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.