Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 5)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 504 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
hopelesstar
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I doubt Euphoria happens in writing after the Malcolm And Marie fiasco

Profile picture
    Madson Melo
    Topics:

In Treatment is airing 4 half hour episodes a week (two on Sunday and two on Monday) and the hanging eligibility cut off point is June 17th. That would mean it would have aired 16 eligible episodes with 8 of those left “hanging”.

It should be fine for this year’s eligibility.

But in this scenario they would be able to submit the last 8 episodes for this year’s Emmy cycle too?

I mean, wrong haha

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I doubt Euphoria happens in writing after the Malcolm And Marie fiasco

Well I mean it got in for episodic drama at WGA. I know it’s a juried award(?) but still.

Out of interest what are you predicting in Drama Writing?

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I’m dropping In Treatment from series and it’s supporting actors as well
    24 episodes, nobody is watching all that to vote for it besides Aduba.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Well I mean it got in for episodic drama at WGA. I know it’s a juried award(?) but still. Out of interest what are you predicting in Drama Writing?

I didn’t really think about it… I just don’t think Euphoria will be something they will consider.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I still have the supporting actors in but I think I’m going to drop Joel Kinnaman. His role seems quite thankless from the trailer and the summary HBO released.

I think Antony Ramos has potential to be a strong contender. The trailer suggests his performance to be particularly showy and he’ll have In the Heights out during voting.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I also don’t think Euphoria is getting anything this year
    Those specials will be just that, specials.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But as I’ve said before are they going to be credited as “specials”? I assume they’ll be on the ballot as “Euphoria“. I don’t think voters are going to think “this was a pandemic special, I am not going to vote for it”.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I think In Treatment will do the same as the first series. Lead + Supporting Actor (I don’t know who), but not in Series.

I think Perry Mason still has a chance in Series. It had a good run at the guilds (ADG, MUHS and ASC) and I don’t know if the SAG snub is something so important considering that they hate Matthew Rhys (he was never nominated and The Americans only got one Ensemble nomination).

Still think The Boys has a lot to overcome. I think it’s too niche and obscene for regular voters.

If Disney moves F&WS to Series (nothing indicates that they will) then I’d predict that to get the 8th spot, with Carl Lumbly, Don Cheadle and maybe Emily VanCamp as contenders in Guest Acting.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I agree about Perry Mason. I can see it end up like Stranger Things last year and get in on the virtue that’s a familiar name with some prestige that has tech support and can be easily checked off in Series by voters.

I’ve seen someone mention Joseph Fiennes’ nomination at SAG as a strength for him but I think what’s worth pointing out is the context. Fiennes is a film actor (I mean he’s a BAFTA film nominee and he played the titular role in a famous Best Picture winner!) and he was nominated at SAG during The Handmaid’s Tale‘s awards peak and when he was the big male push of the show. It’s a possibility I guess that he gets in this time round but he doesn’t have any of the things he had last time he got nominated or when he made SAG going for him this time round.

Profile picture
    TVLUVAH
    Topics:

“Perry Mason” has a great chance at a Drama Series nom… Matthew Rhys is a lock for a lead actor nomination and it will get a bunch of craft noms: cinematography, music, costumes, makeup/hair, production design, etc… They are doing an FYC event for Emmy members in two weeks as well as mounting a good campaign overall. So, I’d argue it will make it…. And never count out John Lithgow for a Supporting nom too.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Rhys is not a lock…

In other news…

The Nevers has gotten off to a great start for HBO. Sunday night’s premiere of the Victorian science fiction limited drama series drew just over 1.4 million viewers across linear telecasts and digital, including the best start for a new HBO Original on HBO Max, according to the premium cabler. The debut episode surpassed viewership for premieres of recent HBO dramas including Lovecraft Countryand The Undoing, and viewership is expected to grow via additional telecasts and viewing across platforms, HBO said

Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

limited drama series

What is this term?

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

maybe Emily VanCamp as contenders in Guest Acting.

Coming for that overdue Brothers & Sisters and Revenge nom.

I think Antony Ramos has potential to be a strong contender. The trailer suggests his performance to be particularly showy and he’ll have In the Heights out during voting.

And could benefit from the potential leftover Hamilton buzz that’s lowkey expected for Miranda in His Dark Materials.

Just got some interesting info for the Euphoria specials. They are eligible for directing, writing and crafts in the drama categories (no acting or series). This is similar to what happened to Handmaid’s Tale. I will remove it from the movie/limited categories.

I wonder why this rule “exists”:

“Once a show is established as a series, if additional shortened seasons are added (fewer than six episodes), it would still be considered a series, unless it was limited to one or two episodes (which would categorize it as a movie and a limited or anthology series respectively)”.

Between Euphoria, I Hate Suzie and The Flight Attendant, HBO really said “**** it, we’re playing musical chairs genre placement this year”

Would Domingo & Weedman be Guest eligible then (a la Whitford & Jones)?

But as I’ve said before are they going to be credited as “specials”? I assume they’ll be on the ballot as “Euphoria“. I don’t think voters are going to think “this was a pandemic special, I am not going to vote for it”.

If anything I think the industry would respond kindly it to being filmed in a pandemic, a sense of “oh wow, they’re of the few that successful adjusted to the pandemic”. The reception of them were positive, unlike Malcolm & Marie.

Still think The Boys has a lot to overcome. I think it’s too niche and obscene for regular voters.

It did get into the main WGA category (decided by a popular vote), and correct me if I’m wrong but the last show(s) that were later Emmy eligible to do this but missed were Mindhunter (both seasons) and Friday Night Lights S2 (the Writers Strike affected season).

And those two misses can be explained easily, with Mindhunter being what, Netflix’s 5th priority at best both seasons and that season of FNL being considered a dud quality wise because of the strike. The Boys will likely be Amazon’s #1 in drama so what have the Mindhunter problem. Right now it’s really easy for it to be just a Series & Writing nominee a la Bodyguard, where it’s in the 7-8 total vote range in both categories.

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Jennifer C. Holmes in “This Is Us” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

<span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>Het deed het in de hoofdcategorie WGA in een populaire stemming, corrigeer me als ik het mis heb, maar de laatste shows die later Emmy in aanmerking kwamen om dit te doen, maar gemist waren, waren </span></span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>Mindhunter (beide</span></span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”> seizoenen) en </span></span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>Friday Night Lights</span></span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”> S2 (het door Writers Strike getroffen seizoen ).</span></span> <span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>En die twee missers kunnen worden verklaard, waarbij </span></span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>Mindhunter</span></span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”> op zijn best de 5e prioriteit van Netflix is ​​en dat </span></span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>FNL-</span></span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”> seizoen vanwege de staking als een blindganger wordt beschouwd. </span></span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>The Boys</span></span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”> zullen waarschijnlijk de nummer 1 van Amazon zijn in drama, dus wat is het probleem, het zou gewoon een genomineerde voor Series & Writing a la </span></span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>Bodyguard kunnen zijn</span></span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”> , waar het in beide categorieën in het totaal van 7-8 stemmen zit.</span></span>

Ik hoop dat Antony Starr nog wel een nominatie krijgt. Ik denk niet winnen. Maar, het was wel mijn favoriet vorig jaar.

Top 6.

1. Josh O’Connor – The Crown

2. Billy Porter – Pose

3. Matthew Rhys – Perry Mason

4. Rege-Jean Pege – Bridgerton

5. Jonathan Majors – Lovecraft Country

6. Anthony Starr – The Boys

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.