Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 6)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 362 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 hours ago
( +8 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
hopelesstar
  • Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I honestly believe that Pose just doesn’t appeal to a wide range of people. Its supporters are passionate, but it’s not something everyone watches or is willing to watch, unfortunately.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

MJ Rodriguez is campaigning

“I’m huge on representation and deserved notoriety, and this season I’m fighting for that,” Rodriguez declares. “I think it’s time.” […] She acknowledges the platform that comes with one of those golden statuettes and its impact on others, like her Chilean fan or the many trans actors who are fighting for a seat at the table. It’s the kind of recognition with the power “to influence a generation that is beyond me. That’s the recognition I want,” she explains, “because, once I receive that recognition, then the legacy [of Pose] will carry on. That’s what this whole show, and this work, is really about. It’s legacy work.” […] When it comes to voting bodies like the Television Academy and Hollywood Foreign Press Association, Rodriguez says she’s under no delusions about their selection process. “This can be on the record because I want them to know this,” she makes clear. “I know exactly what they’re thinking right now. I know they don’t see me as a woman. I know that. They don’t have to tell me. They’ve made it very apparent, but my job is to show them how much of a woman I am through the work that I’m doing.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Just watched the first two episodes of I Hate Suzie and the person from HBO Max who decided to submit this as a Drama should be sentenced to jail. Its first episodes are funnier than anything in The Flight Attendant combined. Also, Billie Piper is THAT good. Absolutely incredible. And this was only the first two episodes. Excited to watch the rest.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

I Hate Suzie is definitely a drama. But so is The Flight Attendant.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I think I Hate Suzie is a flat out comedy, while The Flight Attendant is a dramedy, pending way more on the drama side.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" as Leading Actor in a Drama Series
    Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird" as Leading Actor in a Limited Series, THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES.
    Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" as Leading and Supporting actress in Limited Series
    Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" as Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
    MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" as Leading Actress in a Drama Series.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

I honestly don’t understand how anyone can watch the first episode of the show and not see how it clearly prioritises trauma over comedy. There are a few funny lines but that’s not the story. It’s not Fleabag. But hey that’s why we’re all made different I guess.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Current predix.

Not sure if we’ll get eight nominees in some categories so I’ve put the eighth contender in parentheses.

DRAMA SERIES:
    Bridgerton
    ***The Crown
    The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
    The Handmaid’s Tale
    Lovecraft Country
    The Mandalorian
    Pose
    This Is Us

ACTOR:
    Sterling K. Brown in This Is Us
    Jonathan Majors in Lovecraft Country
    ***Josh O’Connor in The Crown
    Regé-Jean Page in Bridgerton
    Billy Porter in Pose
    Milo Ventimiglia in This Is Us

ACTRESS:
    Uzo Aduba in In Treatment
    Olivia Colman in The Crown
    ***Emma Corrin in The Crown
    Sarah Paulson in Ratched
    Mj Rodriguez in Pose
    Jurnee Smollett in Lovecraft Country

SUPPORTING ACTOR:
    Jonathan Bailey in Bridgerton
    Daniel Brühl in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
    Giancarlo Esposito in The Mandalorian
    Tobias Menzies in The Crown
    Anthony Ramos in In Treatment
    Wyatt Russell in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
    ***Michael K. Williams in Lovecraft Country
    (Chris Sullivan in This Is Us)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
    ***Gillian Anderson in The Crown
    Helena Bonham Carter in The Crown
    Aunjanue Ellis in Lovecraft Country
    Emerald Fennell in The Crown
    Wunmi Mosaku in Lovecraft Country
    Cynthia Nixon in Ratched
    Samira Wiley in The Handmaid’s Tale
    (Nicola Coughlan in Bridgerton)

WRITING:
    The Boys
    ***The Crown
    Lovecraft Country
    The Mandalorian
    The Mandalorian
    The Mandalorian
    Pose

DIRECTING:
    Bridgerton
    Bridgerton
    ***The Crown
    The Crown
    The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
    The Mandalorian
    The Mandalorian
    (The Mandalorian)

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

I honestly believe that Pose just doesn’t appeal to a wide range of people. Its supporters are passionate, but it’s not something everyone watches or is willing to watch, unfortunately.

I agree with this. I don’t see Pose magically scoring a bunch of new nominations for its final season and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was left out again in Drama Series. I will not be holding my breath to see if MJ will be nominated, because unfortunately it’s unlikely to happen.

Billy Porter is the only sure-thing nomination, but no matter how great he is this season, I don’t see him winning again. His performance feels like the type that the Academy would award only once and then considered justified as already being honored no matter how great it continues to be (not unlike say Elisabeth Moss in The Handmaid’s Tale).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Clement
    Topics:

The Flight attendant should be reclassified as drama, it isn’t even remotely a comedy series, submitting it there Is clear category fraud. I watched the entire show, loved it and not once did I laugh. Also if it is indeed reclassified as a drama series then Kaley Cuoco is simply done, the nomination will be her victory.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

WRITING:

The Boys

***The Crown

Lovecraft Country

The Mandalorian

The Mandalorian

The Mandalorian

Pose

Which episodes for writing?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

With regards to the I Hate Suzie genre discussion I think when it comes to “the dramedy” we’re all going to fall on different sides of the spectrum. I consider The Flight Attendant to be a drama for example.

I guess what I like about I Hate Suzie is that it’s a combination of both? It’s not neccessarily like a conventional dramedy in the sense that it constantly switches between the comedic and the dramatic with every flick of a page but what I liked about the show’s writing was its employment of multiple genres to depict each stage of this woman’s grief. The first three episodes to me are satirical but then the finale is quite sombre and heartfelt?

But anyway that’s how I felt. I don’t mind it being in either comedy or drama although Piper would probably have had far stronger chances at landing an acting nomination in comedy than in drama.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Which episodes for writing?

We know The Crown is submitting “War.” For The Mandalorian, “The Jedi” and “The Believer” along with whatever Favreau chooses. I’m assuming the premiere for Lovecraft Country and the finales of The Boys and Pose.

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Mandalorian can only submit three episodes. The Boys submitted three last year so I assumed Amazon would do the same this year although they can theoretically submit up to six.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kay
    Topics:

I hate Suzie is an extremely boring show and it’s not funny at all. Couldn’t get past episode 2

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I hate Suzie is an extremely boring show and it’s not funny at all. Couldn’t get past episode 2

That shoe shop scene in episode 7 though…

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 362 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.