Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 6)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Victor
  • Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

Probably not but would be great if we were – a really unique, ambitious show that is far better than the majority of the contenders being thrown around in this weak year.

Soon it will be Jupiter’s Legacy that will be in the 8 drama series…

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I just started watching Penny Dreadful the other day and the fact that The Falcon and the Winter Soldier could have more series nominations than it because of the erosion of genre bias is quite revolting lol.

Also where is Eva Green’s Emmy?

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Per Deadline:

“EXCLUSIVE UPDATE: SambaTV clocked 1M U.S. households tuning into the first week of The Handmaid’s Tale season 4 premiere. That far exceeds the season 3 finale which drew 109K U.S. households over the same period according to Samba.”

This is amazing.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I want to say that HBO would not do that, but my faith has been shaken by them submitting Hannah Einbinder in supporting.

Oh dear is it a Rose Byrne/Glenn Close situation?

I long for the day the Emmys decide to put restrictions in eligibility in the supporting categories.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Pretty much. Jean Smart is dominant for the first half of the pilot, but Hannah Einbinder is more the main lead after that.

Have we had any category rejections yet? Each of the shows that could have been rejected from comedy and drama (e.g. The Flight Attendant, I Hate Suzie, Resident Alien) all haven’t been so far? Has the academy become more lax in its decisions when it comes to petitioning in that regard or am I just getting ahead of myself here?

I feel like the only thing that I have heard about is a documentary short score being deemed ineligible.  Euphoria was rejected for limited/movie.  Doctor Who might be rejected as such too; have not gotten AMC Networks’ submissions yet.  I wonder if Black Narcissus tried to go movie and was forced to limited.  The Twilight Zone is in limited now after going drama, but they might have tried to go limited originally, so I am mentioning it because that might have been a reversal of a rejection.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I wonder if Black Narcissus tried to go movie and was forced to limited.

FX had labelled it in their publicity as a limited series so I guess they might have just submitted it there and aired each instalment in one night because it was crap and not with any awards prospects in mind?

I never thought I’d say this but if Doctor Who is deemed ineligible I am probably going to have start predicting Wendy Williams : The Movie

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

7. Jonathan Bailey – I have him in for now but I’m not as confident as others are that he’s making it in. He feels somewhat like the Andrew Scott/Tom Pelphrey of Bridgerton (and I’m not given a comparative reflection on the performance given when I’m saying this).

I think Andrew Scott clearly would have made it in an 8-nominee field (he just got really unlucky with how stacked the category was that year). Still not sure how Pelphery missed though so that’s probably a good comparison.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Andrew Scott clearly would have made it in an 8-nominee field (he just got really unlucky with how stacked the category was that year). Still not sure how Pelphery missed though so that’s probably a good comparison.

Oh I agree. He probably was 7th considering how he essentially made everywhere else after the Emmys (the BAFTA snub was explainable although he probably would have made it in if they implemented their increase of slots last year instead of this).

I guess what I meant was more that I just have this weird feeling that his chances might be overestimated (even though it’s a weak field). Maybe it’s because of the character he plays? Idk.

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

Oh I agree. He probably was 7th considering how he essentially made everywhere else after the Emmys (the BAFTA snub was explainable although he probably would have made it in if they implemented their increase of slots last year instead of this). I guess what I meant was more that I just have this weird feeling that his chances might be overestimated (even though it’s a weak field). Maybe it’s because of the character he plays? Idk.

Makes sense, though like you I definitely would still predict him.

Honestly, the tv BAFTAs make no sense anymore. Emma Corrin, Gillian Anderson, and Olivia Colman all missing for The Crown this year there was inexplicable. I don’t think Andrew Scott’s miss there meant anything, and I honestly think he would have won the Emmy if he had been nominated.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Honestly, the tv BAFTAs make no sense anymore. Emma Corrin, Gillian Anderson, and Olivia Colman all missing for The Crown this year there was inexplicable.

They do to an extent.

Whilst the actors branch vote for a long-list of around 8 performances, both the acting categories and the series categories are juried in the final stage of nominations and wins. Colman, Corrin and Anderson probably did make it into this unseen long-list of 8 but they simply missed out due to baitier performances (it wouldn’t actually surprise me if Colman didn’t even get her performance seen by the jury because some of the performances nominated in that category were from massive industry hits). Emma Corrin’s snub feels somewhat shocking at first glance but Michaela Coel, Jodie Comer, Daisy Edgar-Jones, Billie Piper, Hayley Squires and Letitia Wright all delivered performances that are baitier under the final round of juried voting in the nominations stage. It is weird that Wright was nominated in lead for a supporting performance though.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Could we be underestimating Raised by Wolves? It seems to be really popular, HBO Max are campaigning for it, it could land some tech nods (and some of its craftspeople are Academy Award nominees) and it has Ridley Scott’s name behind it. I am not predicting it for anything above the line but I wonder if it’s closer to a series nod than we think considering how much the tech categories seem to be able to put shows across the finishing line here.

How stacked are the Directing and Writing categories ? Those are the only places I can see the show sneaking in above the line. It’s like The Leftovers meets Prometheus, and I can’t see the voters going for it.

The last episode had a cyborg giving birth to a giant flying monster snake lol.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Whether we see any passion picks in writing will depend on how many episodes The Mandalorian and The Boys submit. If the latter submits one or two episodes then even if the writers branch goes all out for both shows (Mando can submit 3 max) then there will be one slot free that won’t go either of those two shows or The Crown.

It shall be interesting to see what slips in if that ends up being the case. I don’t have any confidence in For All Mankind but it does have an acclaimed season finale. Pose has a sentimentality factor. I Hate Suzie is auteur driven.

All I feel confident predicting is that it won’t be BridgertonThe Handmaid’s Tale or The Falcon and the Winter Soldier and it probably won’t be In Treatment or Perry Mason.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I think In Treatment is very much in play for a writing nomination. It is very writer-ly and is a probable series contender which neither IHS or FAM are. It might not be much but it did win the WGA New Series award so there’s some favourable history there as well. And it used to miss in a time where there were 5 slots instead of the current 7, with heavy competition (see Mad Men occupying 4/5 slots once) so those snubs are forgivable in my mind. Being HBO’s biggest contender here helps too as Lovecraft is DOA.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Speaking of In Treatment.

HBO have also set up an Instagram page with character focused teasers for the three patients.

Aduba also has been doing some promotion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrEEv56vRKo

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

Do you think a Jonathan Banks moment could happen in supporting roles?

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.