Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 6)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Victor
  • Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Sandra Oh is the only performer in history to sweep for a performance and then not win an Emmy (I would include Patricia Arquette in this but she ended up winning that same year for a different performance). Coincidence huh?

The trifecta winter TV awards as we know them today only have existed since 2016, however.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I’m not sure that I agree that Sandra hasn’t won because she’s from Asian descent. All of her losses make sense as a matter of fact. Katherine Heigl had *such* a baity submission when she won.

Sandra Oh was literally the first asian woman to be nominated in lead ever.

I liked Katherine Heigl and Jodie Comer’s portrayals but saying Sandra Oh didn’t win just because they had baitier submission than her is ignoring how difficult it is for asian performers to be recognized.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

I liked Katherine Heigl and Jodie Comer’s portrayals but saying Sandra Oh didn’t win just because they had baitier submission than her is ignoring how difficult it is for asian performers to be recognized.

But I’m not talking about the difficultness of her getting projects, hence nominations. I’m talking about her Emmy losses specifically.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Tossed Mandy Moore back into my lineup because if the field is going to be complete madness, my predictions might as well be too.

Emmys FYC: Maya Erskine in PEN15, Paapa Essiedu in I May Destroy You, Keeley Hawes in It's a Sin, Carl Lumbly in TFATWS, Cristin Milioti in Made for Love, Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, Billie Piper in I Hate Suzie, Hailee Steinfeld in Dickinson, William Zabka in Cobra Kai

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

NBC/Disney should just go bold and move both Milo and Mandy in supporting I think they would be in and it wouldn’t even be fraud

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I have Milo in, but it feels weird.

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

I’m not confident in This is Us returning at all they just don’t seem to care about the show anymore outside of Brown and Jones.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I have Ventimiglia but I’m not confident in Moore. SAG isn’t the be all and end all it used to be which is why I think Moore is probably no lower than 8th but I’m very sceptical predicting This is Us to over-perform massively when it couldn’t sneak back into ensemble at SAG.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

The trifecta winter TV awards as we know them today only have existed since 2016, however.

And the large majority of sweeps (14/16 to be exact) have come after that so I think the point initially made still stands.

It’s not like Comer was undeniably strong like Michelle Williams either, considering she lost to three different people at the winter awards after her Emmy win. So her beating her own co-star who swept the winter awards in an arguably more competitive field does raise eyebrows. And lets not solely blame Oh’s material or the merit of her performance for her losses, because if that was actually the problem here, people wouldn’t be always complaining about the Emmy winners.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

largely at fault is that promising white woman director/writer who amped up the material to benefit one of her own.

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

‘SEAL Team’ & ‘Clarice’ To Move From CBS To Paramount+’: https://deadline.com/2021/05/seal-team-clarice-move-cbs-paramount-plus-season-5-season-2-network-sendoff-david-boreanaz-1234754114/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Obviously, none of these series has a chance at awards, but the news of these series moving from CBS to Paramount+ is interesting. We may have more of that in the future.

FYC Emmys: Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist: Comedy Series, Comedy Actress (Jane Levy); Cobra Kai: Comedy Series; Dickinson: Comedy Actress (Hailee Steinfeld); The Good Doctor: Drama Actor (Freddie Highmore), Drama Supporting Actress (Paige Spara); His Dark Materials: Drama Supporting Actress (Ruth Wilson); Lovecraft Country: Drama Supporting Actress (Jamie Chung); WandaVision: Limited Series, Actress (Elizabeth Olsen), Actor (Paul Bettany), Supporting Actress (Kathryn Hahn).

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

And the large majority of sweeps (14/16 to be exact) have come after that so I think the point initially made still stands.

It’s not like Comer was undeniably strong like Michelle Williams either, considering she lost to three different people at the winter awards after her Emmy win. So her beating her own co-star who swept the winter awards in an arguably more competitive field does raise eyebrows. And lets not solely blame Oh’s material or the merit of her performance for her losses, because if that was actually the problem here, people wouldn’t be always complaining about the Emmy winners.

Lost Globes to Colman
    SAG to Anniston
    Who took CC?

For Your Emmy Consideration:
    Matthew Rhys for "Perry Mason" | Ethan Hawke for "The Good Lord Bird", THE GOOD LORD BIRD in ALL CATEGORIES | Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn for "Wandavision" | Tobias Menzies for "The Crown" | MJ Rodriguez for "Pose" | Jane Levy for "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist"

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Lost Globes to Colman SAG to Anniston Who took CC?

Regina King

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Who took CC?

Regina King for Watchmen (when a 2nd season was still assumed).

That entire lineup was just a chef’s kiss

CCDrama19

Emmys FYC | Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien” | Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie” | Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live” | Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn” | “Dickinson” | “P-Valley” | “Pose” | “Superstore”

Profile picture
    keybored
    Topics:
    • And the large majority of sweeps (14/16 to be exact) have come after that so I think the point initially made still stands. It’s not like Comer was undeniably strong like Michelle Williams either, considering she lost to three different people at the winter awards after her Emmy win. So her beating her own co-star who swept the winter awards in an arguably more competitive field does raise eyebrows. And lets not solely blame Oh’s material or the merit of her performance for her losses, because if that was actually the problem here, people wouldn’t be always complaining about the Emmy winners.

Sandra lost Emmy for first season, which arguably had the strongest writing for eve, to Claire Foy for crown in 2018. Then proceeded to sweep the winter awards for S1. Phoebe left after S1. And the writing quality dipped overall. Killing eve got 12 Emmy nominations for S2 and only one win for Jodie comer as leading actress. If the mateiral or merit was not the problem, sandra would have been nominated for sag or golden globes for S2 too, having hosted globes for S1 and won and having won 3 sags in the past. But oh wait golden globes are problematic and only hand out awards to those who kiss their ass. I don’t know what happened in greys anatnomy but sandra  never had an Emmy winning performance in the three years she was nominated for ke. Undermining the actual winners performances (weird how her losing to Claire Foy even when ke’s writing was at it’s strongest is not an issue to you) and bringing race into it isn’t going to change that. Sandra lost Emmys in 2018, 2019 and 2020 because she was outperformed not cause of Emmys hating asian. More like they decided to put merit over giving her an overdue honorary award based solely on narrative.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.