Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 8)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 513 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Victor
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I feel like it’s wrong for Matthew Rhys to be 3rd in the predictions centre whilst Paulson is in 8th. I feel like the latter even has stronger chances than the former of getting nominated considering HBO don’t seem to really be paying much campaign attention to Perry Mason.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    katiebstate
    Topics:

I just feel like no one is watching <i>In Treatment </i>(of course it doesn’t necessarily need to be an audience hit for Aduba to get nominated) whilst Ratched has a lot of visibility (and likewise Netflix are actually campaigning hard for it which HBO aren’t for In Treatment).

As a non American, the international air times and distribution outside the US on linear are terrible and increasingly I find that “internationally easy to watch thing” matters. There’s too much of a British contingent these days. Sky are running it at about 5pm if I recall.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

As a non American, the international air times and distribution outside the US on linear are terrible and increasingly I find that “internationally easy to watch thing” matters. There’s too much of a British contingent these days. Sky are running it at about 5pm if I recall.

Is the fourth season even being shown in the UK lmao. I couldn’t find it 💀💀💀

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Which shows got Drama Series nominations at GG and got shut out above the line ?

I can recall Homecoming, Outlander and Narcos.

HFPA isn’t filled by people from industry, but sometimes they give us clues about the international support, like Masters of Sex (I checked in and Lizzy Caplan wasn’t even in the predictions center) or Bodyguard. I feel like at least one of Cynthia Nixon/Sarah Paulson will get in.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Which shows got Drama Series nominations at GG and got shut out above the line ?

The Affair won Drama Series and Drama Actress (Ruth Wilson) at the Globes but got shut out completely at the Emmys. Although Maura Tierney did make it in the following year after she won the supporting actress Globe.

I feel like at least one of Cynthia Nixon/Sarah Paulson will get in.

I have Nixon but I also think Sophie Okonedo is likelier than both Nixon and Paulson. 

Profile picture
    Sériextou
    Topics:

I find it very difficult for Smollett isnt nominated, she does an amazing job, and as MKV seems blocked and has great chances of winning, they should nominate a few more people from the show.

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

I feel like it’s wrong for Matthew Rhys to be 3rd in the predictions centre whilst Paulson is in 8th. I feel like the latter even has stronger chances than the former of getting nominated considering HBO don’t seem to really be paying much campaign attention to Perry Mason.

Speaking of which, why are Rhys and Pascal so high despite the low buzz for the former and the latter only having his face visible for a single scene, but almost no one is predicting Ventimiglia?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Speaking of which, why are Rhys and Pascal so high despite the low buzz for the former and the latter only having his face visible for a single scene, but almost no one is predicting Ventimiglia?

Good question.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Perry Mason has been campaigning but oddly none for Rhys. It’s also one of those shows where there’s a lot of pre-hype expectations but wilters due to it not being able to live up to expectations, a new Boardwalk Empire if you will.

Pascal I can only assume it’s because he’s the titular role in the arguable Series runner-up.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

It took me a while to acknowledge that, but Jurnee Smollett is not happening.

First season leading actresses doesn’t happen unless they have much going for them, like SAG/Globes (Claire Foy, Jennifer Aniston), name recognition (Sandra Oh, Viola Davis, Taraji P. Henson) or overwhelming passion (Zendaya, Tatiana Maslany, Lizzy Caplan).

There’s also the possibility of the show being a strong contender which allows someone to coattail, like Dynevor and Evan Rachel Wood (I’m not comparing them, but Rachel Wood missed SAG while her co star Thandiwe got in).

Mandy Moore and MJ Rodriguez are ahead of Smollett IMO. I don’t have any data, but looking at the nominees by Wikipedia, this category seems to be one of the most based on returning contenders.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

name recognition (Sandra Oh, Viola Davis, Taraji P. Henson)

Each of those three performances also had undeniable buzz and significance in the cultural conversation the first years they were nominated. Jurnee Smollett isn’t even the performer with the most buzz in the Lovecraft ensemble.

Profile picture
    Turd Ferguson
    Topics:

Perry Mason has been campaigning but oddly none for Rhys. It’s also one of those shows where there’s a lot of pre-hype expectations but wilters due to it not being able to live up to expectations, a new Boardwalk Empire if you will.

Pascal I can only assume it’s because he’s the titular role in the arguable Series runner-up.

And when he did have the mask off, he was excellent

Big fan of Better Call Saul, Sex Education, Barry, BoJack Horseman, and, especially, Survivor

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Personally I’m not predicting Pascal because this isn’t the Oscars. Only actors vote for acting categories and I don’t see them going for someone that’s masked 90% of the show. I also think that if he was going to be nominated, him and the ensemble would have happened at the populist SAG first. Also, genre shows don’t necessarily do good in acting despite being phenomenons. This is the awards body that snubbed Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke in leads for GoT s7 for example, and they were much showier and arguably more respected than Pascal (considering they had previous Emmy noms in supporting for the roles). We also had the case of Winona Ryder being snubbed in lead despite hitting SAG. Westworld did good but I believe it’s a much bigger acting showcase than the shows I mentioned previously, especially compared to The Mandalorian.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Personally I’m not predicting Pascal because this isn’t the Oscars. Only actors vote for acting categories and I don’t see them going for someone that’s masked 90% of the show. I also think that if he was going to be nominated, him and the ensemble would have happened at the populist SAG first. Also, genre shows don’t necessarily do good in acting despite being phenomenons. This is the awards body that snubbed Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke in leads for GoT s7 for example, and they were much showier and arguably more respected than Pascal (considering they had previous Emmy noms in supporting for the roles). We also had the case of Winona Ryder being snubbed in lead despite hitting SAG. Westworld did good but I believe it’s a much bigger acting showcase than the shows I mentioned previously, especially compared to The Mandalorian.

Winona Ryder was submitted in Supporting at the Emmys.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Winona Ryder was submitted in Supporting at the Emmys.

For some reasons I thought she was lead 💀

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.