Home Forums TV Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 8)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 513 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Victor
  • Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

I have Mosaku, Wiley, Anderson, Nixon, Bonham Carter, Fennell as me safedictions. Then my two spoilers are Brewer and Watson.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Watson.

I would love this to happen!

For Your Consideration:

I May Destroy You in all categories
    (especially Michaela Coel in Lead Actress and Writing)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

THR Drama Actor Roundtable Jonathan Majors (Lovecraft Country) Josh O’Connor (The Crown) Regé-Jean Page (Bridgerton) Chris Rock (Fargo) John Boyega (Small Axe)

Finally a THR lineup that doesn’t look like it was paid for by one network lmao.

Oscars FYC:
    "Shiva Baby" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "Together" – in all categories especially Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "CODA" – in all categories especially Supporting Actor (Troy Kotsur)
    "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Supporting Actor (Richard E. Grant), Supporting Actress (Sarah Lancashire)
    "I'm Your Man" – International Feature
    "Summer of Soul" – Documentary Feature

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Jesus Christ, The Handmaid’s better make a gigantic comeback. That finale was mind-blowing. Liz Garbus needs a directing nomination!!! And my god, Elisabeth Moss, if she doesn’t get nominated, then I don’t know.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Oscars FYC:
    "Together" – in all categories especially Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Supporting Actor (Richard E. Grant), Supporting Actress (Sarah Lancashire)

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

Jesus Christ, The Handmaid’s better make a gigantic comeback. That finale was mind-blowing. Liz Garbus needs a directing nomination!!! And my god, Elisabeth Moss, if she doesn’t get nominated, then I don’t know.

Oh god..what a finale! We will riot together if she doesn’t get in for her incredible performance!!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The last time 5 or more incumbents were ineligible for Drama Series was in 2019.

Better Call Saul season 4
    Bodyguard season 1
    Game of Thrones season 8
    Killing Eve season 2
    Ozark season 2
    Pose season 1
    Succession season 1
    This is Us season 3

3 of the nominees last year were incumbents (Better Call Saul, Game of Thrones and This is Us). Killing Eve was win competitive in Actress, swept BAFTA and Sandra Oh won SAG. It also had received two nominations the prior year. Ozark was nominated for both DGA and SAG ensemble and Jason Bateman won SAG. Likewise it had already received 5 nominations in 2018. BodyguardPose and Succession were all the buzzy newbies. Bodyguard was arguably the second most popular show in this race after GoT, Richard Madden won the Globe and the show was nominated there and it did fairly well in nominations at BAFTA. It also was a nominee backed by writers branch support. Pose was nominated at the Globes and Critics Choice, it had a new series nomination at WGA and Billy Porter was win competitive. <i>Succession </i>won the international series BAFTA (since 2015 every eligible show that has won the award has won an Emmy), won DGA and had a WGA nomination. However Homecoming was also a newbie widely predicted (it was in 8th in the predictions centre) that failed to not only get nominated for series but also failed to get any nominations at all above the line in spite of having 3 Golden Globe nominations, 2 Critics Choice nominations, a WGA new series nomination and a few secondary guild nominations (ADG, ACE).

The Crown is winning and The Mandalorian is locked for a nomination. Just like Ozark season 2, Bridgerton has SAG, DGA and PGA nominations and it’s arguably top 3 in actor. It is also safely in. The Handmaid’s Tale should be able to get back in on the basis that it’s the only other incumbent nominee. In a normal year Lovecraft Country would be a show I am sceptical of landing a series nomination but it managed to snag a SAG ensemble nomination so even though I’m unsure of it doing as well with actors as the predictions centre suggests, it should be able to land a series nomination in this weak field. <i>The Boys </i>feels like it’s in the Bodyguard position. It’s an acclaimed and popular show that takes advantage of this weak field but it’s not taken too seriously by any branch other than the writers.

The final two slots feel like they can go to anything. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier feels like this year’s Jack Ryan. It’s one of the most popular shows contending, will get a bunch of tech noms and is a part of a film franchise but it ultimately has no passion. Perry Mason feels like this year’s Homecoming. Its pedigree and the acclaim for its central performance makes us think earlier on that it’s going to be a huge contender but it ultimately ends up having no buzz, its lead is no longer win competitive and it under-performed at the guilds. My qualm with Pose and This is Us is that it’s so hard for shows that have been dropped from series to slip back in. Look at Black-ish last year in spite of it having a mini-resurgence that got Tracee Ellis Ross back in. Or GLOWThe Good Wife (in spite of having a buzzy fifth season), You can even argue Silicon Valley falls into this too considering it wasn’t eligible the year Fleabag won but it failed to make any dent when it was eligible for the same guild season. The only shows that have managed to do such things were Homeland (which was still nominated at SAG) and The Americans (which had immense critical buzz and a final season narrative). I think Pose will make it back in. Maybe not necessarily always with a series nomination but the academy does seem to feel sentimental to some extent towards final seasons (see how well The Good Place did in nominations last year or how Modern Family landed a directing nomination) and the show has recency buzz. I am sceptical about This is Us though with how it still missed SAG ensemble. I do think it will have a mini-resurgence in acting nominations though. Going with For All Mankind for the final slot because it does seem to have buzz, will probably land a TCA nomination and I think it will surprise in writing.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    rue2
    Topics:

imagine if Colman misses a nomination

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

imagine if Colman misses a nomination

Imagine if this thread was Emmy eligible.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

The last time 5 or more incumbents were ineligible for Drama Series was in 2019. – Better Call Saul season 4 – Bodyguard season 1 – Game of Thrones season 8 – Killing Eve season 2 – Ozark season 2 – Pose season 1 – Succession season 1 – This is Us season 3 3 of the nominees last year were incumbents (Better Call Saul, Game of Thrones and This is Us). Killing Eve was win competitive in Actress, swept BAFTA and Sandra Oh won SAG. It also had received two nominations the prior year. Ozark was nominated for both DGA and SAG ensemble and Jason Bateman won SAG. Likewise it had already received 5 nominations in 2018. Bodyguard, Pose and Succession were all the buzzy newbies. Bodyguard was arguably the second most popular show in this race after GoT, Richard Madden won the Globe and the show was nominated there and it did fairly well in nominations at BAFTA. It also was a nominee backed by writers branch support. Pose was nominated at the Globes and Critics Choice, it had a new series nomination at WGA and Billy Porter was win competitive. <i>Succession </i>won the international series BAFTA (since 2015 every eligible show that has won the award has won an Emmy), won DGA and had a WGA nomination. However Homecoming was also a newbie widely predicted (it was in 8th in the predictions centre) that failed to not only get nominated for series but also failed to get any nominations at all above the line in spite of having 3 Golden Globe nominations, 2 Critics Choice nominations, a WGA new series nomination and a few secondary guild nominations (ADG, ACE). The Crown is winning and The Mandalorian is locked for a nomination. Just like Ozark season 2, Bridgerton has SAG, DGA and PGA nominations and it’s arguably top 3 in actor. It is also safely in. The Handmaid’s Tale should be able to get back in on the basis that it’s the only other incumbent nominee. In a normal year Lovecraft Country would be a show I am sceptical of landing a series nomination but it managed to snag a SAG ensemble nomination so even though I’m unsure of it doing as well with actors as the predictions centre suggests, it should be able to land a series nomination in this weak field. <i>The Boys </i>feels like it’s in the Bodyguard position. It’s an acclaimed and popular show that takes advantage of this weak field but it’s not taken too seriously by any branch other than the writers. The final two slots feel like they can go to anything. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier feels like this year’s Jack Ryan. It’s one of the most popular shows contending, will get a bunch of tech noms and is a part of a film franchise but it ultimately has no passion. Perry Mason feels like this year’s Homecoming. Its pedigree and the acclaim for its central performance makes us think earlier on that it’s going to be a huge contender but it ultimately ends up having no buzz, its lead is no longer win competitive and it under-performed at the guilds. My qualm with Pose and This is Us is that it’s so hard for shows that have been dropped from series to slip back in. Look at Black-ish last year in spite of it having a mini-resurgence that got Tracee Ellis Ross back in. Or GLOW, The Good Wife (in spite of having a buzzy fifth season), You can even argue Silicon Valley falls into this too considering it wasn’t eligible the year Fleabag won but it failed to make any dent when it was eligible for the same guild season. The only shows that have managed to do such things were Homeland (which was still nominated at SAG) and The Americans (which had immense critical buzz and a final season narrative). I think Pose will make it back in. Maybe not necessarily always with a series nomination but the academy does seem to feel sentimental to some extent towards final seasons (see how well The Good Place did in nominations last year or how Modern Family landed a directing nomination) and the show has recency buzz. I am sceptical about This is Us though with how it still missed SAG ensemble. I do think it will have a mini-resurgence in acting nominations though. Going with For All Mankind for the final slot because it does seem to have buzz, will probably land a TCA nomination and I think it will surprise in writing.

Most of this makes sense, but I don’t think The Good Place is a great example. It was growing consistently in support over the years. If it had a 5th season, I bet even Kristen Bell would have finally made it.

Profile picture
    Stranger Among Us
    Topics:

I highly doubt anyone will be submitted for directing other than Elisabeth Moss for THT. She’s been campaigning hard! But I agree Liz Garbus did a great job in tension building in the finale.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t this Garbus’ first time directing fiction?

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I highly doubt anyone will be submitted for directing other than Elisabeth Moss for THT. She’s been campaigning hard! But I agree Liz Garbus did a great job in tension building in the finale.

Oh, they’re submitting 4 directors, I believe, among them Liz Garbus.

Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

does anyone think brooke smith gets in for Big Sky & her self submission?

Imagine if she actually does pull it off.

(Despite Big Sky being absolute network trash and not even enjoyable network trash with a great aspect to overcome it’s trashiness {e.g. Henson in Empire})

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.