Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 9)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 505 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Victor
  • Profile picture
    Benjamonster86
    Topics:

And they aren’t aware of 39-time Emmy nominee and next Drama series winner The Crown?

Obviously they are but I was referring to those who seem to think Pose isn’t much on the radar of Emmy voters.

My blog: http://benjamonsterstv.blogspot.com/

My site: https://peaktvdatabase.weebly.com/

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

I’m just here for the nonsensical fighting because we all know both of them are losing to Rege Jean Page honeys, it’s bound to happen.

Then we know how horny the voters are at the time of the voting.

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

I hope Pose gets more acting nominations than just Porter. Rodriguez and Jackson need to happen. I loved Elektra’s storyline this season and the development of her character and Blanca just is the most lovable house mother.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I know this is the drama thread but I’m curious about something for all so I’ll just put it here.
    When was the last time a show won Series without winning Casting or even better, without being nominated for Casting in all 3 fields?

FYC Emmys: Get MJ Rodriguez that deserved WIN! And some votes for Elizabeth Olsen, Tobias Menzies and Matthew Rhys will be highly tasteful as well

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I know this is the drama thread but I’m curious about something for all so I’ll just put it here.
    When was the last time a show won Series without winning Casting or even better, without being nominated for Casting in all 3 fields?

Chernobyl did lose Casting to When They See Us. Game of Thrones season 7 also lost Casting to The Crown.

The Americans was the closest to win Drama series in recent years, without a Casting nomination. But even then, I’m pretty sure The Crown was the runner-up that year.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Handmaid’s won series without casting, which went to Stranger Things that year. GOT won drama series, too, without casting in 2019, when The Crown won.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Handmaid’s won series without casting, which went to Stranger Things that year. GOT won drama series, too, without casting in 2019, when The Crown won.

You’re right, totally forgot The Handmaid’s Tale lost to Stranger Things.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Lost Casting, Won Drama (casting winner)

• The West Wing S3 (2002) (Six Feet Under S1)
    • The West Wing S4 (2003) (Six Feet Under S2)
    • The Sopranos S4 (2004) (24 S3)
    • 24 S5 (2006) (Grey’s Anatomy S2)
    • Mad Men S1 (2008) (Damages S1)
    • Mad Men S2 (2009) (True Blood S1)
    • Mad Men S3 (2011) (Boardwalk Empire S1)
    • Breaking Bad S5A (2013) (House of Cards S1)
    • Breaking Bad S5B (2014) (True Detective S1)
    • The Handmaid’s Tale S1 (2017) (Stranger Things S1)
    • Game of Thrones S7 (2018) (The Crown S2)

Won Drama without a Casting nom

• The Sopranos S6B (2007) (Friday Night Lights S1)

Lost Casting, Won Comedy (casting winner)

• Will & Grace S2 (2000) (Freaks and Geeks)
    • Sex and the City S3 (2001) (Ally McBeal S3)
    • Friends S8 (2002) (Sex and the City S4)
    • 30 Rock S1 (2007) (Ugly Betty S1)
    • Modern Family S2 (2011) (Glee S2)
    • Modern Family S3 (2012) (Girls S1)
    • Modern Family S4 (2013) (30 Rock S7)
    • Modern Family S1 (2014) (Orange is the New Black S1)

Won Comedy without a Casting nom

• Everybody Loves Raymond S7 (2003) (Sex and the City S5)
    • Everybody Loves Raymond S9 (2005) (Desperate Housewives S1)
    • The Office S2 (2006) (My Name Is Earl S1)

Profile picture
    katiebstate
    Topics:

• Game of Thrones S7 (2018) (The Crown S2)

I consider this one negligible because they’re both cast by the same team.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series Nominees Since 2015:

– 14 previously nominated performances
    – 29 from shows nominated that year in one of the drama categories at SAG
    – 5 Golden Globe nominated performances
    – 11 performances from the drama series winner/frontrunner

The following this year all have at least one of those factors playing in their favour:

– Asante Blackk, This is Us
    – Jonathan Bailey, Bridgerton
    – Griffin Dunne, This is Us
    – Giancarlo Esposito, The Mandalorian
    – OT Fagbenle, The Handmaid’s Tale
    – Justin Hartley, This is Us
    – Tobias Menzies, The Crown
    – Max Minghella, The Handmaid’s Tale
    – Chris Sullivan, This is Us
    – Michael K. Williams, Lovecraft Country
    – Bradley Whitford, The Handmaid’s Tale

Performers who fit none of that criteria and were individually ONLY nominated at Critics Choice however tend to perform poorly (e.g. Asia Kate Dillon, Delroy Lindo, Matthew Macfadyen (Succession s1), Michael McKean, Shea Whigham) which isn’t great news for someone like John Lithgow’s chances.

Last year’s nominees each fared well under this :

– Nicholas Braun (in the series winner)
    – Billy Crudup (The Morning Show was nominated in 3 categories at SAG including for himself individually)
    – Kieran Culkin (Golden Globe nominee + in the series winner)
    – Mark Duplass (The Morning Show was nominated in 3 categories at SAG)
    – Giancarlo Esposito (incumbent nominee + Better Call Saul was nominated the previous year for two SAG awards and would go on to retain those nominations the following year)
    – Matthew Macfadyen (in the series winner)
    – Bradley Whitford (incumbent nominee + The Handmaid’s Tale was nominated for 2 SAG categories)
    – Jeffrey Wright (incumbent nominee)

The three notable omissions all had strikes against them. O’Connor did not receive a Golden Globe nomination (or Critics Choice) for his performance even as The Crown was embraced there. He only received a BAFTA nomination and the only thing that was really going for him was that The Crown was the SAG ensemble winner and he would be coat tailing to its strength – of which it had little that year. Similar thing with Tom Pelphrey (although he was nominated at Critics Choice). Jonathan Banks’ snub is less explicable but Better Call Saul’s awards performance very much is inexplicable.

Being in the series winner trumps everything else (the only drama series winner to miss in this category was The Handmaid’s Tale and that was in a much more competitive field) which bodes well for BAFTA and Critics Choice nominated Menzies who not only do I think is the safest to get nominated but I also have him as my predicted winner right now. It feels like a Ben Mendelsohn winning for Bloodline type of situation where this is an arguably open field (the 2016 one being because of the Dinklage/Harrington vote-split and it might potentially be a similar case this year with Lovecraft potentially under-performing due to not having lots of passion or buzz) and the seasoned performer whose appearances in this season of their show are scarce ends up taking the Emmy due to the goodwill from their work in the previous season. Coincidentally both Menzies and Mendelsohn were also nominated at the Globes for their first seasons lol.

Jonathan Bailey is at risk of being this year’s O’Connor/Pelphrey but with how depressingly barren the field is and how well Bridgerton performed at the guilds I won’t predict such a thing.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

So badly want and need O-T to get in. What else does he have to do, seriously? Season 4 was his best season.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

So badly want and need O-T to get in. What else does he have to do, seriously? Season 4 was his best season.

Wbk. Still can’t get over his snub in Guest last year. Should’ve been nominated and won. The robbery.

The way three of my Drama winners were snubbed. Tom Pelphrey, O.T. Fagbenle and Jane Lapotaire. All three ROBBED.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Honestly with each passing day I am more and more convinced he’s getting in. Even if both In Treatment actors and Bailey happen along with Menzies, Whitford and Williams there are still 2 open slots left and I just don’t see how they don’t go to someone from The Handmaid’s Tale or This is Us.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Wbk. Still can’t get over his snub in Guest last year. Should’ve been nominated and won. The robbery. The way three of my Drama winners were snubbed. Tom Pelphrey, O.T. Fagbenle and Jane Lapotaire. All three ROBBED.

There was some real clownery last year all around, and it was painful. While you’re here though, how far are you on THT S4?

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

There was some real clownery last year all around, and it was painful. While you’re here though, how far are you on THT S4?

I finished it two nights ago. Moss really did that. Now that my girl Billie is ineligible, I think Moss might actually be my favourite of the category. Fagbenle, Brewer and Dowd (girl sold her material in a phenomenal way even with her short screentime) should get nominations. Wiley was quite good but for some reason I wasn’t that much into her. But she’s definitely deserving of a nom. Fiennes was good in the finale but I wouldn’t nominate him in lead (What a dumb placement). Strahovski and Whitford didn’t do much outside a few good moments and shouldn’t get in. Bledel, Brugel and Grace must come for those Guest noms. We are manifesting it.
    Overall, it was definitely a far superior season than season 3. ‘Testimony’ was probably my favourite episode of the season and Moss deserves a Directing nom for it.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.