Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 9)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 505 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Victor
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The way Rege would be the greatest Emmy winner of all time we love seeing it.

He’d definitely be the hottest that’s for sure lol.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

He’d definitely be the hottest that’s for sure lol.

And he should be sweeping for that darling.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

And he should be sweeping for that darling.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

The way Rege would be the greatest Emmy winner of all time we love seeing it.

Wiser words have never been said before

FYC Emmys: Get MJ Rodriguez that deserved WIN! And some votes for Elizabeth Olsen, Tobias Menzies and Matthew Rhys will be highly tasteful as well

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Outside of this forum where people are not biased or subjective to their baseless hate, season 4 of The Handmaid’s Tale is almost unanimously considered as the best one in the show after season 1, the writing has been constantly praised, not only from the fandom, but also from critics.

Moss acts circles around Corrin in season 4 where she showed many new nuances of June, I think that is completely believable that she might be competitive for the win.

Mandy Moore is a tremendous actress that keeps doing miracles on This is us that no other actress has done before, so she has that novelty going on for her. She has to make it.

MJ Rodriguez deserves to make it because her charisma made the show special, Blanca is a very lovable character and that is thanks to her. The writers did her dirty though since she did not had any stories of her own, she was there to support the other characters, the nurse stuff started last season, same goes with the unbelievably perfect boyfriend, although it was a different actor back then (episode 9, season 2).

Who is better between Erivo and Smollett? If someone has seen Aretha of course… I have not seen both of them, hence I am asking, because I will predict the other 5 until the very end.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think that is completely believable that she might be competitive for the win.

The fact Moss only won this category (which as of late has largely been dominated by rising stars/newcomers with “more shocking” performances)  when the show swept speaks to how safe Emma Corrin (a newcomer playing Princess Diana in the series winner) is for the win.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I doubt repeats happen on this category again, I feel like they moved pass that, it would need to be pretty undeniable like Claire Danes was.

Who is better between Erivo and Smollett? If someone has seen Aretha of course… I have not seen both of them, hence I am asking, because I will predict the other 5 until the very end.

Erivo is competing on the Limited side, and you should think about Paulson and Aduba ahead of Smollett.

FYC Emmys: Get MJ Rodriguez that deserved WIN! And some votes for Elizabeth Olsen, Tobias Menzies and Matthew Rhys will be highly tasteful as well

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

The fact Moss only won this category (which as of late has largely been dominated by rising stars/newcomers with “more shocking” performances)  when the show swept speaks to how safe Emma Corrin (a newcomer playing Princess Diana in the series winner) is for the win.

I don’t buy it. Jodie Comer, Claire Foy and Zendaya all gave superior performances than Corrin. Okay, this might be subjective. But the objective fact is that all three of them were real leads and the focus of their show. Claire Foy had 10 tapes in season 2. Comer had 10 tapes in season 2 even when she shared the screen time with Oh, she had her own story arc in all 8 episodes. Zendaya had 3 very strong tapes, but she had a lot of screen time in the rest of the episodes even when they were about other characters, she was the lead in all of them, it is more, she won the Emmy for an episode focused on Barbie Ferreira’s Kat.

Unlike Comer, Zendaya and Foy, Corrin has screen time in 4 out of 6 episodes, 5 out of 5, if we are being generous. But she is a lead in 3 out of 7 and this is a fact. She is supporting in 2. And she is non-existing in 5. She was snubbed in her home for no reason, it was logical for Bafta to ignore Colman and Anderson, but not Corrin. She won the two most irrelevant awards – Golden Globe and Critics Choice, she lost the important one – SAG – to Anderson and was snubbed at the other important one – Bafta. So she is a sure winner based on what? The love for Dianna? I don’t buy it. If actors watch both season 4 of The Crown and season 4 of The Handmaid’s Tale, no one is voting for Corrin.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

If actors watch both season 4 of The Crown and season 4 of The Handmaid’s Tale, no one is voting for Corrin.

That’s a bit of a stretch.

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

I doubt repeats happen on this category again, I feel like they moved pass that, it would need to be pretty undeniable like Claire Danes was. Erivo is competing on the Limited side, and you should think about Paulson and Aduba ahead of Smollett.

I am sure that repeats will happen at some point. There are pretty clear reasons why they haven’t in the lead categories

2015: Margulies was snubbed completely, Cranston’s show was over

2016: Davis’s narrative was a 1-time thing, Hamm’s show was over

2017: Maslany’s show skipped a year, Malek’s show completely flopped at the Emmys

2018: The Handmaid’s Tale flopped got 0 main ceremony wins after a divisive season, Sterling K. Brown faced vote-splitting with a more buzzy performance

2019: Foy was recast and her show skipped a year, Rhys’s show was over

2020: Porter was in a show with little Emmy support and loss to the lead of the series winner. Comer probably could have repeated again, though.

If a show that the Emmys actually like wins a lead acting award, comes back the next year with the same actor in contention, and is still well-liked enough to win Emmys, I think a lead actor could repeat. It just doesn’t happen often. I’m pretty confident that Jeremy Strong would repeat this year for example. We’ll see if he can with a year gap in-between.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

2016: Davis’s narrative was a 1-time thing, Hamm’s show was over 2017: Maslany’s show skipped a year, Malek’s show completely flopped at the Emmys 2018: The Handmaid’s Tale flopped got 0 main ceremony wins after a divisive season, Sterling K. Brown faced vote-splitting with a more buzzy performance 2019: Foy was recast and her show skipped a year, Rhys’s show was over 2020: Porter was in a show with little Emmy support and loss to the lead of the series winner. Comer probably could have repeated again, though.

These aren’t the only reasons each of these performers failed to repeat though.

2016: Voting shifted from being ranked to the popular vote. Maslany simply had enough passion to defeat incumbent SAG winner Viola Davis.

2018: The fact Claire Foy had a last season narrative, won SAG and was in the drama series runner up gave her enough ammonite to defeat Elisabeth Moss in a show that received tonnes of acting nominations.

2020: Succession got 9 acting nominations and was the drama series winner so a vote-split between Strong and Cox did not occur.

The fact that Comer, who was in a show that still received the same other two acting nominations it had last year and arguably had a showier performance this season, failed to repeat goes to show how difficult it is to do such a thing in lead categories. Of course there are people like JLD and Hader who have repeated multiple times but both of them outranked their competition in support (and by a wide margin) and they didn’t really have that strong a contender to oppose them as each of the incumbent drama lead winners who have lost faced.

Could we have a JLD or a Hader in lead on the drama side? Of course, anything is possible. But the fact no one as of yet shows how difficult it is to do such a thing on the drama side.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

she lost the important one – SAG – to Anderson

Yet she was still nominated over the likes of incumbent nominee Jodie Comer and beloved veteran Sandra Oh, both of whom got nominated at the Emmys over Moss last year.

and was snubbed at the other important one – Bafta.

And so was Maggie Smith for most of Downton

Context is needed here. I think the BAFTA snub is quite explicable. The Crown‘s problem at BAFTA isn’t that it’s too weak but it faces much stiffer competition. Even in years such as last year’s, its BAFTA competition was much more competitive than it was at the Emmys with Succession. That’s not in terms of the number of competitors but in the type of competitors. Limited, movie and continuing drama performances are all amalgamated together. BAFTA juries tend to also favour louder and showier performances, performances with more of a social factor and/or performances from unknowns, newcomers and rising stars. Corrin’s snub isn’t due to her or The Crown‘s (which became the only drama in BAFTA history to make a resurgence in nominations above and below the line) weaknesses but rather the strength of the field. She was up against Michaela Coel (who, even if Corrin was nominated, no one was ever going to beat), Billie Piper (another person who Corrin probably could not have won over due to the amount of industry support for Piper’s show and the loudness of her performance), Daisy Edgar-Jones (who was snubbed at the Emmys) in a show that is essentially a 5 hour reel for two rising stars, Letitia Wright with a showy performance in a jury bait show, Jodie Comer with a baity tape (which helps considering BAFTA’s system is tape based), and Hayley Squires with a baity performance that had a social relevancy factor.

The BAFTAs do have their uses in Emmy predictions but that’s only in telling the amount of passion a show or performer has (hence why Essiedu and Opia’s noms for I May Destroy You could be quite helpful for their chances with the TV Academy’s actors branch) and also in giving visibility to performances. They are not there to predict the Emmys and that’s why it’s easy for a jury to snub a performance that is essentially already guaranteed to be at the very least competitive for the Emmys (and has won a bunch of awards) when there is tough competition. The fact The Crown bounced back in nominations and arguably had its “baitiest” season goes to show that it probably was close to achieving the impossible and winning the drama series BAFTA with the jury.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Corrin was The Crown 4, the show literally exploded just cause of the Diana storyline, it broke records of viewership and it’s being bigger than ever was awards wise, i doubt she loses.

On the other hand there is no narrative anymore for The Handmaid’s Tale, and, as great as Moss is, she already was dropped last year.

If anyone will stop Corrin is MJ Rodriguez, if nominated. The headlines are gonna be huge and she has tons of passion.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I’d argue that TCA is now the second most important precursor after SAG, not BAFTA.

They should really start doing a TV or stream live Award show.

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

These aren’t the only reasons each of these performers failed to repeat though. 2016: Voting shifted from being ranked to the popular vote. Maslany simply had enough passion to defeat incumbent SAG winner Viola Davis. 2018: The fact Claire Foy had a last season narrative, won SAG and was in the drama series runner up gave her enough ammonite to defeat Elisabeth Moss in a show that received tonnes of acting nominations. 2020: Succession got 9 acting nominations and was the drama series winner so a vote-split between Strong and Cox did not occur. The fact that Comer, who was in a show that still received the same other two acting nominations it had last year and arguably had a showier performance this season, failed to repeat goes to show how difficult it is to do such a thing in lead categories. Of course there are people like JLD and Hader who have repeated multiple times but both of them outranked their competition in support (and by a wide margin) and they didn’t really have that strong a contender to oppose them as each of the incumbent drama lead winners who have lost faced. Could we have a JLD or a Hader in lead on the drama side? Of course, anything is possible. But the fact no one as of yet shows how difficult it is to do such a thing on the drama side.

I definitely am not denying that it’s difficult. I just think that it seems more difficult than it is due to other factors. If THT had been strong enough to win series again for example, Moss would have too.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.