Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 9)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 505 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Victor
  • Profile picture
    Antony Mathews
    Topics:

Killing Eve will become the third show to do this next year.

It’s been a while, and then we’ll have back to back shows with Sandra Oh winning next year for Killing Eve.

Emmy FYC: Basically no one because everyone who was my FYC was snubbed. Anyway, I May Destroy You for victory in each category.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Westworld got a ton of nominations in 2017 but lost every major category. Same goes for Game of Thrones in 2014 and Mad Men in 2012.

Westworld had 4 nominations in 2017 which is half of what The Handmaid’s Tale had in 2018. Mad Men and GoT were both competing under different systems.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

Thank you for the wishes! They’re honestly much appreciated.

I’m doubtful, but honestly also sincere, an Oh win would be a great moment and much better than a more likely Aniston win or Zendaya repeat.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Anything would be better than a Aniston win, but i don’t want Zendaya repeating cause I hate repeats, so Aniston > Zendaya.

But please, let it be someone else next year.

FYC Emmys: Get MJ Rodriguez that deserved WIN! And some votes for Elizabeth Olsen, Tobias Menzies and Matthew Rhys will be highly tasteful as well

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

Westworld had 4 nominations in 2017 which is half of what The Handmaid’s Tale had in 2018. Mad Men and GoT were both competing under different systems.

The Handmaid’s Tale’s 5 main category acting nominations is only 1 more than Westworld, throwing in a bunch of guest nominations from the Creative Arts Emmys doesn’t mean much. THT clearly flopped when it came to wins at the main ceremony, despite all of its nominations. It lost Best Actress because The Crown was significantly stronger than it by the time of the ceremony, which is also why it lost Directing to The Crown. That doesn’t mean Moss would have lost if THT was stronger than The Crown.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

That doesn’t mean Moss would have lost if THT was stronger than The Crown.

And I didn’t say it meant that. I’m saying that Moss’ loss at SAG (whilst The Handmaid’s Tale swept the season) to Foy clearly showed she was vulnerable to losing to Foy. Regardless of whether the show was winning drama series or not.

But anyway this conversation is just getting tiring. Claire Foy won the Emmy over Moss. There’s no need hypothesising so much about it and discrediting one performer’s awards strength and another’s weakness (I say this as being a culprit of such a thing myself) in a thread about the 2021 Emmys. Let’s move on.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Huns they both have their Emmy, they are both literal winners, let’s move on.

FYC Emmys: Get MJ Rodriguez that deserved WIN! And some votes for Elizabeth Olsen, Tobias Menzies and Matthew Rhys will be highly tasteful as well

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Huns they both have their Emmy

As they should! Both two of the best wins in this category ever  (both should also be two time winners as well for Mad Men and Wolf Hall).

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

As they should! Both two of the best wins in this category ever (both should also be two time winners as well for Mad Men and Wolf Hall).

I actually love that none of them both won two times in a row as it could’ve happen.
    Both iconic performances and to each it’s Emmy.

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Erivo is competing on the Limited side, and you should think about Paulson and Aduba ahead of Smollett.

Yes, it was a stupid mistake, I was speaking about Aduba, I saw the first 4 episodes of In Treatment, I have to see the rest, I found her good, but not undeniable, is he better than Smollett, has someone seen both? I cannot imagine Paulson nominated for that horrific performance.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

You should imagine it tho, she is rightfully coming

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

ivostoyanov wrote:
    she lost the important one – SAG – to Anderson

Yet she was still nominated over the likes of incumbent nominee Jodie Comer and beloved veteran Sandra Oh, both of whom got nominated at the Emmys over Moss last year.

ivostoyanov wrote:
    and was snubbed at the other important one – Bafta.

And so was Maggie Smith for most of Downton…

Context is needed here. I think the BAFTA snub is quite explicable. The Crown‘s problem at BAFTA isn’t that it’s too weak but it faces much stiffer competition. Even in years such as last year’s, its BAFTA competition was much more competitive than it was at the Emmys with Succession. That’s not in terms of the number of competitors but in the type of competitors. Limited, movie and continuing drama performances are all amalgamated together. BAFTA juries tend to also favour louder and showier performances, performances with more of a social factor and/or performances from unknowns, newcomers and rising stars. Corrin’s snub isn’t due to her or The Crown‘s (which became the only drama in BAFTA history to make a resurgence in nominations above and below the line) weaknesses but rather the strength of the field. She was up against Michaela Coel (who, even if Corrin was nominated, no one was ever going to beat), Billie Piper (another person who Corrin probably could not have won over due to the amount of industry support for Piper’s show and the loudness of her performance), Daisy Edgar-Jones (who was snubbed at the Emmys) in a show that is essentially a 5 hour reel for two rising stars, Letitia Wright with a showy performance in a jury bait show, Jodie Comer with a baity tape (which helps considering BAFTA’s system is tape based), and Hayley Squires with a baity performance that had a social relevancy factor.

The BAFTAs do have their uses in Emmy predictions but that’s only in telling the amount of passion a show or performer has (hence why Essiedu and Opia’s noms for I May Destroy You could be quite helpful for their chances with the TV Academy’s actors branch) and also in giving visibility to performances. They are not there to predict the Emmys and that’s why it’s easy for a jury to snub a performance that is essentially already guaranteed to be at the very least competitive for the Emmys (and has won a bunch of awards) when there is tough competition. The fact The Crown bounced back in nominations and arguably had its “baitiest” season goes to show that it probably was close to achieving the impossible and winning the drama series BAFTA with the jury.

You are going in different directions, the comparison with Maggie Smith is out of place. You are comparing Corrin with Foy, Comer and Zendaya. And I proved to you that she is weaker than all three of them. I know that Bafta is not a precursor, but the two actresses you are comparing Corrin to were never snubbed at Bafta, Foy has 2 out of 2 noms, Comer has 3 out of 3 noms (and 1 win), Corrin was snubbed and there is no excuse for that snub – none. You say that it was very competitive, well, then she is not that strong or competitive which is exactly my point. Zendaya I already explained, she won for an episode focused on a different character (Kat) and everybody thought that is well deserved and a good tape, all that is because Zendaya is the real Lead of Euphoria, Corrin is a Lead in only 3 out of 10 episodes of The Crown. And again, she is a fake Lead that failed to achieve nomination at Bafta and lost SAG. Corrin is very far from Comer, Zendaya and Foy, and this is an undeniable fact, she can lose to Moss, she can lose to somebody else as well.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Regardless of my opinion on Corrin’s win chances where did I compare her to Zendaya in that post lmao?

Profile picture
    Sériextou
    Topics:

<span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>Sim, foi um erro estúpido, estava falando sobre Aduba, vi os primeiros 4 episódios de Em tratamento, tenho que ver o resto, achei ela boa, mas não inegável, ele é melhor que Smollett, alguém viu os dois ? </span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>Não consigo imaginar Paulson sendo nomeado para aquele desempenho horrível.</span></span>

I much prefer Smollett, hope she gets her deserved nomination.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

well, then she is not that strong or competitive which is exactly my point.

As I said Maggie Smith was snubbed at BAFTA and it’s not like she lost the Emmy for Downton‘s final season. Gillian Anderson also got snubbed at BAFTA, are we going to also assume she’s losing in spite of winning every single winter award over much tougher competition lol?

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.