Home Forums TV Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 9)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 505 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Victor
  • Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Game of Thrones is still on the TOP 15 of IMDB trends two years after its finale. That’s how big the show is.

It’s the most popular TV show of the century. The only shows that got close in terms of zeitgeist and popularity were Lost and The Walking Dead. But unlike these two, GOT isn’t an easy watch, which makes it even more shocking that it was so popular and appealing to the masses.

It was never going to lose.

Profile picture
    Sériextou
    Topics:

I watched a few episodes of In Treatment and I really liked it a lot, Aduba is doing very well, but I don’t know if he deserved the nomination. For me the highlight is John Benjamin Hickey the best episodes are his and he really dominates, and it is in his sessions that Uzo Aduba gives the best performances.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Game of Thrones is still on the TOP 15 of IMDB trends two years after its finale. That’s how big the show is. It’s the most popular TV show of the century. The only shows that got close in terms of zeitgeist and popularity were Lost and The Walking Dead. But unlike these two, GOT isn’t an easy watch, which makes it even more shocking that it was so popular and appealing to the masses.

Yeah. People underestimate the latent interest big time and probably overestimate the “damage” of the final season. The industry is likely going to spend the next decade trying to reverse engineer it.

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

The Crown wins series, actress, supporting actress, guest actor, directing, writing, casting, cinematography, editing, production design, hairstyling and VFX Supporting

Pose wins Actor and costume design

Lovecraft Country wins Supporting Actor

The Handmaid’s Tale wins Guest Actress and Production design

The Mandalorian wins score, costume design, sound editing, sound mixing, stunts, make-up and VFX

These shows wins maybe…
    * Bridgerton: Actor, Costume design, hairstyling
    * The Crown: Actor, Supporting Actor, Sound editing, sound mixing
    * The Mandalorian: Supporting Actor, Directing, editing, Production design.
    * This Is Us: Guest Actress (it can)
    * The Handmaid’s Tale: Casting, VFX Supporting
    * The Boys: Stunts and VFX

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Loll, Stranger Things would not have won series. The show got one (!) above-the-line nomination last year, which was series. It couldn’t get in Harbour & Brown, plus it missed writing, directing and, lol, casting, which it won in 2017. It would have prob done much better this year, or in 2019, in terms of nominations, but let’s not pretend like it’s the smash it was at the 2017 Emmys. The show has only gone down from its season 1 total, so my guess is that there isn’t much interest left for it in the TV academy. It was probably in eighth in series last year.

And we already saw both of them compete at the winter awards, where GoT consistently did way better while ST just bombed 💀. I doubt it would have ended up higher than even Killing Eve or Ozark in the end.

Profile picture
    bantigauti
    Topics:

Feels like Rege-Jean ends up like Richard Madden.

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

Game of Thrones is still on the TOP 15 of IMDB trends two years after its finale. That’s how big the show is. It’s the most popular TV show of the century. The only shows that got close in terms of zeitgeist and popularity were Lost and The Walking Dead. But unlike these two, GOT isn’t an easy watch, which makes it even more shocking that it was so popular and appealing to the masses. It was never going to lose.

It would have lost against the right competition. There’s a reason why it lost all but a single above-the-line award for its final season, and it largely won because it was facing a field even weaker than the one this year.

And we already saw both of them compete at the winter awards, where GoT consistently did way better while ST just bombed 💀. I doubt it would have ended up higher than even Killing Eve or Ozark in the end.

This is a good point and you’re probably right. Thank you for pointing it out. But it is worth pointing out that Game of Thrones did lose at the winter awards. It was beatable, and I think it would lose to every other Drama Series winner at least since Mad Men Season 4 (which is harder to judge since it won just series and a single tech). It’s just that it was up against shows that didn’t have broad enough support to beat it yet.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Join the circle prayer, please!
    King Madden was incredible though (although I must say that he robbed Porter’s and Rhys’ GG).

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

But it is worth pointing out that Game of Thrones did lose at the winter awards

But it has never performed that well at the winter awards anyway, so that isn’t necessarily a strike against S8 particularly imo. It always did disproportionately better with the Emmys, where it was weak only with writers in 2019, who still ended up nominating that panned finale. The S8 situation is unlike we have ever seen or will probably see anyway. Who knows what could have happened in other years.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

That could happen, but lets not forget Rege got nominated at SAG and so did the ensemble of Bridgerton. Bodyguard, on the other hand, got completely shut out there.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I also still think there is a slight chance it happens, that’s why I have him at 4th. Imo O’Connor, Porter and Brown are more “locked” than him.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

This is a good point and you’re probably right. Thank you for pointing it out. But it is worth pointing out that Game of Thrones did lose at the winter awards. It was beatable, and I think it would lose to every other Drama Series winner at least since Mad Men Season 4 (which is harder to judge since it won just series and a single tech). It’s just that it was up against shows that didn’t have broad enough support to beat it yet.

It was always going to perform badly at the winter awards. Like Couverture said, it has never done that well with them for the previous seasons, so it was never going to win/do better for a season that was literally panned by both critics and its fans. The Academy has always been a huge fan of the show, unlike the other awards groups.

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

But it has never performed that well at the winter awards anyway, so that isn’t necessarily a strike against S8 particularly imo. It always did disproportionately better with the Emmys, where it was weak only with writers in 2019, who still ended up nominating that panned finale. The S8 situation is unlike we have ever seen or will probably see anyway. Who knows what could have happened in other years.

Season 8 performed about as well as Season 7 did when it came to wins, but it was up against way weaker competition than Season 7. Why would it have beaten competition as strong as Season 7’s given that?

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Season 8 performed about as well as Season 7 did when it came to wins, but it was up against way weaker competition than Season 7. Why would it have beaten competition as strong as Season 7’s given that?

The overperformance you are looking for came in nominations majorly. There were still strong enough options to challenge it above the line for wins. It did go back to winning key tech categories like casting and editing tho. Would’ve won directing without triple noms as well most likely.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

The overperformance you are looking for came in nominations majorly. There were still strong enough options to challenge it above the line for wins. It did go back to winning key tech categories like casting and editing tho. Would’ve won directing without triple noms as well most likely.

I actually don’t think it would’ve won, even if had one or two nominations there. “The Long Night” was quite divisive and Sapochnik response to the criticism of the dark cinematography and plot decisions, did not suit well with either audiences or the media.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.