Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 1)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 510 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
puck05
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Found the direction on the second episode of The Undoing to be irritating (which was strange because I liked the direction on the first). But I’ve just noticed a trend.

Jean Marc-Valle – Wins Emmy for directing <i>Big Little Lies</i>.
    – Snubbed in directing for Series nominated Sharp Objects.

Lisa Cholodenko – Wins Emmy for directing Olive Kitteridge.
    – Snubbed in directing for Series nominated Unbelievable.

Is Susanne Bier next?

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

I wonder if it would be smarter for Showtime if they submit Ethan Hawke as a supporting actor rather than lead for The Good Lord Bird. It would probably secure the win and it wouldn’t even be a fraud since Hawke’s character is clearly not the most visible character of the show. He barely appeared in 2 of the 5 episodes so far.

As for The Undoing, I think Hugh Grant’s role will only increase and they should keep him there, especially because he’s the main male character and the story seems to be centered about him.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

He barely appeared in 2 of the 5 episodes so far.

What???? I haven’t seen the show but this is weird.

As for The Undoing, I think Hugh Grant’s role will only increase and they should keep him there, especially because he’s the main male character and the story seems to be centered about him.

If we’re to trust what the critics said then he’s staying Lead.

I though Kidman was the most vulnerable person from The Undoing but I think depending on competition the show is safe-ish in Series and I think Grant and Sutherland will get nominated regardless so after watching the first two episodes even if I didn’t think this was like her best performance it would be hard to see her miss considering how prominent she is in the first two episodes.

It’s interesting how regardless of critical reception or buzz actors from David E. Kelley shows are safe for nominations (Kathy Bates). I think The Undoing will do very well with actors but I’m in a bit of a puzzle with whether Bier will get nominated in directing. She’s quite respected and I think the show will have a better trajectory than Little Fires Everywhere and The Morning Show (well it’s a better show and is I guess more “prestigious”) so if TMS could get Mimi Leder in I don’t see how The Undoing can’t get Bier in but then again if they snubbed Jean Marc-Valle and Lisa Cholodenko after they won previously…

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

A Teacher starts off at 67 on Metacritic (which is lower than where The Undoing and The Comey Rule started). It could stabilise there but I don’t see it happening unless it’s a lone nod for Mara (which is unlikely because Michaela Coel, Cynthia Erivo, Beanie Feldstein, Julia Garner, Nicole Kidman, Kate McKinnon, Julianne Moore, Kate Winslet and Letitia Wright) or Robinson (which is possible because that field is empty).

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

I think The Undoing will do very well with actors but I’m in a bit of a puzzle with whether Bier will get nominated in directing. She’s quite respected and I think the show will have a better trajectory than Little Fires Everywhere and The Morning Show (well it’s a better show and is I guess more “prestigious”) so if TMS could get Mimi Leder in I don’t see how The Undoing can’t get Bier in but then again if they snubbed Jean Marc-Valle and Lisa Cholodenko after they won previously…

I think it depends a lot on the field. I also agree with what you said in some other posts that it depends a lot on how the finale will be perceived. If it ends up being acclaimed, Bier is probably getting in and probably Kelley as well in writing, otherwise I think they’ll just try to avoid nominating anything from the show outside of the acting categories.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Hawke is lead, it don’t make sense a show about the white savior John Brown put the actor who plays him in supporting.

And there’s only one episode where he completely vanishes, but it’s like the Jean Smart one for Watchmen, he appears at the end.

Also, A Teacher started better than I thought it would be, the 80 from Hollywood Reporter surprised me a bit.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

November Predictions

Limited Series

1. Impeachment (TCA)
    2. Inventing Anna (TCA)
    3. The Queen’s Gambit (Globe, CC, PGA, WGA, DGA, BAFTA, TCA)
    4. I May Destroy You (Globe, BAFTA, CC, TCA)
    5. The Undoing (Globe, PGA, DGA, CC, BAFTA)

6. The Good Lord Bird (WGA, CC)
    7. The Underground Railroad (TCA)
    8. Genius : Aretha
    9. The Dropout
    10. Your Honour (Globe, PGA, CC, WGA)

TV Movie

1. Small Axe : Mangrove (Amazon)
    2. Small Axe : Red, White and Blue (Amazon)
    3. Let Them All Talk (HBO Max)
    4. Dolly Parton’s Christmas on the Square (Netflix)
    5. Black Narcissus (FX)

6. Doctor Who : Revolution of the Daleks (BBC America)

Actor

1. Clive Owen, Impeachment
    2. Ethan Hawke, The Good Lord Bird (Globe, CC, SAG, TCA)
    3. Bryan Cranston, Your Honour (Globe, CC, SAG, TCA)
    4. Hugh Grant, The Undoing (Globe, CC, SAG)
    5. John Boyega, Small Axe : Red, White and Blue (CC, BAFTA)

6. Jeff Daniels, The Comey Rule
    7. Nick Robinson, A Teacher
    8. Chris Rock, Fargo (CC)
    9. Andrew Scott, The Pursuit of Love
    10. Rafe Spall, The Salisbury Poisonings

Actress

1. Beanie Feldstein, Impeachment (TCA)
    2. Julia Garner, Inventing Anna
    3. Anya Taylor-Joy, The Queen’s Gambit (Globe, CC, SAG, TCA)
    4. Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You (Globe, CC, BAFTA, TCA)
    5. Nicole Kidman, The Undoing (Globe, CC, SAG)

6. Cynthia Erivo, Genius : Aretha
    7. Kate McKinnon, The Dropout
    8. Thuso Mbedu, The Underground Railroad
    9. Meryl Streep, Let Them All Talk
    10. Letitia Wright, Small Axe : Mangrove

S. Actor

1. Billy Eichner, Impeachment
    2. Donald Sutherland, The Undoing (CC)
    3. Paapa Essiedu, I May Destroy You (CC)
    4. Lewis Reeves, I May Destroy You (CC)
    5. Thomas Brodie Sangster, The Queen’s Gambit
    6. Bill Camp, The Queen’s Gambit (CC)

7. Courtney B. Vance, Genius : Aretha
    8. Joshua Caleb Johnson, The Good Lord Bird
    9. Joel Edgerton, The Underground Railroad
    10. Noah Jupe, The Undoing

S. Actress

1. Sarah Paulson, Impeachment
    2. Margo Martindale, Impeachment
    3. Annaleigh Ashford, Impeachment
    4. Anna Chlumsky, Inventing Anna
    5. Marielle Heller, The Queen’s Gambit (CC)
    6. Weruche Opia, I May Destroy You (CC, BAFTA)

7. Diana Rigg, Black Narcissus (CC)
    8. Jessie Buckley, Fargo (CC)
    9. Laverne Cox, Inventing Anna
    10. Kathy Bates, American Horror Story

Writing

1. Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit (WGA)
    2. Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You
    3. Shonda Rhimes, Inventing Anna
    4. Impeachment
    5. Barry Jenkins, The Underground Railroad

6. Peter Moffat, Your Honour (WGA)
    7. Ethan Hawke and Mark Richard, The Good Lord Bird (“Meet the Lord”) (WGA)
    8. Steve McQueen, Small Axe : Mangrove
    9. The Dropout
    10. Noah Hawley and Stefani Robinson, Fargo (“The Pretend War”)

Directing

1. Michael Uppendahl, Impeachment
    2. David Frankel, Inventing Anna
    3. Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit (DGA)
    4. Michaela Coel and Sam Miller, I May Destroy You (“Ego Death”)
    5. Barry Jenkins, The Underground Railroad
    6. Susanne Bier, The Undoing (DGA)

6. Steve McQueen, Small Axe : Mangrove
    7. Edward Berger, Your Honour
    8. Emily Mortimer, The Pursuit of Love
    9. Sam Miller, I May Destroy You (“Eyes Eyes Eyes”)
    10. Albert Hughes, The Good Lord Bird (“Meet the Lord”)

Total Nominations:

9 – Impeachment
    7 – I May Destroy You, The Queen’s Gambit
    5 – Inventing Anna, The Undoing
    3 – Small Axe
    1 – Black Narcissus, Dolly Parton’s Christmas on the Square, The Good Lord Bird, Let Them All Talk, Your Honour

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

I’m excited for Impeachment the casting actually looks really good.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It looks like David E. Kelley’s new Netflix show has begun shooting in the UK. Sienna Miller is the lead.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18840178.sienna-miller-spotted-sussex-filming-new-netflix-series/

Either this or Nine Perfect Strangers is missing eligibility. Hopefully the latter because I want Sienna Miller to win an Emmy sooner rather than later!

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

2. Ethan Hawke, The Good Lord Bird (Globe, CC, SAG, TCA)
    4. Hugh Grant, The Undoing (Globe, CC, SAG)

I love how ties happen at the Critics Choice so often that we actually predict them now.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The way Lily Rabe is just going to cancel herself out in the supporting actress category because of being on the ballot three times…

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Every new episode of Fargo come and go and i keep wondering who thought Chris Rock was a good idea for this role.

He is doing terrible my god.

Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

Every new episode of Fargo come and go and i keep wondering who thought Chris Rock was a good idea for this role. He is doing terrible my god.

Rock was obviously miscast and they’re underusing Buckley whose character feels the most like Fargo. Such a waste.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Rock was obviously miscast and they’re underusing Buckley whose character feels the most like Fargo. Such a waste.

I don’t understand the predictions for Fargo in Series. I’ve seen some editors predict it at the Globes instead of The UndoingNormal People and I May Destroy You which makes no sense because those shows have more buzz.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I quite agree, she barely appeared on the last three episodes, and right now the show is CW-level cringe worthing acting from everyone, except maybe Ben Whinshaw

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 510 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.