Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 2)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 510 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
puck05
  • Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

The Good Lord Bird remains the superior limited so far
    I will stan till the day I die

I love how Joshua Caleb Johnson got in at both Critics Choice and Satellite Awards. Hopefully he doesn’t lose his momentum until the Emmys.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

<i>Wandavision </i>now has a 7.7 on IMDB. I was sceptical at first because show’s usually have a 7.7 or higher when they get Limited Series nominations and after the first two episodes this one didn’t but it’s popularity and buzz seems to be growing more and more.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

<i>Wandavision </i>now has a 7.7 on IMDB. I was sceptical at first because show’s usually have a 7.7 or higher when they get Limited Series nominations and after the first two episodes this one didn’t but it’s popularity and buzz seems to be growing more and more.

I am enjoying the show since the premiere, but I think the 4th episode put the show in a better light with the audience, especially because it was a little more into what Marvel stans usually love. I have some friends who weren’t big fans of the first episodes, mostly because of the format… I guess maybe it was a little too weird for them?

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Good point I forgot about Coleman haha. Although I would have assumed she’d go lead considering how borderline her role is no?

Having completed the show, I think supporting would be a valid placement for her. Her role is the third biggest in the show. Bamber’s role isn’t big enough (or acted well enough) to gain awards traction anywhere either, so Coleman would have an open supporting field.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I have trouble seeing Wandavision breaking through, tbh. It’s really a show for marvel followers and the industry didn’t show they were fans of the universe, with the exception of Black Panther.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

What are you predicting at the moment hopelesstar?

It’s kinda hard to say before having a clear picture of what’s going to air or how the shows look like. The Queen’s Gambit is obviously a lock, although I kinda don’t see it winning in the end. Netflix seems to have other limited offerings with Inventing Anna and Halston, with the first one looking more like an acting play more than anything else to me. Most people would say there is a Ryan Murphy fatigue, but I don’t really think it’s the case among the acting branch nor craft people. If Halson get the support from directors and writers that Hollywood couldn’t get, it’s possible it makes it in.

HBO has the promising I May Destroy You but it has multiple obstacles to overcome like airing very early and the fact it’s not that accessible. It might end up being just a critics show. We have to see how it performs in the next few weeks. I have hesitations regarding Mare of easttown. It’s giving me Sharp Objects vibes and it’s not something voters ended up being passionate about. I feel like critics are kinda tired of those kind of limited series with A-Listers so the show might not even get that much critical support. Speaking of which, The Undoing will be lucky to get Grant and Sutherland in, I believe it won’t get more than that.

The underground railroad looks like a very strong contender to me, even possible winner, if Amazon is capable of making it a thing and not something most people ultimately don’t care about like Small Axe (that I only see potentially getting directing nom).

Little Fires Everywhere was underestimated a lot last year, so it’s possible Nine Perfect Strangers becomes a player. And even if it only serves The Act, it should be able to breakthrough in acting based on Hulu’s recent track record. Tho there might some Nicole Kidman fatigue, and that’s why I would currenty bet on Melissa McCarthy happening over her (I expect her in lead based on people who have read the book saying her character is more prominent than Kidman’s).

I don’t want to comment on UK shows like It’s A Sin or The Serpent before they actually air in the US. Tho I would be surprised if they happen.

Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

WandaVision had 7.5 before the forth episode, so it got higher after that. After the finale, the show will have a 9, mark my words, it will blow the internet.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Don’t think IMDY will be hurt at all, it’s Watchmen all over again*

*In a way smaller scale obviously

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

These Golden Globe (whilst I’m here fuck you HFPA) nominations are a gift to I May Destroy You. It’s trending on Twitter in both the UK and the US and a lot of high profile people from the industry on both sides of the Atlantic are up in arms about it being snubbed at the Globes.

I won’t be surprised if it gets a strong response in wins from Critics Choice and BAFTA now.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Interstella 5555
    Topics:

First time posting in this thread, so I’m not sure if this has already been answered:

Does anybody know if Hamilton is eligible for this category or for Variety Special?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I am midway through The Serpent and I have to say I can see this landing very well when it lands on Netflix. It’s very much tailor made for binge viewing (which is ironic considering its dark and disturbing premise).

Also Jenna Coleman. My gosh it’s almost hard to even recognise her in this role.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

I am midway through The Serpent and I have to say I can see this landing very well when it lands on Netflix. It’s very much tailor made for binge viewing (which is ironic considering its dark and disturbing premise).

Also Jenna Coleman. My gosh it’s almost hard to even recognise her in this role.

It feels like something that could explode if handled correctly. It’s bingeworthy, escapism, and has an interesting story without being too complex. It basically has a similar appeal to The Queen’s Gambit, even down to the hype around the stylish looks of its characters (Coleman specifically, who looks amazing in every scene). I guess The Serpent doesn’t have the chess novelty though.

For Your Consideration:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What these past 24 hours have told me is that I May Destroy You is going to surge as this season goes along. As I’ve said the horrific Globes shut out has given it a resurgence in public interest a bit like how quarantine viewing helped  Succession and Watchmen last year. People in the industry on both sides of the Atlantic left, right and centre are still tweeting about how atrocious its shut out was. I think in Limited/Movie Writing after the combination of the Globe shut out and the WGA nominations that Coel remains unharmed as the frontrunner. The only person I can see having any chance at stopping her from winning that category is Russell T. Davies if It’s a Sin lands with audiences and industry members in the US but that’s it.

I May Destroy You also will certainly be the most nominated show of the year at BAFTA like Chernobyl was last year and Killing Eve was the year before. It’s had a similar cultural impact to those shows here. Especially now this news has given it a boost (although I don’t think it really needed one at BAFTA) there because voting is currently underway for the BAFTA television awards.

I guess The Serpent doesn’t have the chess novelty though.

What else perhaps helps it is the current obsession with true crime dramas. Its part of the reason why Dirty John has been so successful on Netflix outside of the US and why we’re getting so many seasons of American Crime Story whilst getting a single season of Feud.

I think if television academy members get past episode 2 there’s no way Rahim, Coleman (if she goes supporting although I have a weird feeling Netflix will f*** up the submissions and put her in lead) and even Howle miss the nomination. It feels more like The Night Manager rather than a Giri/Haji in potential.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

I think if television academy members get past episode 2 there’s no way Rahim, Coleman (if she goes supporting although I have a weird feeling Netflix will f*** up the submissions and put her in lead) and even Howle miss the nomination. It feels more like The Night Manager rather than a Giri/Haji in potential.

It needs to be a hit for them to watch, so Netflix need to promote it well. It needs a Netflix trailer (the BBC trailer wasn’t great imo) plastered everywhere. I would love a Howle nomination – he nails the Dutch accent, as does Coleman with her Quebecois French. He’s more of a lead than her, but I think they could fraud him into supporting too.

For Your Consideration:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Post Globe, WGA and SAG nominations predictions.

Limited Series

1. The Queen’s Gambit (Netflix)
    2. I May Destroy You (HBO)
    3. Small Axe (Amazon)
    4. It’s a Sin (HBO Max)
    5. The Underground Railroad (Amazon)

6. Wandavision (Disney+)
    7. Mare of Easttown (HBO)
    8. Nine Perfect Strangers (Hulu)
    9. Inventing Anna (Netflix)
    10. The Serpent (Netflix)

Actress

1. Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You
    2. Anya Taylor-Joy, The Queen’s Gambit
    3. Cynthia Erivo, Genius : Aretha
    4. Julia Garner, Inventing Anna
    5. Thuso Mbedu, The Underground Railroad

6. Kate Winslet, Mare of Easttown
    7. Lydia West, It’s a Sin
    8. Melissa McCarthy, Nine Perfect Strangers
    9. Elizabeth Olsen, Wandavision
    10. Nicole Kidman, Nine Perfect Strangers

Actor

1. Ethan Hawke, The Good Lord Bird
    2. Ewan McGregor, Halston
    3. Olly Alexander, It’s a Sin
    4. Hugh Grant, The Undoing
    5. Paul Bettany, Wandavision

6. Leslie Odom-Jr., Hamilton
    7. Lin Manuel-Miranda, Hamilton
    8. Tahar Rahim, The Serpent
    9. Bryan Cranson, Your Honour
    10. Jeff Daniels, The Comey Rule

Supporting <b>Actress </b>

1. Anna Chlumsky, Inventing Anna
    2. Marielle Heller, The Queen’s Gambit
    3. Jean Smart, Mare of Easttown
    4. Keeley Hawes, It’s a Sin
    5. Weruche Opia, I May Destroy You
    6. Amber Gray, The Underground Railroad

7. Jenna Coleman, The Serpent
    8. Kathryn Hahn, Wandavision
    9. Laverne Cox, Inventing Anna
    10. Krysta Rodriguez, Halston

Supporting Actor

1. John Boyega, Small Axe
    2. Bill Camp, The Queen’s Gambit 
    3. Thomas Brodie-Sangster, The Queen’s Gambit
    4. Shaun Parkes, Small Axe
    5. Donald Sutherland, The Undoing
    6. Paapa Essiedu, I May Destroy You

7. Joshua Caleb Johnson, The Good Lord Bird
    8. Neil Patrick Harris, It’s a Sin
    9. Joel Edgerton, The Underground Railroad
    10. Callum Scott-Howells, It’s a Sin

Writing

1. Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You
    2. Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit
    3. Russell T. Davies, It’s a Sin
    4. Alistair Siddons and Steve McQueen, Small Axe (“Mangrove”)
    5. Barry Jenkins, The Underground Railroad

6. Jac Shaeffer, Wandavision (“Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience”)
    7. Bobak Esfarjani and Megan McDonnell, Wandavision (“We Interrupt This Program”)
    8. Brad Ingelsby, Mare of Easttown
    9. Mark Richard and Ethan Hawke, The Good Lord Bird (“Last Words”)
    10. Shonda Rhimes, Inventing Anna

Directing

1. Steve McQueen, Small Axe
    2. Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit
    3. Barry Jenkins, The Underground Railroad
    4. Matt Shakman, Wandavision
    5. Michaela Coel and Sam Miller, I May Destroy You (“Ego Death”)
    6. Peter Hoar, It’s a Sin

7. Gavin O’Connor, Mare of Easttown
    8. David Frankel, Inventing Anna
    9. Jonathan Levine, Nine Perfect Strangers
    10. Tom Shankland, The Serpent (“Episode 1”)

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 510 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.