Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 2)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 510 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
puck05
  • Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Viola Davis was in an ABC show for six years.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Viola Davis was in an ABC show for six years.

Except that was before the rise of streaming and before she won her Oscar. Zellweger is starring in an NBC miniseries after she’s won two Oscars and in the era off streaming domination.

I am not saying Zellweger can’t happen but it’s surprising she’s on an NBC miniseries and she has a lot of hurdles in her way. I hope she does though because I will always root for her (unless it’s a Cold Mountain or a What/if level of bad).

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I am sticking with my initial instincts about Heller being forgotten come Emmy season (not that she made much of an impact before it anyway). She missed Globes, Satellites and now that a small role like that of Bill Camp can get in over favourites like Cranston at SAG because of the show’s popularity, Heller probably should have too if she was actually a thing and the show’s prime acting contender outside of Taylor Joy IMO. At least she has that CC nom. An Emmy nomination might be possible but I seriously doubt that she’s anywhere near being win competitive.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Heller is not win competitive for the Emmy but the idea that because Camp got in that she should have gotten in is very flawed IMO. Just like the idea that Fanning flopped yesterday when her show got into ensemble and Actor. There is a big disparity in competition between both the Actor and Actress races this year. Heller was probably 6th (as was Fanning in her category).

But yeah agreed she’s not winning. It’s not the type of performance that fits the mould of winners in this category. I’d say Chlumsky is the early frontrunner unless her role isn’t that showy or <i>Inventing Anna </i>flops and that Keeley Hawes has a shot at the win if It’s a Sin lands. Obviously there is also Jean Smart.

If she gets snubbed though then The Queen’s Gambit is not winning limited series.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Heller is not win competitive for the Emmy but the idea that because Camp got in that she should have gotten in is very flawed IMO. Just like the idea that Fanning flopped yesterday when her show got into ensemble and Actor. There is a big disparity in competition between both the Actor and Actress races this year. Heller was probably 6th (as was Fanning in her category).

I’d disagree there. He made the cut over 3/5 lead Emmy nominess from last year, Jim Parsons, John Boyega, both Hamilton leads, Brendan Gleeson, Jeff Daniels, Chris Rock, Chris Evans.. and that too for a performance that some are doubting would meet the eligibility criteria to even be nominated in supporting. If Heller was as big as she was thought to be she could have certainly kicked someone out IMO when her show proved to be this strong.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

It should also be said that Bill Camp has accumulated a massive list of TV and film credits over the years. It seems like he’s worked with half the industry at this point. This clearly has gradually built up into a solid level of support from actors. I think it was this, in combination with the show’s popularity (and maybe his name starting with C) which allowed him to break into such a competitive category.

This is Heller’s first major acting role, and she hasn’t got the industry name recognition as an actor to get into a packed category like that.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Profile picture
    Hollywood8651
    Topics:

So I guess we know that Camp is clearly the strongest of TQG’s men in the hunt for a nomination.

So do people think Camp is gonna lead for Emmys for supporting actor over Brodie-Sangster? Since Queens Gambit popularity rise I have seen much more things about Brodie-Sangster’s performance then Camp’s. Is it possible they could maybe both be nominated or has the SAG award nomination for Camp given him a better advantage at being nominated alone?

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Wendy Williams: The Movie” delivered staggering viewership numbers, besting all cable movies in the last nine months among adults 25-54 (1.2 million), women 25-54 (893,000), adults 18-49 (958,000) and women 18-49 (682,000) in Live+3 ratings (according to Nielsen Media Research). The biopic drew 2.9 million total viewers in Live+3 and was the top telecast in prime time on January 30 with W25-54 and W18-49.

Immediately following the biopic was the documentary “Wendy Williams: What a Mess!” which became Lifetime’s best non-fiction telecast in more than two years among total viewers (2.6 million) and women 25-54 (802,000) in Live+3. It currently ranks as cable’s #1 documentary of the year among all key demos.”

An early frontrunner for TV Movie? (per Deadline, x)

WendyTheMovie

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

I’m really curious how voters will respond to WandaVision, with each episode it’s becoming more typical Marvel.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I’m really curious how voters will respond to WandaVision, with each episode it’s becoming more typical Marvel.

Thats why I don’t think it will be embraced except in techs. Marvel never had the prestige Star Wars has and The Mandalorian didn’t get any extra noms after techs and series (in a field of 8).

Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

It’s probably unlikely, but could Camp end up being ineligible at the Emmys? I believe he needs 5% screentime, which would roughly translate to 19-20 minutes. IMDb has him listed for four episodes, which surprised me since I thought he appeared in less.

A Google search of the show puts the duration of the series at 6 hours and 33 minutes, which would roughly correlate to 19,65 minutes required for eligibility. The first episode puts him well above 10 minutes, but then he’s a cameo of less than a minute in the next episodes. I haven’t timed screentime before and no idea how to do it correctly, so take this with a grain of salt, but I calculated roughly 11-12 minutes, thus not eligible at the Emmys. I hope Riley will weigh in.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Does your total include congruent screen time Eden? Because back in 2019 both Marsha Stephanie Blake and John Leguizamo managed to make eligibility due to being in the same scenes as other characters whilst not necessarily having screen time or being actually on screen (if that makes sense).  It’s a strange loop hole the Academy should really end.

Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

I just LOL at some panicking with what The Queen’s Gambit might accomplishment at this awards season.  Heck even trying to downplay the mini series, ex. Camp’s nomination at SAG.

I know the Emmys is a long way to go but downplaying the success and obviously the love within the industry for it is completely in desperation mode just to push their own favorites in here.

Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

Does your total include congruent screen time Eden? Because back in 2019 both Marsha Stephanie Blake and John Leguizamo managed to make eligibility due to being in the same scenes as other characters whilst not necessarily having screen time or being actually on screen (if that makes sense). It’s a strange loop hole the Academy should really end.

I did try to include him being in a scene by moving chess figures, showing only his fingers, him standing in a dark corner and being in the same room without being seen. I’m sure there’s room for extending his screentime from the 11 minutes I calculated, but he would need additional 8 minutes, at least.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I did try to include him being in a scene by moving chess figures, showing only his fingers, him standing in a dark corner and being in the same room without being seen. I’m sure there’s room for extending his screentime from the 11 minutes I calculated, but he would need additional 8 minutes, at least.

Ah ok.

Yeah but it sounds like he is probably ineligible for the Emmys. What I usually do is I count the scenes a performer is in as congruent screen time (until their characters of course exit the scene).

This supporting actor race is very interesting  because I think a lot of top contenders are facing questionable screen time eligibility. Not only Camp but also Neil Patrick Harris in It’s a Sin (who as far as I have calculated appears to only be in 4.5% of the show) and Lewis Reeves in I May Destroy You. Is Daveed Diggs eligible for <i>The Good Lord Bird</i>? I assume William Jackson Harper might face a similar barrier in <i>The Underground Railroad </i>considering his role is a recurring one on the show, he is in none of the teasers for the show and he is only credited for 3 out of the show’s 11 episodes on IMDB.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 510 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.